POWDERCOATING BUBBLES

SANCHOBA

TEXAS A&M DAD
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had my valve covers coated locally and am now noticing many small bubbles appearing along the covers near the exhaust manifolds (they are jet-hot coated and i didn't put the heat-shields back on) ive' been in touch with justin and he says its heat related (outgassing he called it ) magnesium covers heating up and giving off gasses, which get trapped between the metal the coating. i'm wondering if its just a case of poor prep work by the coater. any one else have this problem? the covers are only getting up to about 200* near the manifolds:dontknow: should i put the heat shields back on (will they even help?) they are rusty-fugly.... can i powdercoat them without having the same problems? THIA

SANCHOBA said:
i had my valve covers coated locally and am now noticing many small bubbles appearing along the covers near the exhaust manifolds (they are jet-hot coated and i didn't put the heat-shields back on) ive' been in touch with justin and he says its heat related (outgassing he called it ) magnesium covers heating up and giving off gasses, which get trapped between the metal the coating. i'm wondering if its just a case of poor prep work by the coater. any one else have this problem? the covers are only getting up to about 200* near the manifolds:dontknow: should i put the heat shields back on (will they even help?) they are rusty-fugly.... can i powdercoat them without having the same problems? THIA
poor prep by the coater bo, take them back to him and ask him to re do the coating
if he is reputalble he should stand by his work

My two cents. I do Justin's coating and I can tell you that the Viper covers are the most difficult items I've coated. They are magnesium and will outgas during the heat/curing process. When the gas is released from under the coating - blisters in the finish. The worst areas are in the bolt hole indentions. If what you are seeing is tiny blisters, it's unlikely related to manifold heat or poor prep. There are ways to help eliminate most of the blistering and if yours are on the top where it's most visible, your coater needs to do better. That's what you had them coated for was a better visual effect. Just understand that cast materials provide a challenge and cast magnesium is probably the toughest.

Pops@JMB said:
My two cents. I do Justin's coating and I can tell you that the Viper covers are the most difficult items I've coated. They are magnesium and will outgas during the heat/curing process. When the gas is released from under the coating - blisters in the finish. The worst areas are in the bolt hole indentions. If what you are seeing is tiny blisters, it's unlikely related to manifold heat or poor prep. There are ways to help eliminate most of the blistering and if yours are on the top where it's most visible, your coater needs to do better. That's what you had them coated for was a better visual effect. Just understand that cast materials provide a challenge and cast magnesium is probably the toughest.
hi marty and welcome:D :D

If you find that you are having problems you can send them to Hardkore Metal Finishing in San Diego, Ca and they have a product better then powdercoating and will hold up better and work better for your valve covers and they can do any color possible and also polish if you need parts of them polished afterwards. FSTJACK has had a couple parts polished by then and window frames for his Chevelle and seemed to be pretty happy with them!

Pops@JMB said:
yep, the worst areas are around the bolt hole areas (tiny blisters). the covers were perfect when i installed them.

If what you are seeing is tiny blisters, it's unlikely related to manifold heat or poor prep.

so whats it related to?:dontknow:

When you prep for powdercoating it is similar to painting and needs to be sandblasted and baked good first to get all of the gasses out and to open the pores to accept the powder. Bad part is with powder if you have to fix it you have tostart the entire process all over with the product that HARDKORE has you dont it can be fixed without haveing to start all over wich makes it much better for bigger itens like suspension, drivetrain parts etc

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back