Plastic grill inserts that are on each side of radiator..can they stay or go?

If it's to "direct" air flow I think that was a crappy design, but no surprise coming from Dodge.....I feel like that radiator can get enough air as long as it is mounted anywhere in the front of the car with air hitting it....I pretty much concluded that these are "dress up" pieces to hide some things, that would otherwise be visable.....

EMT/SRT said:
I removed mine but didn't tell a difference on the temp gauge. Wish I would have left them to hide the A/C lines now that I have the honeycomb grille.

I would think some flat black spray paint would take care of the silver AC lines.

:dontknow:

I thought the one on the passenger side had a indenture that fed air toward the air intake...

supercar1of1 said:
They are there to direct more air through the radiator and AC condensor.

I dont think thats the reason. The same air will go through the rad regardless.I think they are there to keep debris out of the engine compartment and make the truck more aerodynamic (deflect air instead of catching it like a parachute. I plan on removing the pass side one to get more cooler air to the CAI. Was thinking of replacing it with a screen:D

Last edited:
I took the one off on the side of the intake box. I put in a drop in k&n and cut a hole in the front of the box and ran a tube to the front of the grill. All I can say is that when its cool outside, my truck feels like it pulls much harder than b4. could just be my imagination though.

quadster2005 said:
I took the one off on the side of the intake box. I put in a drop in k&n and cut a hole in the front of the box and ran a tube to the front of the grill. All I can say is that when its cool outside, my truck feels like it pulls much harder than b4. could just be my imagination though.
I took the passenger side out (which does have air duct indent on it) and was driving it tonight....you definitely notice a better response....i could see how it would act like a parachute but don't see it having any effect under 90-100 mph (which is way more than the speed limit);)

Ever since I installed the Volant Ram Air system, we have removed the passenger side panel and installed an air intake scoop behind the grill that feeds directly into the air box. I feel this gives me extra Ram Air and contributes to my good MPH in the 1/4 mile for a NA stock engine (113 + mph). My engine temp is always fine and there are no handling issues at either freeway speeds or top end 1/4 mile runs. Mine has been out for over four years with no issues.

supercar1of1 said:
They are there to direct more air through the radiator and AC condensor.

I agree with supercar. My opinion but if you take them out, air enters the grill area and hits the radiator and the area around it. Since the air encounters resistance from the radiator it may flow "around" the sides of the radiator, not through it. The plastic pieces keep air directing through the radiator, not around it. This was one reason my Procharged Z06 was overheating at Road Atlanta, the radiator and intercooler were not "encapsulated" and air just went around instead of through (the encapsulation pieces had to be removed to facilitate the intercooler piping and intercooler).

Not like it matters but I have an A-hole too so I also have an opinion. :D

spdrcrj said:
I agree with supercar. My opinion but if you take them out, air enters the grill area and hits the radiator and the area around it. Since the air encounters resistance from the radiator it may flow "around" the sides of the radiator, not through it. The plastic pieces keep air directing through the radiator, not around it. This was one reason my Procharged Z06 was overheating at Road Atlanta, the radiator and intercooler were not "encapsulated" and air just went around instead of through (the encapsulation pieces had to be removed to facilitate the intercooler piping and intercooler).

Not like it matters but I have an A-hole too so I also have an opinion. :D
makes sense, i just feel that with all the heat that gets trapped under our hood, it can only help with the flow of cool air....if you're moving at a decent speed the radiator should have no issues....stop and go maybe:dontknow:

maybe, I don't know, but I'm going to guess the Dodge R&D engineers are a little smarter than I am so I'll leave mine.

:dontknow: COULD be, it's to protect certain areas from being hit with incoming debris... For instance, a rock hitting your AC lines as opposed to NOT hitting them if that pesky shroud were in place. I contemplated leaving them off when I changed hoods, and even thought I would use flat black spray paint for the unsightly silver AC lines seen through the gril. But knowing how bugs, rocks, etc. could potentially enter into these areas while driving made me decide to leave them in tact. Plus I added a black mesh I got from Nelson (HotRam) to cover the radiator so I can keep the dings and dents tot the radiator elements down to a bare minimum. He said anyone could easily acquire a roll of mesh at your local area Home Depot.

