PLEASE GIVE FEED BACK ON WEIRD TICKING ENGINE NOISE!!!

Ventura SRT-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guy's I need your help!! My trucks radiator pipe came off because the clamp was loose causing all my coolant to leak out as I was driving. My engine temperature and oil temperature started to red-line to the max for about 5 minutes till I could pull off the road. Before I could pull off the road my engine started making a fast ticking noise (sounded like a loud sewing machine).
It is a steady ticking as it idle's and the engine ticking speed rapidly increased as I reved the engine.I had my mechanic friend who is NOT familiar with the viper motor listen to it and he said by the sound it was making it sounded like a colapsed lifter. Keep in mind he did NOT take off the valve cover's or anything, he just based that opinion by the sound of the engine. So I need help/feed-back from you guy's if you have had this issue or have a idea of what it could be?:confused:

Lifter,rocker,pushrod...pull valve covers and sparkplugs!!!...report back!!

Ticks are normally valvetrain related....a knock is usually bottom end/rotating assembly...

Last edited:
Hoping you didn't blow head gasket :(
Sounds like it could have collapsed a lifter due to aeration and how thin the oil gets from being cooked at 300*+ temps. Not sure the situation and if it was an emergency, but never drive your vehicle if temp pegs out or even starts climbing :( aluminum really hates that.
I so agree to pull valve covers and have a look see. Pull plugs and read them, look for signs of moisture. Change oil and look for water in oil. It'll look like a chocolate milkshake but don't drink it!!
Hope it's simply a lifter that'll pump up with new oil and a few minutes of priming back up.
Good luck bud

Sounds like it could have collapsed a lifter due to aeration and how thin the oil gets from being cooked at 300*+ temps. Not sure the situation and if it was an emergency, but never drive your vehicle if temp pegs out or even starts climbing :( aluminum really hates that.
I so agree to pull valve covers and have a look see. Pull plugs and read them, look for signs of moisture. Change oil and look for water in oil. It'll look like a chocolate milkshake but don't drink it!!
Hope it's simply a lifter that'll pump up with new oil and a few minutes of priming back up.
Good luck bud

Absolutely! Could definitely be a collapsed lifter...if indeed it got that hot. Easy fix if that is the case. Hopefully it is nothing serious. Sorry to hear about your issue though.:(

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybq3CjUJ9eo&feature=player_detailpage"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybq3CjUJ9eo&feature=player_detailpage[/ame] Hopefully this helps.... Please give feed back!

Good luck bud

I changed the oil and let it run for about 10 mins. with the same ticking result. What do you mean by priming back up? (leting it run/idle?)

Lifter,rocker,pushrod...pull valve covers and sparkplugs!!!...report back!!

Ticks are normally valvetrain related....a knock is usually bottom end/rotating assembly...

I found a thread with a video that had a similar ticking and alot of people thought it was a header gasket, please let me know what you think?

Take the valve overs off and check the valve train. Look for broken springs and/or bent pushrods. You can't drive it like that so might as well start to tear into her

Take the valve overs off and check the valve train. Look for broken springs and/or bent pushrods. You can't drive it like that so might as well start to tear into her

Yeah, I work at a Dodge dealer but the mechanic at my work hasnt really worked on the viper motor before so he wanted me to come on here and get feed back on what you guys think it could be before working on it. Thanks for the advice.

These engines are not that much out of the ordinary. Just a bunch of nuts and bolts! Start with valve covers. check for broken springs,if springs are good remove the rockers and check for bend rods, if they are good, then the intake manifold will have to be removed to check the lifters for position . they might have come free of their locator and are wearing the cam lobe.
These suggestions are only a few of what the sound may be from. So take it one step at a time and look for something out of normal. It can be fun!!! If you are paying someone,this could be very expensive!!

These engines are not that much out of the ordinary. Just a bunch of nuts and bolts! Start with valve covers. check for broken springs,if springs are good remove the rockers and check for bend rods, if they are good, then the intake manifold will have to be removed to check the lifters for position . they might have come free of their locator and are wearing the cam lobe.
These suggestions are only a few of what the sound may be from. So take it one step at a time and look for something out of normal. It can be fun!!! If you are paying someone,this could be very expensive!!

Thanks man, hopefully its just a header gasket and isnt anything to expensive!

I was under the impression this was the normal ticking sound...
Now I'm worried about mine!

Nevermind...mine isn't nearly as loud as that!

Last edited:
If the tech at the dealership is wanting us to diagnose it because he is unsure............then you need to find a new tech. Sorry to be blunt, but he is not confident and wouldn't be allowed to set a finger on my truck.

Mine sounded like that when there was pieces of pistons broken off and smashing around inside the cylinders.

My suggestion is start with the valve covers, check for messed up valve train, then keep going deeper, pull the intake, then pull the heads and check the cylinders and pistons.

It will not be a header gasket, exhaust leaks don't sound like this, get yourself prepared for it to be something ugly. Engines DO NOT like to be overheated.

Last edited:
If the tech at the dealership is wanting us to diagnose it because he is unsure............then you need to find a new tech. Sorry to be blunt, but he is not confident and wouldn't be allowed to set a finger on my truck.

Mine sounded like that when there was pieces of pistons broken off and smashing around inside the cylinders.

My suggestion is start with the valve covers, check for messed up valve train, then keep going deeper, pull the intake, then pull the heads and check the cylinders and pistons.

It will not be a header gasket, exhaust leaks don't sound like this, get yourself prepared for it to be something ugly. Engines DO NOT like to be overheated.

How much was your issue to fix and what did it intail?:confused:

Cost a fortune, but that was because I decided to go that route. I think I have about $15,000 or so in the basic engine, then the power added on top of that.

It all depends on what all is hurt and how far you want to take the rebuild. I could have easily just put in a new piston and had the cylinder head repaired, but instead I went all out.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back