Power Steering Pump going bad?

earl lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had what I thought was the typical leaking power steering lines, ordered some from Tony and decided to take it to my shop to have them put it on along with the oil lines I ordered. (looked like to much of a pita, and i dont have the time to deal wrenching as I did a few years ago)

Anyhow, my shop states they feel the leak is coming from the power steering pump. When I was under the truck I can see the ATF on the bottom of the power steering pump. I knew it was leaking but just figured it was the line at the top since that is covered in crud.

My question is, do these pumps go bad? Just some background, I have not had any problems with my steering, it turns just fine rather slow turns or backing up. I just wanted to have the lines replaced.

Should I tell him to just replace the lines and not worry about the pump or does the steering pump goes bad? If I have to get a new pump I'll get one its not a big deal, just found it odd that my pump would be bad when ive had no steering issues.

Ok, for the time being I had him just replace the lines. He did a good job, routed them nicely and secured them with zip ties out the way of anything that can damage them.

I'll get under it tomorrow to see if that pump is still leaking if so, ill pick up one from the stealership. Truck has 72k miles on it.

FLUSH, FLUSH, FLUSH.

Unless you want to be replacing everything in the system, make sure you flush the hell out of it, and replace that pump ASAP! Pump contamination will ruin both the Fan Motor and the power steering rack.

FLUSH, FLUSH, FLUSH.

Unless you want to be replacing everything in the system, make sure you flush the hell out of it, and replace that pump ASAP! Pump contamination will ruin both the Fan Motor and the power steering rack.

Not to mention when all the fluid is emptied out of the system the truck will overheat.

I had a pump go while under warranty. Service writer would not replace the steering rack as I insisted. Finally got the "viper" mechanic involved and he agreed that the steering rack should always be replaced when a pump goes....Service Writer wrote up the ticket to replace both.

I had a pump go while under warranty. Service writer would not replace the steering rack as I insisted. Finally got the "viper" mechanic involved and he agreed that the steering rack should always be replaced when a pump goes....Service Writer wrote up the ticket to replace both.

What were the signs of your pump going bad? I dont want to think about how much a new rack would cost.......

Im not having any steering issues, I honestly believe it was just the lines that were leaking. They did flush the system after changing them.

What were the signs of your pump going bad? I dont want to think about how much a new rack would cost.......

Im not having any steering issues, I honestly believe it was just the lines that were leaking. They did flush the system after changing them.

Bearing... Rack is not expensive and very easy to R&R.

Hello,
Today I was driving at highway going wot, and suddenly all the fluid from my steering system drained. I am not sure yet if it was a hose or the pump. I pulled up 1 km later than I noticed, and my engine went to 100% temperature. No engine damage occured. But does anyone knows why does it overheats? what does steering fluid has to do with engine temp? I ready that people got Tony's hoses. Who is Tony and where can I get them? thanks.

Hello,
Today I was driving at highway going wot, and suddenly all the fluid from my steering system drained. I am not sure yet if it was a hose or the pump. I pulled up 1 km later than I noticed, and my engine went to 100% temperature. No engine damage occured. But does anyone knows why does it overheats? what does steering fluid has to do with engine temp? I ready that people got Tony's hoses. Who is Tony and where can I get them? thanks.

I can get you the lines you need bud and I'm
Just up the road in Texas. Engine damage could have occurred but won't know with a compression check/leakdown check. Otherwise replace line, add fluid, get air bubbles out and see how she does.
You can email me at [email protected]

Engine overheats because the engine cooling fan is powered by hydraulic fluid from the power steering system

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back