paxton vs roe cost vs performance

BadBoyM

Has Left the Room - Banned from VTCOA!
Reaction score
Ok I think I have put this off for long enough. Can everyone please post up and tell me what is better paxton or roe? ie, cost, performance, maintenance, reliability. Also, I am assuming boomer installs the paxton and roe in florida installs the roe. i have about 17500.00 for mods and wanted to know how far that will get me. also i have a qc so for 17500.00 what times would the truck be expected to run? im sure this has come up before so if this is a repost i apologize.

thanks in advance
rodney

It's not really of a question of which...it is a question of what you want. Where do you ultimately want to be? How often are you going to race and what is your goal?

Both add boost, both have advantages and disadvantages...how much hp do you want to make? There are lots of questions to ask before you ask which SC you want to buy...

One major criterion...you are in Indiana...that is Boomer territory...just from that you will probably be better off with a Paxson...

Prof said:
It's not really of a question of which...it is a question of what you want. Where do you ultimately want to be? How often are you going to race and what is your goal?

Both add boost, both have advantages and disadvantages...how much hp do you want to make? There are lots of questions to ask before you ask which SC you want to buy...

One major criterion...you are in Indiana...that is Boomer territory...just from that you will probably be better off with a Paxson...
i probably wont race consistantly. just want something that will beat a z06 on the street. plus they look and sound cool.

Ahhhh....this very question has been posed more than once. I like the both of them.

I think the big difference is the computer set up and also I think (Correct me if I am wrong Roy) that the Roe gives you boost all the way through the power curve, while you have to build up the boost with the Paxton.

Which means if you buy the Roe, your going to be burning up tires off the line if you arent careful.:)

Z06's can run low 12's stock...you will have to push your truck to get them consistently...Both the Roe and the Paxson will add 150 hp...you will have transmission issues to deal with if you push much beyond an additional 150 hp...

Why not trade your truck and about $20k for 1fast400's quad cab? No stock Z06 will stick with his truck...have not heard how his oil pump issue has worked out, but that is a build that will consistently run 10's.

He has nothing but the best, it is a very well built truck...and I think one of the fastest around...along with Blakes...Stinker....Nowwhat...his Roe is a very heavy duty compressor that Roe built specially for him. PM him and see what he wants for the truck and what he has done to resolve the oil pump issue.

Being an automatic be prepared to put out some money to upgrade your tranny. Not sure at what horsepower level its needed but that will take a chunk out of your funds.

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
Being an automatic be prepared to put out some money to upgrade your tranny. Not sure at what horsepower level its needed but that will take a chunk out of your funds.
do i need to upgrade the tranny with just a supercharger in stall?

17k "should" get you through the trans and a SC... going to be close though

I thought the Paxton and ROE were comparative in price:hmmmm2:

$8500. for the Trans (installed)
$8500. for the SC (installed)
:dontknow:
Prof,1fast400, (someone is completing an install, as well as others starting) and myself have them... I have not had much time to play with the truck (got 6 - 8 passes on it). My best to date 12.5... on a slow:( 3rd gear shift.
ROE was able to begin "our" installations on the TMTS since September 06' respectively, and is "new" to everyone, not much history on it vs the Paxton... At the Nat's this year maybe we can get them lined up and get some challenges in. ROE on stock internals... Paxton on stock internals... :burnout: :rock:
I have seen the Paxton on stock internals run 12.2... and I know the ROE has that in it as well... so it may boil down to whatcha like looking at when you pop the hood.
Have fun, and good luck:D

I appreciate your question line here. I'm in the same boat right now. I pm'd Django to ask him about his setup. I also am trying to decide how far to push it.
Let's stay on this one and stay in touch until we figure out what were after.
:D

sleeper said:
Nowwhat was running in the 11's with just paxton and stock block and heads.

Sorry for the "miss"... I even looked at the timeslip section:eek: ...must have mis read it....and thought Mike was spraying that run. :dontknow: Musta been the medication.;)

Kudos to Mike for the 11's in a quad... it is quite impressive, and was a fun journey watching hiim get there.
I remember Need4speed and Nowhat kind of being the East / West battle of the quads for a while...then Need4 kind of reduced his time here.....
Mike got the Supertank into the 11's in a quad.:star:

The automatic runs into a lot of issues. The tranny is 7500 bucks or so (I've had 3 of them). You can run either SC on low boost with stock internals, but if you plan on beating on it, you need to rip the motor out. Upgrading the internals, assuming you provide the block/crank will run about 10 grand. That's for a spinning assembly (rods/pistons/mains/cams), you'll still need to upgrade your valvetrain. If I recall, my motor was about 15k, but that counted the strikers. So once you get the motor done, then you get to buy the supercharger. You got the tranny working, so what's next? The rearend with the smaller brakes so you can actually run a slick. Those new rims/slicks/rearend will run about 4k total.

The good news is when you hook all this massive amount of power up in either application (paxton/roe), you'll may twist your block in half from all the torque. When you hook up the type of power you're making, it will find the weakest link in your build. Remember, this isn't a 3500lb car, it's a 6k/lb truck, everything is different.

If I were you, I'd run VERY minimal boost, keep everything stock internally. I'd search the forum for the posts stinker made about upgrading some internals on the automatic tranny. Realize you'll be limited at the race track due to the tire issue, but last time I checked you don't use slicks on the interstate.

To help you save some money, check with jrgnd as he had his tranny built by someone in VA. I don't believe he has reported any problems, and he is running 11's on street tires.

Well I'm getting a Paxton and I'm going to boomer for it. The paxton install by itself is running me $11.5K Next in line once I have money again would be some good headers.... figure $1800? Next in line is an upgraded tranny, I figure 3-8K cuz I dont know. Then forged internals and nos. I'll probably stop there.
So... I'd say paxton, headers, and tranny build if it were me with 17.5 in my pocket

Unfortunatley, none of us really want to go the common sense route; which would have us spending money on strength vs. performance first. Spending money on forged pistons and a tranny first aren't nearly as exciting as the performance gains of a supercharger. But by taking preventive measures first, you possibly save yourself additional, unnecessary expenses in the future (i.e. if you put the sc on first and break a piston, you risk destroying the motor).

So, if you find yourself depleting your cash reserves quickly, you may want to consider your order of purchase. It may save you some headaches in the future.

If you are just looking for low boost daily driving fun, then I would get the twinscrew over the centri any day. The torque curve is like a table top versus the centri and is at max boost at around 2500 rpms (WOT). The centri needs more rpm to max out its boost...

Tom said:
If you are just looking for low boost daily driving fun, then I would get the twinscrew over the centri any day. The torque curve is like a table top versus the centri and is at max boost at around 2500 rpms (WOT). The centri needs more rpm to max out its boost...
what brand is the twin screw?

mcrodney said:
what brand is the twin screw?
Roe's

I have done a centri, twin turbos and a twinscrew all on the same car. Twinscrew all the way for me. But my taste is for road smiling and an occasional track "test and tune". I am not a drag racer nor do I street race. I just love to hit the happy pedal and feel the torque slam me back in my seat. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back