Problem with hitting 2 gear.

Passelat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I bought the truck I have problem with hitting second gear both ways, from 1-2 and 3-2.
Is there something on the shift transfer that I could adjust?
I almost missing second gear every time I drive:mad:

more side pressure when makin either shift???

Do you have the stock Hurst shifter? If so it has a pretty shaky history. Many have gone to after market units...

As I recall, there were some solutions to the Hurst problem. Try this: loosen the four mounting bolts, move the unit around a little, then shift through the pattern several times. Be sure you find a shifter unit position that seems to permit smooth moves through the second gear gate...then with the shifter in second gear, re-tighten the mounting bolts.

See if that works...

Change out the clutch hydraulics!! The clutch is not disengaging enough to allow the gear change!

Prof said:
Do you have the stock Hurst shifter? If so it has a pretty shaky history. Many have gone to after market units...

As I recall, there were some solutions to the Hurst problem. Try this: loosen the four mounting bolts, move the unit around a little, then shift through the pattern several times. Be sure you find a shifter unit position that seems to permit smooth moves through the second gear gate...then with the shifter in second gear, re-tighten the mounting bolts.

See if that works...
Yes, I have stock Hurst. I am thinking off trying B&M shifter, looks like many people like this one.

Will first try this with lossen up and re-thight the Hurst shifter before I do anything more.
Hucksrt10 said:
Change out the clutch hydraulics!! The clutch is not disengaging enough to allow the gear change!
I think if it is the clutch hydraulics, I would not just have problem with second but also some other gears.
It is just second gear I have problem with, all others are fine.

You will want to change the shifter and go to the Viper Maser and Slave at some point.

Most all of us do sooner or later.

But if adjusting the angle of the gate to the shifter helps for a while it might be a short term solution.

Keep us posted...we are here to help.

There is a urethane isolater bolted between the shifter, and the shifter handle. Remove the shifter boot and you will see it. Take it right out, go to the hardware store and buy some nuts, bolts, and washers to bolt the shifter and handle back together. You will notice a difference.

Bill.

Im pretty sure its none of the above!

I say syncros! I had the same issue with mine and after spending alot of time adjusting, bleeding the lines, replacing hydraulics and clutch the problem was still there.

Good luck!

SRT-IZ said:
Im pretty sure its none of the above!

I say syncros! I had the same issue with mine and after spending alot of time adjusting, bleeding the lines, replacing hydraulics and clutch the problem was still there.

Good luck!
I am also afraid off that it is the syncros. How much work will it be to put in some new one?
To take out the transmission is a pretty fast job, but how is it to split the transmission?

You most likely have a transmission issue for sure. When I had slave problems, the worst gear was reverse. Forward gears were only difficult at high rpms.

I did try what you recommended Prof. It helped, but not as much that I hoped for.
Did also changed to Mobil 1 ATF on transmission, and that also helped.
Now I am almost there:)
Later at some point I will try B&M shifter and Viper hydraulics.

Passelat said:
I did try what you recommended Prof. It helped, but not as much that I hoped for.

:rock: :rock: :rock:

Passelat said:

I usually opt for the easy fix first, then if that doesn't work I call Stingray, and see if he is free the next weekend...glad it helped.

By the way I have always had a little problem (tiny) with a slight grind into second if I go too fast...in normal driving or speed shifting it works without the slight grind...strange. That might well be a syncro or possibly a bent shifting lever.

Prof said:
By the way I have always had a little problem (tiny) with a slight grind into second if I go too fast...in normal driving or speed shifting it works without the slight grind...strange. That might well be a syncro or possibly a bent shifting lever.

Funny you mention that Prof, i've had that problem as well.. I thought
about sending in my tranny to get the fork pads and syncros upgraded
but that's gonna have to wait for now.. Do you think others have this
problem as well?

Andrew

I think so...it isn't a huge thing...and considering what we do to the forks from time to time it is no wonder!

doing the scynros and the fork pads aren't to hard since i just pulled my trans apart. although the only problem i had was getting the 5-6 gear off with abigg enough puller. if you can tear down your trans yourself you will save a lot of money.

Prof said:
same here just mine is going into 3rd. this started about 2-3k miles ago. just as your describing :dontknow:

Today I changed the shifter out with a B&M. And that was a big difference:rock:
When I gear up to second now it just say "click" and hit the gear right away:D
Feels almost like a new truck again.

Passelat said:
Today I changed the shifter out with a B&M. And that was a big difference:rock:
When I gear up to second now it just say "click" and hit the gear right away:D
Feels almost like a new truck again.
good to hear.:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details