Possible Detonation issue

SCSRT10

Reaction score
Hey guys...I have been lurking on this site for a long time...very cool site and very informative...would love to hear from anyone who can help me out.

I have a SC (Paxton Novi 2000) QC SRT10 and Im having an issue with spark plugs. As the photo shows the plug has no gap and this happened to two of them #1 and #4 the first time around. Had them all replaced to NGKZFR6F-11 as the Paxton site recommends and the same thing happened. This time to 3 different plugs. I did not keep the originals that were in their before the first change over to the NGKZFR6F-11 plugs...and do not remember what they were. I am running octane 91 all the time. Having the piston heads inspected today (scoped) and will hopefully not have any damage to them. The engine used to run great but one cold morning (Victoria British Columbia) 3 months ago a very loud knock was heard from the drivers side...with loss of power and very distinct shudder or hesitation at 40mph...idle of course was rough too. Changed the plugs...worked great...then happened again 2 months later to present. Should I run a colder plug...stop using octane 91 and use 93...Might be a supercharger issue...or if its detonation causing this could I be running too lean? Having a few of those issues checked out today but Im very new to this and would appreciate anything you can add. I know the plugs were not damaged going into the engine during the install...Dealer is doing the work...yea yea I know lol...dont shit on me for bringing it to them...the tech working on it is a pretty cool guy. The engine has not been taken apart by the Viper tech they have yet...if I have to go that route it will be much more costly...trying to avoid that for now...but I know it may be the only way to effectively troubleshoot this thing. Anything you can add would be great...thanks.

Attachments

• NGKZFR6F-11.jpg
    NGKZFR6F-11.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 83
Did the Knock you described occur during WOT? I think the combustion chamber is getting to hot! Either add more fuel or meth injection!

I would deffinitly run 93 octane, that's all you will ever catch me putting in mine unless it's just not available.

I would deffinitly run 93 octane, that's all you will ever catch me putting in mine unless it's just not available.

On the west coast, 91 is premium... no 93. I ran it in my SC 10 without problems for a long time.

Are you running stock internals? Has it been dyno tuned? Do you have an a/f gauge?

You need to not drive the truck, until you figure out the issue. Detonation is not going to close a plug like that, much less two or three. As for running lean, why are you running a supercharged truck without an A/F gauge? Scoping is a good start

I bought the truck used through a a dealer...I do not know if the internals are all stock...no A/F gauge was installed either...as far as having her wide open for any length of time I had it wide open for very short periods just before and after the first plug change with no issues. The first sign of any problems began during a cold night with mild acceleration...did a plug change then it happened again with similar conditions. This truck has not seen the dyno since I have had it...dont know about the previous owner. Might just bite the bullet and have the internals looked at...

On the west coast, 91 is premium... no 93. I ran it in my SC 10 without problems for a long time.

Are you running stock internals? Has it been dyno tuned? Do you have an a/f gauge?

Yea as far as I know the internals are still stock. No dyno tune and no a/f gauge yet, soon I hope.

Yea as far as I know the internals are still stock. No dyno tune and no a/f gauge yet, soon I hope.

You gotta be real careful on a stock bottom end... it's garbage. I'd get it to a Viper shop ASAP!

Edit: oops, I thought you were the guy with the blower.

how much boost ya runnin????

Scope is a wise idea as well as a leak-down.

You may be experiencing an "in boost" fuel system failure. You need to inspect all Paxton fuel system components to ensure they are properly functioning. It could be as simple as loosing the signal vac/pressure line or fuel pump/FMU issues.

With closed Spark plug gaps I surmise you will not like your mechanics diagnosis. A broken piston ring land could pass among other cylinders until it finds it's way out or in-beds itself.

Good Luck!

not remembering what plugs "were" installed is a "bad thing" sounds like you need colder plugs!! find the old plugs or find the last owner! he probably had the same issues then found a plug that worked! anything colder will be an improvement! just buy lots of them they will foul often if you drive like a granny! you will need to change them often.

From my knowledge when it is colder out it tends to lean the vehicle/truck a little more and thats where you get the extra h/p feel. Be careful, you might want to tune it down a little in the winter. If you dont have a sct get one and get it through torrie. let him know your issues and it should help, if there is not already damage of course. Cold as shit up there...................

not remembering what plugs "were" installed is a "bad thing" sounds like you need colder plugs!! find the old plugs or find the last owner! he probably had the same issues then found a plug that worked! anything colder will be an improvement! just buy lots of them they will foul often if you drive like a granny! you will need to change them often.

Yea I should have taken more care to remember what plugs were in it to start off with...really didnt think I would run into an issue like this. As long I knew what plugs I put in was good enough...I thought. In any case the scope showed no damage at all...the SC is a stock setup with 7-8 lbs of boost...and as far as I know all internals are stock too. Have no idea who the PO was...might contact the dealer to find out but I doubt they will release that kind of info to me. A a/f guage and boost gauge is what I should have too but funds are not there right now for that...hopefully in the next 6 months I will have them! Im taking the NGK ZFR6-11 plugs out and was going to throw the ZFR5N plugs in but decided to go with the Champion RC10ECC. Im also going to use at least 93 octane instead of the 91 we have here. Wish we had a Viper shop here...just Dodge Mechs and a floating Viper Tech that charges an arm and a leg...who actually recommended to the head of our Dealers service dept to use Champion Truck plug part no. 4412 in his viper(car). They wanted me to try them first before the RC10ECC`s but I declined...his viper runs great on them and has had no issues. In any case thanks for all the replies...great feedback...very appreciated!

Well looks like the RC10ECC`s are now discontinued are were replaced by the RC12ECC`s...so I went with the NGK ZFR5N plug...gapped at .035...really hope this helps solve the problem...:banghead:

Pull the plugs once In awhile to check them. When you find a set that work buy lots!!!

The NGK plugs that was in it had a short tip...the extended tips on my new NGK plugs are similar to the extended ones on the stock Champions...Gap was .44 on them too...Gap on my new extended plugs are now .35. The viper tech and mech that I was dealing with found no contact damage when they scoped each cylinder so they ruled out plug contact. Strange issue Im dealing with...at first it was 2 plugs that were damaged...then there were three about 200 miles later...now I put the extended tip plug in and its almost 200 miles later...so Im crossing my fingers lol...actually not really laughing...love this truck but its pissing me off!!!

I went with the NGK ZFR5N plugs and so far no problems...I just came back from Oregon Raceway Park where we take our bikes for trackdays and was too chicken to test out the truck on that trip...only about 7 hours from where I live. Going to Kent, WA to Pacific Raceways for more bike trackdays and would love to take the truck with the bikes in the back...but if I run into problems again it would definitely screw our trip up. Is there any good shops in and around Kent/Seattle that anyone would recommend if I had the same issue come up?

Ok if you use demon coils , you gap is going to be 0.65 . check what coils you have in maybe thats your problem . meybe someone befor you put different coils in .

Back