Power steering leaking after sitting 16 months

Mighty1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the truck running after sitting 16 months. Been idling it a bunch sitting in the driveway working out other problems without any PS leak. Took it for a short drive down the block and PS fluid everywhere. I don't think it is coming from the lines. What would normally go bad on these pumps after sitting so long?

I tell ya, this truck is really getting on my nerves. I have never had something fight me so hard every single step of the way to get running right.

Got the truck running after sitting 16 months. Been idling it a bunch sitting in the driveway working out other problems without any PS leak. Took it for a short drive down the block and PS fluid everywhere. I don't think it is coming from the lines. What would normally go bad on these pumps after sitting so long?

I tell ya, this truck is really getting on my nerves. I have never had something fight me so hard every single step of the way to get running right.

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f18/my-tuck-biggest-mistake-my-life-3062/

Last edited:
Here's the original post:
"I know alot of you guys on here love your tucks more than anything but someone has to feel the way I do. This has to be the absolute worst vehicle in history. First off, It has lost over $15,000 in value from what I paid for it not even a year ago. I have spent $240 in oil changes..... and thats only 2 oil changes!!. This thing rides like ****, even worse since I boomered it. It gets 8 mpg when I drive like a grandma, 5 if I drive like a normal 21 year old. Its really not that fast, especially compared to my old ZO6 or especially my twin turbo supra. Cant tow anything, cant haul anything heavy. Absolutely no driving in the snow, hell it practicly gets stuck in the rain! About the only cool thing I have done with it is haul my 62" tv home from best buy.. and I had to take the fricken wing off to do that! I have learned from my mistakes and not to be so compulsive when it comes to buying ****, especially pointless non practical vehicles that sound cool because they have a "viper" engine...
-Future Non-Owner of an SRT-10"

This is the funniest thing I have read in awhile lol.:rock::rock:

"I know alot of you guys on here love your tucks more than anything but someone has to feel the way I do. This has to be the absolute worst vehicle in history. First off, It has lost over $15,000 in value from what I paid for it not even a year ago. I have spent $240 in oil changes..... and thats only 2 oil changes!!. This thing rides like ****, even worse since I boomered it. It gets 8 mpg when I drive like a grandma, 5 if I drive like a normal 21 year old. Its really not that fast, especially compared to my old ZO6 or especially my twin turbo supra. Cant tow anything, cant haul anything heavy. Absolutely no driving in the snow, hell it practicly gets stuck in the rain! About the only cool thing I have done with it is haul my 62" tv home from best buy.. and I had to take the fricken wing off to do that! I have learned from my mistakes and not to be so compulsive when it comes to buying ****, especially pointless non practical vehicles that sound cool because they have a "viper" engine...

& your point is:D

My point was that I thought that post I was referred to was pretty funny as that guy was so annoyed about his truck and there was nothing wrong with it. If he had my truck he would probably be swinging from a rope by now.:D

Rides like shit? Not that fast? Can't haul nything heavy? WTF? I've hauled like 20 bags of quickcrete, not that fast? I'll take ur z06 on a roll (might not win but you won't walk away) rides like shit? Never driven a car set up to Handel and not cruise then huh? It's supposed to be stiff! You try building a truck that can out Handel most "sports cars" out run most "muscle cars" and STILL HAUL MORE THEN ASS! Go buy a new Cadillac, sure might be faster but it costs more to and nobody will look at you when you cruise....l:aetsch: and I didn't buy to make money so :elefant: and what did you think a 5000lb+ truck with 500hp and over 500CI would get good mileage? Now that's funny!

Just to be clear, I am not the one who posted that whole rant. I just thought it was funny. I said my truck is on my last nerve as it is fighting me every step of the way back to being driven.

So to get back on topic...I checked the pump up close and the lines don't appear to be leaking so is there some type of seal or o-ring that goes bad between the tank and the pump? I would just go get another pump but it looks like you have to press off the pulley, press it back on a new pump, pull the tank and put that on the new pump as well. Don't want to get into all that if I don't have to.

Just to be clear, I am not the one who posted that whole rant. I just thought it was funny. I said my truck is on my last nerve as it is fighting me every step of the way back to being driven.

So to get back on topic...I checked the pump up close and the lines don't appear to be leaking so is there some type of seal or o-ring that goes bad between the tank and the pump? I would just go get another pump but it looks like you have to press off the pulley, press it back on a new pump, pull the tank and put that on the new pump as well. Don't want to get into all that if I don't have to.

Ok sorry I just took ofence to that statement, did not know you did not post it, as for the leak if it is the pump it's more then likely the front seal wich would require the front pulley to be removed anyway, try running the engine and have somebody turn the wheel and watch for a leak their is a seal between the tank and pump but they rarely go bad....

Rides like shit? Not that fast? Can't haul nything heavy? WTF? I've hauled like 20 bags of quickcrete, not that fast? I'll take ur z06 on a roll (might not win but you won't walk away) rides like shit? Never driven a car set up to Handel and not cruise then huh? It's supposed to be stiff! You try building a truck that can out Handel most "sports cars" out run most "muscle cars" and STILL HAUL MORE THEN ASS! Go buy a new Cadillac, sure might be faster but it costs more to and nobody will look at you when you cruise....l:aetsch: and I didn't buy to make money so :elefant: and what did you think a 5000lb+ truck with 500hp and over 500CI would get good mileage? Now that's funny!

I stirred the pot again huh?:elefant::elefant::aetsch:

Could have also been an air bubble in the pressure line, also if you turn the wheel while the engine is off fluid will overflow the reservoir.

Ok sorry I just took ofence to that statement, did not know you did not post it, as for the leak if it is the pump it's more then likely the front seal wich would require the front pulley to be removed anyway, try running the engine and have somebody turn the wheel and watch for a leak their is a seal between the tank and pump but they rarely go bad....

Is that front seal replaceable/buyable or have to replace the whole pump? I bet getting the pulley lined back up is not fun. Gonna check it tomorrow in the daylight.

Thanks for the info!!

sitting without fluid the seal got a touch dry possbily, but be carefull too on how tight the belt is, it will cause problems and also make sure the pulley isnt cracked

but get a new pump and get one from dodge, we tried the aftermarket route and we keep h aving to replace those, we get one from dodge and its fixed, but your choice,

sitting without fluid the seal got a touch dry possbily, but be carefull too on how tight the belt is, it will cause problems and also make sure the pulley isnt cracked

but get a new pump and get one from dodge, we tried the aftermarket route and we keep h aving to replace those, we get one from dodge and its fixed, but your choice,

Do they come with the pulley already installed? I don't have access to a press and my old pulley is kinda rusty anyway.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back