please help ... input needed

solsir4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i took my 05 qc in for a oil change and tire rotation and brake inspection yesterday . I go to pick it up today and they tell me that i need all new rotors . The guy said that the rotors were down to to less than 39 mm and they had to be replaced because just replacing the pads would not be sufficient . I asked if they could be resurfaced rather than replaced and he said that they didnt need to be resurfaced because they were under the 39 mm that wouldnt help . Is this total B.S. ? Can i just replace the pads and everything will be fine . I have never heard of having to replace all the rotors on a truck that has 27k miles on it . Maybe if i warped the rotors but i didnt i just wore the pads down to 1/32 . I dont want to pay the $1000 to replace these things i just want to replace the pads .Please guys , tell me this shmoe at the dealership is trying to hose me rather than help me . Also which pad should i buy so that my truck doesnt sound like a freight train stopping at every intersection . -----------------------------------------Andy

put the pads on and go with it.. if you notice something strage or performance wise acting up then think about it

solsir4 said:
So i took my 05 qc in for a oil change and tire rotation and brake inspection yesterday . I go to pick it up today and they tell me that i need all new rotors . The guy said that the rotors were down to to less than 39 mm and they had to be replaced because just replacing the pads would not be sufficient . I asked if they could be resurfaced rather than replaced and he said that they didnt need to be resurfaced because they were under the 39 mm that wouldnt help . Is this total B.S. ? Can i just replace the pads and everything will be fine . I have never heard of having to replace all the rotors on a truck that has 27k miles on it . Maybe if i warped the rotors but i didnt i just wore the pads down to 1/32 . I dont want to pay the $1000 to replace these things i just want to replace the pads .Please guys , tell me this shmoe at the dealership is trying to hose me rather than help me . Also which pad should i buy so that my truck doesnt sound like a freight train stopping at every intersection . -----------------------------------------Andy
I have just been through a similar thing. Have Ford E 250 w/ 39000 miles
began having brake problems. They said cannot cut rotors need new ones
total cost was 1400. Apparently ( they said) the rotors made today cannot be resurfaced like they used to. They're made with less material so as to save wieght along with alot of other parts in the car. It seemed like alot of BS to me.. but I just paid to have it done and wrote off the expense...

Can't shave the rotors on a E250???? :dontknow: :rolleyes:

You got hosed, Homie. :(

"solsir4"- Take it to a independent shop and let them look at it...... You shouldn't have to REPLACE rotors at 27k miles..... :mad:

I sitting on 28K miles and I plan on having my rotors turned in the next 3-5K miles.

i had mine resurfaced at 21,000 and i have 40,000 now and they are just fine. dont worry about it. put the pads on and go with it. you'll be fine

I had a similar problem back in 95/96, I had a Twin Turbo Dodge Stealth, and I was burning through rotars every 4-6k miles... dealer kept telling me "Its a sports car...its supposed to be that way..." so for spite I called Ferrari of North America... and they told me that was hogwash... that yeah.. rotors wear faster on sport vehicles.. but not at that rate.. they said even theirs averaged roughly 30k.

So I exposed the dealer.. demanded that it be inspected by a independent, and was found that the brakes were never fully releasing... I was reimbursed for the 3 sets that paid for... and they completely replaced the brake system with a new one.. and the problems went away...

I've only got 13k on mine, and the pads are down to the brads and the rotors are tore up. I'm taking it in tomorrow to have the rotors turned and I'll put the EBC pads on. Rotors should still be plenty thick. That worries me though.

I would get a second opinnion. If that is in line with the dealer, I would replace the rotors. It is a safety thing at that point.

I installed ceramics on mine at 12k miles. I had it up on the lift yesterday and the rotors are starting to groove I have about 18k on it now. The factory pads made alot of dust but I think they do way less damage to the rotors than the ceramic ones do !

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back