What if you removed the shrouds/panels and painted them black? I know they're black already but eventually they look weathered and turn almost grey.

Did I..... Did I spell "grey" right?

Venom Power said:
:dontknow: COULD be, it's to protect certain areas from being hit with incoming debris... For instance, a rock hitting your AC lines as opposed to NOT hitting them if that pesky shroud were in place. I contemplated leaving them off when I changed hoods, and even thought I would use flat black spray paint for the unsightly silver AC lines seen through the gril. But knowing how bugs, rocks, etc. could potentially enter into these areas while driving made me decide to leave them in tact. Plus I added a black mesh I got from Nelson (HotRam) to cover the radiator so I can keep the dings and dents tot the radiator elements down to a bare minimum. He said anyone could easily acquire a roll of mesh at your local area Home Depot.

What if you removed the shrouds/panels and painted them black? I know they're black already but eventually they look weathered and turn almost grey.

Did I..... Did I spell "grey" right?

nycstev said:
I dont think thats the reason. The same air will go through the rad regardless.I think they are there to keep debris out of the engine compartment and make the truck more aerodynamic (deflect air instead of catching it like a parachute. I plan on removing the pass side one to get more cooler air to the CAI. Was thinking of replacing it with a screen:D

Protection from debris has got to be the main reason. I think they might deflect a little air, but they would be the shittiest air ducts in the history of man kind. Debris protection FTW. Removed mine a month ago :D

Mine have been gone for several years...just cleaner...the passenger side was designed to help direct some air flow to the bottom of the OEM air filter box. I believe the driver side was just a balancing and deflector of debris precaution.

My most significant improvement in under hood temperature has been achieved by coating my headers (Jet Hot). Recommend you add headers that have been coated.

Others may chime in.

Prof said:
Mine have been gone for several years...just cleaner...the passenger side was designed to help direct some air flow to the bottom of the OEM air filter box. I believe the driver side was just a balancing and deflector of debris precaution.

My most significant improvement in under hood temperature has been achieved by coating my headers (Jet Hot). Recommend you add headers that have been coated.
Others may chime in.

Indeed. :alberteinstein:Heat generated in the engine bay rises tremendously when headers are factored into the equation. This kept me from having a set installed years ago. Now that there's an option for JetHot coating (Bassanis are already coated) JetHot is a definite must when thinking about headers that aren't already coated. :dontknow: Are Bellanger LTs coated from the factory?

If you havnt already change out your t stat to a 170` and get the DC stage two flash. This will turn your fan on earlier and your temps will never get above 180`. Hot ass Maui summer and my truck has never gone over 180`.

patrick

Took mine off on the CAI side and no problems so far. I may take the other side off to improve the look, then change out to the black honeycomb grill.

mauiSRT/10 said:
If you havnt already change out your t stat to a 170` and get the DC stage two flash. This will turn your fan on earlier and your temps will never get above 180`. Hot ass Maui summer and my truck has never gone over 180`.

patrick

Having lived on Oahu I can say with certainty that the Hawaiian Islands do not get hot....;) On the other hand you are correct...reprogram to turn the fans on earlier is the right way to help shed heat.

Took mine off both sides. There are radiator supports on both sides with a 3inx3in peice of metal. Sorry for lack of better description. But i got the "VIPER" logo to go there and it shines through the grill.
You can see it a little in this picture. Looks alot better and more obvious in person.

11082008%20197.jpg

I like the look of the peices off myself. I see it as more cool air for my CAI. No change in high speed stability, or cooling.

I think they are there for purely aerodynamic reasons.

As they probably do not "duct" air to the radiator...they probably keep a lot of the air from going around it.

When they are removed, the air that enters there gets extremely "dirty"...and has to change direction many times to escape. This causes drag, and a bit more instability.

With our trucks being a aerodynamic brick anyway...sorta' makes you wonder what's the use...but hell...we probably get another .009 miles per gallon because of them.

Lee

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back