Problems passing emissions test..

Volatile

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first real thread while actually owning a Viper Truck. For those who don't know, I ended up buying Cody's (Psycho Mythic) truck. I absolutely love everything about this truck, and haven't looked back once at my Cobra! Getting it through Delaware inspection on the other hand, i'm not so fond of.

From what Cody's told me, the truck has high flow cats on it, as well as long tubes. In DE, they do a sniff test to check for hydrocarbon as well as carbon monoxide levels. When trying to take the truck through, I passed the CO levels with flying colors, but completely bombed the HC test. The limit (in ppm) for hydrocarbons is 220, and the truck put out 966..

When I had my Cobra with no cats and stock manifolds, I ended up dumping a quart of denatured alcohol in an almost empty tank and I just barely passed. I'm not sure how I feel about doing that to this motor, though. I'm looking to you guys for advice on how to get this thing through without hacking up the exhaust!

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if a gas treatment chemical works or not. Most local auto parts stores have so called fuel treatments that help pass emissions. Never tried it but I'm sure others will chime in.

If it has the SCT prgrammer put it back to stock. You may have to trade me your headers for my manifolds as well to pass. I am being serious, long tube headers themselves will kill emissions testing. High flow cats will also raise the HC PPM. You could always pay to have an exhaust shop put it back factory every year or find a "nice" inspector if there is such a thing?

If I'm not mistaken, you could look completely through the high flow cats that he has. It's pretty much like running no cats.

Here in NJ you can pay a local mechanic to ensure passage of the state inspection... spend your money wisely!

MOVE to a state that dosn't have those stupid restrictions on performance vehicles or any vehicle for that mattert

raceram9 said:
MOVE to a state that dosn't have those stupid restrictions on performance vehicles or any vehicle for that mattert

your a smart guy ,,,,NOT:D

I'll clarify by saying that some local mechanic's have the ability to perform state inspection services at a nominal fee vs. free of charge state inspection facilities that do everything 100% by the book.

Jigsaw89 said:
Here in NJ you can pay a local mechanic to ensure passage of the state inspection... spend your money wisely!

Thanks for the advice guys, I just shot Torrie an e-mail. Hopefully there's something I can do in the tune to get it through. I really don't want to go hacking up this exhaust. I'll keep you guys posted.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back