Pinging under boost. WTF???

A Blank flash is what I have that I then adjust with the VEC. IMO it doesnt work all that well becuase the PCM and the VEC argue sometimes. I was thinking of having DC or Boomer make me another blower flash with timing and fuel stepped up and then just tame it down a bit with the VEC and see what happens.

Blakewilder said:
A Blank flash is what I have that I then adjust with the VEC. IMO it doesnt work all that well becuase the PCM and the VEC argue sometimes. I was thinking of having DC or Boomer make me another blower flash with timing and fuel stepped up and then just tame it down a bit with the VEC and see what happens.

I don't understand how the 2 argue. Has anyone else had a problem with the VEC2 not getting along with the PCM? Or do you think the problem is because you have a flash added?

I'm gonna just offfer suggestions on what he can check, too much can get heated over how everyone percieves the way to do something.

If he tries the stock computer and it doesnt ping, then the timing of the flash will need dropped a notch or two, may not be much, every truck is different.

If not then he can check the pump pressure, and tell if the pumps are kicking on.

Nowwhat is 10000000% correct though, it needs dyno tuning to be right, that has been stressed on billion times, but the way it is now he still shouldnt have to much dtonation.

Here is where the debate comes sometimes.
Personally I think Injectors should be changed , at least to 42lb injectors, dont squeezze the stock ones, install injectors that can easily handle the load

And my one big thorn, I really dont like the idea of two pumps or an FMU at all, I think its a bandaid, Jack really dissagrees with me on this as others.
but why not just put one pump on to over handle the problem and then you have no questions.
Pump that can handle 1000hp you make 800hp pump is fine
Pump goes out , truck shuts off, no one pump running , wonder if the other one is:confused:

But then again I like keeping it simple also:D

Stinker said:
I'm gonna just offfer suggestions on what he can check, too much can get heated over how everyone percieves the way to do something.

If he tries the stock computer and it doesnt ping, then the timing of the flash will need dropped a notch or two, may not be much, every truck is different.

If not then he can check the pump pressure, and tell if the pumps are kicking on.

Nowwhat is 10000000% correct though, it needs dyno tuning to be right, that has been stressed on billion times, but the way it is now he still shouldnt have to much dtonation.

Here is where the debate comes sometimes.
Personally I think Injectors should be changed , at least to 42lb injectors, dont squeezze the stock ones, install injectors that can easily handle the load

And my one big thorn, I really dont like the idea of two pumps or an FMU at all, I think its a bandaid, Jack really dissagrees with me on this as others.
but why not just put one pump on to over handle the problem and then you have no questions.
Pump that can handle 1000hp you make 800hp pump is fine
Pump goes out , truck shuts off, no one pump running , wonder if the other one is:confused:

But then again I like keeping it simple also:D

mAKES sense to me on the pump issue.....what would one need to enhance the fuel system capabilities....a big ass pump and larger injectors? anything else?

In my opinion, a better single pump, with larger injectors say 42lb injectors, with a regulator and in doing that you will need fuel rails.

Me and Jack went over this for two weeks before I decided which way to go and like he said its better to have too much of a fuel system than not enough.

If your fuel system is capable of supporting say 700hp and you are only making 5-600 then you never run out of fuel.

Alot of people run the fmu's and they work great,, Jack even supports them , but my personal prefference is I would rather have one pump to worry about than take the chanceon something failing.

But you are alo looking at tapppin into the tank mounting and running new fuel lines to the new rails and injectors then out to the regulator and back to the tank, so its not a walk in the park.

But like I say, Gary and DC all have great performance from what they do, and reliable, I am just taking the extra step to insure my invested dollars:D

remember, this system was designed to be a 'bolt on' for the factory truck and the 'do it yourself-ers', when you get into replacing oem parts, they try to avoid.. (fuel pump), so instead they give you 2 additional pumps, and a FMU and call it a day. With the years of R/D they have, and the many kits (viper cars and trucks) this system has been proven very well in my humble opinion.

-Red

Patrick I definitly am not saying its a bad design or system, there are tons out there doing well. And Garys work and Nowwhats ride are proof of that.

