PCM problem?

SRTShelton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my dilemma, I have a 04 with 74xxx miles on it and my crankshaft position sensor and cam position sensor have been replaced twice in a month. Two cold fronts came in both times they needed to be replaced. Low and behold another cold front, another sensor out. I called the stealership and they said it is possibly the PCM. Anybody else have this problem with theirs that led to the PCM as the problem? Thanks guys its getting really aggravating leaving me places

I have an '04 and live in a place where we see pretty extreme temperature changes. I have never had this problem.

it's probably not the cold, but the moisture that comes with it. There have been a few PCM's with cracked cases.

Also, you might want to check the plugs for corrosion

You might ask that they remove front cover and tighten cam gear. 03-04 had an issue with cam bolts coming loose. It will grind into cam sensor and render it useless. Cam and crank sensor don't both go bad simultaneously, rather they are replacing both knowing one is the issue. Kinda taking the fast track to repair. Ask them if they noticed cam sensor gouges.
Otherwise I just don't see it that often at all! :rock:

You might ask that they remove front cover and tighten cam gear. 03-04 had an issue with cam bolts coming loose. It will grind into cam sensor and render it useless. Cam and crank sensor don't both go bad simultaneously, rather they are replacing both knowing one is the issue. Kinda taking the fast track to repair. Ask them if they noticed cam sensor gouges.
Otherwise I just don't see it that often at all! :rock:

When I replaced the cam sensor, no gouges or any mark what so ever was on the metal tip, once I replaced them both the first time within a week, shortly after I had to replace the cps again, then shortly after the cps. It is extremely aggravating and disappointing

When I replaced the cam sensor, no gouges or any mark what so ever was on the metal tip, once I replaced them both the first time within a week, shortly after I had to replace the cps again, then shortly after the cps. It is extremely aggravating and disappointing

Cam sensor has a plastic tip. If you saw metal it was too far in. It had to be set in just right to shave the edge of the plastic on sensor but not into plastic revealing magnet.

Sorry i remember now, it was the crank sensor that had the exposed metal tip

Sorry i remember now, it was the crank sensor that had the exposed metal tip

Make a mark around bolt flange of cam sensor for pretty close reinstall if its good. You have to find the high step on cam sensor and install flush against gear. First crank shears the air gap correctly to read cam position. :burnout:
Good luck!

Could a bad battery be the source of the problem? Sending a low voltage to the sensors? This last time the battery was dead when the sensor went out. These cold snaps are killing me!

Could a bad battery be the source of the problem? Sending a low voltage to the sensors? This last time the battery was dead when the sensor went out. These cold snaps are killing me!

Honestly it could be as I've seen batteries do weird things on Rams in general.
It wouldn't destroy crank/can sensors though. It could not start or run right though. Check cables, grounds, etc as well while checking battery. Most auto parts places will do it for free. They can check alt. as well. If you have a DVM then ensure battery is above 12 volts prior to your cold start of the day. If not replace/charge battery. If it is, start engine and now check battery voltage to ensure its 13.5-14 or so. Dirty/corroded cables can cause havoc as well.
Keep posting and we'll get her ironed out :burnout:

New battery installed, new cam position installed, no start. Moving on to crank position sensor......

Shelton, can you confirm that the problem you are having is that the truck cranks but will not run?

Truck turns over, no start. Cam position sensor was installed at the same depth as factory (I can see the shiny metal where it has been sitting) the cam gear at the high step position? How do u check this?

Truck turns over, no start. Cam position sensor was installed at the same depth as factory (I can see the shiny metal where it has been sitting) the cam gear at the high step position? How do u check this?

Stick your finger in hole and you can feel when it's closer and your finger doesn't go as far in. That's where ya want it;)
There are measurements but don't know off top of my head.
You should be good it sounds. Go for crank sensor and you know it's that one going out for sure.

Crank position sensor changed and it's rolling again, must be the autozone parts?? Anyways thanks guys

Crank position sensor changed and it's rolling again, must be the autozone parts?? Anyways thanks guys
Glad you got it going. Next time you need a performance part for your truck, keep in mind that VR1 Racing helped you out for free, even though he makes his living working on these things.

Glad you got it going. Next time you need a performance part for your truck, keep in mind that VR1 Racing helped you out for free, even though he makes his living working on these things.

Will do, next time I want to drop some cash on performance parts, I know who to contact

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back