Power steering issues.

aussie damo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G'day everyone.
Yesterday i started my 10 and noticed the power steering was really heavy at low/ parking speeds. There was fluid in it and I don't have any leaks.
The ps pump was rebuilt 6 months ago. When I opened the ressivior to check fluid it was or seemed to be slightly under pressure with a hiss when I opened the lid.
Any ideas would be awesome. It was a warm day around 30 deg celcius.
There are pretty much zero ppl here in Australia that specialize in these so the more info I have the better chance of sorting it out.
It seemed ok today but I hardly drove it.
Btw 2005 qc.
Thanks in advance.
Damo.

Last edited:
Sounds pretty normal but pump could be headed out again I guess. 122k miles on my stock one but maybe I'm lucky. You will have that bit of pressure on system when you remove cap.

Pump and steering rack is nothing special on our trucks...any competent mechanic can diagnosis/repair. Don't know about your area but parts are cheap here. My pump went out while in warranty. Dodge replaced pump and rack under warranty. 120k miles since and working fine....

G'day everyone.
Yesterday i started my 10 and noticed the power steering was really heavy at low/ parking speeds. There was fluid in it and I don't have any leaks.
The ps pump was rebuilt 6 months ago. When I opened the ressivior to check fluid it was or seemed to be slightly under pressure with a hiss when I opened the lid.
Any ideas would be awesome. It was a warm day around 30 deg celcius.
There are pretty much zero ppl here in Australia that specialize in these so the more info I have the better chance of sorting it out.
It seemed ok today but I hardly drove it.
Btw 2005 qc.
Thanks in advance.
Damo.

as cheap as the pumps are, really shouldn't rebuild, but understand your situation,
most likely since the rebuild you have debris in the pump valve, remove the upper line on the pump, remove the valve underneath the fitting from the pump, using a magnet pull out the plunger and springs, clean all parts thourougly and you probably will be fine, usually hard steering then light is evidence there is debris in the pump pressure valve

99/100 says that no one properly cleaned out the old PS system, and it took your new pump out again as a result, likely with collateral damage to your fan and/or rack. Nobody ever does things properly these days. Anyone. EVER.

99/100 says that no one properly cleaned out the old PS system, and it took your new pump out again as a result, likely with collateral damage to your fan and/or rack. Nobody ever does things properly these days. Anyone. EVER.

That's not necessarily true. I remember one time something was done right.....

Thus when my pump went out it took a bit of effort on my part to explain to the service writer at the dealership why the rest of the system needed to be replaced as well. :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back