I am just going the extra step to hopefully not loose any more invested dollars;)

Im running the split second box that came with it. So far, no problems since the rebuiild and DC's flash. I have noticed (since we're talking about issues) that in maybe first or second gear if I get on it hard then immediately decelerate the rpm's hang around 1500 or so for a few seconds before settling down. Havent noticed it before. Will have to take it out again.

Super discussion...lots of learning going on here. The different perspectives are very informative...no arguments, just lots of views on the issue that help us all.

whooooaaaaaaaaa. everyone calm down.
first:
at what boost psi /rpm do you get pinging
when this happens what does your AF gauge show
tell me these 2 pieces of data, and i can narrow your problem down. its a simple solution.
look at your boost gauge, AF gauge, and tach, and give me the readings.

Take this into consideration while I go mail SilverSrt his wires.

An injector that is stock on a stock engine runs at say 50-75% of injector width depending on load.

Install a blower, turbo, or Nos, Now that stock injector is running at 100% or even trying to get more, now the spray pattern becomes a garden hose.

Install larger injectors on the FI engine and now it is pushing about 50-60% again with a better spray pattern and not working near as hard to produce as the stock ones did.

The fuel pumps with the FMU's are awesome and a "cheap" way for Paxton to deliver the product, and it works.
But in upgrading the system, now the FI is capable of producing more power without straining the system, with less likely failure.

These are just my views, maybe Boomer or Nowwhat will chime in on this and give theirs, also I am still old school in the way I do things, if its simple and less complicted with less things to go wrong, I like it:D
Sorta like the old days, you build up your ford or chevy , you installed a bigger carb and better fuel pump to supply it.:p

oh and dont mess with my post while I'm gone Gary!!!LOLOLOL

I'll take away your trycycle for a day!LOLOL:rock: :burnout:

Stinker said:
Hey maccaronni head!!!:rock:

He doesnt have a air fuel guage:(

or I dont think he has a fuel pressure guage either:D
a doctor cant check you over with a scope, and driving a vehicle without a Boost, and AF gauge is like flying blind.
his problem could be as simple as not having a good vacuum/boost signal at the split second box or FMU. with out the data from the gauges, you cant diagnose a problem, or catch one before it becomes severe.

Stinker said:

An injector that is stock on a stock engine runs at say 50-75% of injector width depending on load.

Install a blower, turbo, or Nos, Now that stock injector is running at 100% or even trying to get more, now the spray pattern becomes a garden hose.

Install larger injectors on the FI engine and now it is pushing about 50-60% again with a better spray pattern and not working near as hard to produce as the stock ones did.

The fuel pumps with the FMU's are awesome and a "cheap" way for Paxton to deliver the product, and it works.
But in upgrading the system, now the FI is capable of producing more power without straining the system, with less likely failure.

These are just my views, maybe Boomer or Nowwhat will chime in on this and give theirs, also I am still old school in the way I do things, if its simple and less complicted with less things to go wrong, I like it:D
Sorta like the old days, you build up your ford or chevy , you installed a bigger carb and better fuel pump to supply it.:p
to run bigger injectors requires extensive mapping thru out the closed loop and open loop programs, as well as a boosted map for open loop.
being that a vehicle is only under boost for a limited time (with a supercharger-sc's are rpm based, where as a turbo is load based)
a fuel pump/ fmu setup works great, as for the boosted period, the fuel pressure is raised which allows for more volume of fuel to be sprayed during the same injector pulse width so the injector isnt being overworked.
this simple approach is what makes a paxton install reliable for the average hot rodder.
now a turbo is load based, so larger injectors, fuel system, and new engine management are required as a turbo can build boost low in the rpm band just going up a hill-there for a larger injector/fuel system/ecm should be implented

Boomer,
I will make this quick since i am busy at work.It pings at 5-6 lbs of boost.I will not be driving it under boost until i get this ironed out.I do appreciate the vast input being made here.I am learning a lot.:)

Stinker said:

Stink,
let me know how much I owe you .I can paypal it or send money order . let me know .Thanks! Bill

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back