Problems with the truck today...bad brakes...but a Great Drive

CarDude

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so we took the truck to a Viper Club drive today. Neither of us were feeling too well, and we thought it was going to rain...so not real Viper top down weather (sub...in goes the truck). There were a ton of cars: 18+ Vipers, 2 Ram SRT-10s, 4 Porsches, 2 Ferraris, 1 Prowler, 1 Lamborgini, and 1 SRT-6 Crossfire. What a scary group to be in front of on a back road. This was the first time multiple cars used the pull-offs to get out of the way. It was simply, awesome. We had a few pit stops...and I finally got to the pack leaders...the Ferrari 550 and the Cayman. It is the hardest I have pushed the truck on the streets yet...but OH MY GOD...they couldn't lose me...until, my brakes started to fade and squeak. The pedal kind of went to the floor. I let them cool down by using the automatic a little more (which is pretty hard to do on winding road with the stupid column shifter...but I managed). They did come back after a little bit. Now they feel fine...

I think the brake fluid boiled and the rotors overheated? Anyone else encouter this...?

All in all the group was wayyyyy impressed with the SRT Ram. An SRT Viper was right behind me and he said...Jesus you almost needed to pass the Porsche and Ferrari. I was sooo very impressed with the QUAD cab truck. I included a picture of some of them oooggling over the JMBed engine. They were saying OMG that truck really handles (thanks Boomer).

After this rebuild I find the Old Vipers have a hard time getting away...one today couldn't...I was on him like stink on poop. This is only while rolling 40+ (I am sure they will finally take me...but they just can't seem to get away...happened multiple times today)

Today's multiple scary events where cattle crossings, like 10 of them...brakes locked up...(aaaahhhhaaa that might have done it...) before you hit them and rip your front end off. I felt like I caught some air twice today...aaahhhh fun.

We also met the first Viper's chief engineer Roy Sjeoberg...he help create the Viper. I have a poster with his autograph of the first "prototype" Viper. What a great day...:party:

Attachments

• resize_all_cars.jpg
    resize_all_cars.jpg
    804.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Resize_Ferrari 550.jpg
    Resize_Ferrari 550.jpg
    761.4 KB · Views: 58
  • resize_Checking_out_the_truck.jpg
    resize_Checking_out_the_truck.jpg
    711 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
That sounds like you had a blasty blast. BUT :needpics:

I'm sorry to hear about your brakes. I've had a similar thing happened to me about a month ago when a couple of buddies and I had GTG with our cars. I pushed it, and noticed the same thing. check out the brake forums on here - I think zek heussen makes some pretty sweet rotors. might be something to consider, if you don't have it already. Our trucks are heavy SOBs (but fast:) ), so it's much harder on the brakes than a porsche or lambo with the same setup.

Ad some QA-1s and really watch the truck perform/handle. I havent had any brake issues on mine, even doing some road racing. Glad you had fun!

I'll be dropping off my drag radials and wheels to WYOSRT10 (I think thats his name) at Bandimere monday at 230pm, cant wait to see his quad cab as well.

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
Ad some QA-1s and really watch the truck perform/handle. I havent had any brake issues on mine, even doing some road racing. Glad you had fun!

I'll be dropping off my drag radials and wheels to WYOSRT10 (I think thats his name) at Bandimere monday at 230pm, cant wait to see his quad cab as well.
Yep going to Denver to pick up some goodies from DaveT(badvenm). Looks like rain for tomorrow too. Seems like every time I take to truck to Denver it rains.

wyoramsrt-10 said:
Yep going to Denver to pick up some goodies from DaveT(badvenm). Looks like rain for tomorrow too. Seems like every time I take to truck to Denver it rains.

OOooopppssss forgot the pictures....look again.

Stay away then....just makes me have't wash a car...:mad:

Just kiddding...

Cool story. Hope you are able to take care of the brakes. Thanks for the pics.

Dave T(BADVENM) said:

I think the cattle crossings where really hard on the brakes...I mean 80+ to 20 in a smash it to the floor kind of pedal action. Some of the crossing were at the bottom of a hill and others were a jump in the street.

It really was an amazing time today.

CarDude said:
Stay away then....just makes me have't wash a car...:mad:

Just kiddding...
As long as it doesn't SNOW:D I'll be there. It sucks that winter is coming up fast.

BTW looks like a you had some fun. I am going to have to make one of the cruises sometime. The son would love that.

wyoramsrt-10 said:
BTW looks like a you had some fun. I am going to have to make one of the cruises sometime. The son would love that.

This was probably one of the most fun...it was in Fort Collins (wayyyy North).

We covered some 250 miles today with multiple stops.

Last edited:
Now that's impressive, bad brakes and all. :rock:

It's really funny when you look at the truck and it's almost twice the size of some of the car, and it can still woop some ass.

Great job CD. :rock: :rock: :) :burnout:

Silverback said:
Now that's impressive, bad brakes and all. :rock:

It's really funny when you look at the truck and it's almost twice the size of some of the car, and it can still woop some ass.

Great job CD. :rock: :rock: :) :burnout:

Thanks silver...I wonder if some of those new slotted rotors would help along with different brake pads. Maybe even a brake fuild change to something with a higher boiling temp.

Odd: I saw a gray Ferrari 550 at Easton yesterday.
:D

Glad to hear you had a good time.
Slotted rotors/new pads would probably help, but a brake fluid change is a REALLY good idea.

Kevan said:
Odd: I saw a gray Ferrari 550 at Easton yesterday.
:D

Glad to hear you had a good time.
Slotted rotors/new pads would probably help, but a brake fluid change is a REALLY good idea.

You might be correct. I have never pushed her so hard....very, very pleased. She really talks to you in corners though.....eeerrrrrreeeeee. Probably scares most but she still grips well. I am still on my bald Pirellis with my BFGs in the garage. Almost mounted them before the drive but decided I want a big smokey burnout picture.

At one point in the drive about 20 cars were behind me, we had a stop sign and some on coming traffic....so I let er loose and left a nice long twin patch of directions for the rest of the group to follow...that is right before they all came over to see the beast. The SRT behind me said "Nice driven trucker". Made us laugh.

CarDude said:
a nice long twin patch of directions for the rest of the group to follow...
Heh heh....cool!

Try the brake fluid swap. It's pretty cheap, easy and quick to do.
Tip- wear rubber gloves. :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back