Pinks All Out story!!

mopower1958

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a blast at pinks. It was all good excet when the GTO BLEW UP beside me in the staging lanes! I had my helmet on,my window net up,and my window down. I had just cranked my car and a HUGE explosion went off right beside me. All I could see was fire to my left side so I rolled up as far as I could ahead of him and cut my car off. About 50 feet in front of me landed part of the hood and front bumper, this was 10 or 15 seconds after the car exploded. My car was covered in insulation,antifreeze,engine oil and plastic intake pieces. There were several pieces of intake inside my car too. It burned my vinyl top in a couple of places,chipped the paint on my drivers door,left a small scuff mark and dent in my front fender and two dents in the drip rail molding. Evidently his nitrous solenoid hung open and filled the intake up and when he went to crank it kaboom. It pushed his firewall back 4 or 5 inches,blew the radio out of the dash,burned everything under the hood,blew the hood and front cap OFF!! When you looked at the motor you saw lifters and pushrods. The Pullin crew ran over there and filmed the car and me driving off to wash off all of the LS1 guts on my car. I think it was an 06 or 07 with leather interior. The owner said he still owed 3 years on it:dontknow: We are very thankful that Shellie was not standing at my drivers' door!!She had walked up to the fence to watch my pass.
Anyway on the day of qualifying my old heap ran a 10.328 @ 129 with a 1.42 60ft. off of the pro tree. I had an .079 light . Then on the arm drop pass it went a 10.322 @ 129 mph. The 32 car field they picked was around 10.20 to 10.30 with only .12 seperating all 32 cars so I just missed the cut. We had a great time and will try again in Memphis.

Last edited:
a blast...no pun intended....glad nobody was hurt (what about him, tho)...and what about your car? do you sign a waiver when you get there so you're out?

viperhauler said:
a blast...no pun intended....glad nobody was hurt (what about him, tho)...and what about your car? do you sign a waiver when you get there so you're out?

You could tell he was dazed and confused. His feelings and his pocketbook took the worst hit. You sign and initial 4 pages of releases. We were going to paint my car this year sometime anyway and basically when you are at a race you are on your own. Mine will buff out a lot easier than his:D So I did not even give it a second thought. I was thankful that #1 my wife was not standing there and #2 that I had put my helmet on, I still had a headache though!

Maybe he should have purged the NOS first :dontknow: Glad everybody is OK.

Glad you're okay! Sounds like you are fortunate to still have your hearing! But what a cool ass story you get to tell for the rest of your life. And you can bet they will show it on the PINKS episode!

Wow, that is scary. Glad you and your #1 wife made it through ok.

A vette at my track did a similar thing with his NOS. Filled the intake and went to start it and KABOOM......Giant fireball into the sky along with the hood, front fenders and misc engine parts. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

And not to forget: you got a fast hot rod there!!:rock: :D

patrick

Glad you are ok and Shellie had made it to the side line - I'm also glad the other guy made it out ok. Bummer about him owing 3 years, but at least he lived to tell about it ........ Our best to you and yours :rock:

Awesome ride and very nice pic in your other thread, too :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back