Pulley squeaking from cold start

I'd stay away from belt dressing, it usually causes more slippage and shorter life of your belt.

Could it be the idler pulley has lost some tension (with age and use), when the belt is wet it slips?

enforcer17 said:
I'd stay away from belt dressing, it usually causes more slippage and shorter life of your belt.

Could it be the idler pulley has lost some tension (with age and use), when the belt is wet it slips?

The belt is no longer wet, but it started when it had gotten wet and now I can't get it to go away.

I'd bet a belt replacement would fix this, but I doubt its the real issue.

Sure others will pipe in, but my guess is that the idler pulley tension is no longer sufficient and would need to be replaced.

enforcer17 said:
I'd bet a belt replacement would fix this, but I doubt its the real issue.

Sure others will pipe in, but my guess is that the idler pulley tension is no longer sufficient and would need to be replaced.

I just changed my belt less than 300 miles ago on 01-25-2010.

I hope it's not the idler pulley since it wasn't doing it previous to the belt getting wet.....but that's why I'm asking for help.:(

10banger said:
I just changed my belt less than 300 miles ago on 01-25-2010.

I hope it's not the idler pulley since it wasn't doing it previous to the belt getting wet.....but that's why I'm asking for help.:(

Belt squeal after rain or wash is normal.... annoying... but, normal. There is really nothing you can do about it.

...... Now, if your crank pulley was loose, and was crooked when you tightened it up.... that's another issue.

FATJACK said:
WD 40 is a cleaner not a lubricant. Once you spray it with WD it needs to be relubricated.
I think I saw your truck at the airport a few months back... do you have the chrome handles on it? Nashville BNA

I'm almost 100% it's the belt not the belt tensioner squeaking. The tensioner may be causing the squeaking.... - BTW

Black1 said:
Belt squeal after rain or wash is normal.... annoying... but, normal. There is really nothing you can do about it.

...... Now, if your crank pulley was loose, and was crooked when you tightened it up.... that's another issue.

The crank case pulley bolt was loose but appeared to go back in snug without cross-threading....

I'm going to look at the crank case pulley today to see if it wobbles.

10banger said:
The crank case pulley bolt was loose but appeared to go back in snug without cross-threading....

I'm going to look at the crank case pulley today to see if it wobbles.
put some blue loc-tite on it...or it will back out again!

10banger said:
I think I saw your truck at the airport a few months back... do you have the chrome handles on it? Nashville BNA

I'm almost 100% it's the belt not the belt tensioner squeaking. The tensioner may be causing the squeaking.... - BTW
probably griffsrt's ride, did it have chrome wheels instead of polished.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back