Question about changing trans

ramsrt711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys Im putting built auto trans in truck and I ran into problem. There is a 3/8" gap between TC and flexplate that was not there with stock TC. I have what looks like a 3/8" thick plate in between motor and trans. Is this removable? I dont know if you can see plate in pics.

Attachments

• 2011-11-10_17-12-13_523.jpg
    2011-11-10_17-12-13_523.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 127
  • 2011-11-10_17-11-50_476.jpg
    2011-11-10_17-11-50_476.jpg
    726.3 KB · Views: 103
What you describing sounds normal to me. When you install the converter bolts it will tighten the converter to the flex plate and allows for a small clearance gap between the converter snout and the oil pump in the transmission.

Now if it was the other way around and you didn't have a gap then that is bad. That would mean when the converter was installed into the tranny it wasn't aligned properly to engage the pump. If the tranny was sucked up with the bolts in this case it can damage the tranny internally.

The reason I ask is there is a big difference in gaps between converters. When I took it for test drive around 35 MPH something would kickin hard. It would shift gears before that sound and after. Stock TC would stick out about 3/8" more compared to other TC and they were both pushed in all the way.

honestly bud I would have to call the trans guy to check , but IF not mistaken you are supposed to remove the adapter, not 100% because when we tried to use one they were too heavy and would crack the flywheel, so we got our own single disc built, the tripple is way overkill anyway,
but the diesal trannies dont use the adapter, hence if not mistaken why you ended up iwth the difference.

if you want let me know, I can check with him

Well that makes sence. I wasnt sure if the adapter would come off. It was a hassle swapping trans the first time since I had no lift and didnt want to unbolt anything till I was sure.

That triple disc converter is alot heavier than the converter I use, you're losing power spinning that extra mass. Stick with a single disc converter for our trucks.

honestly bud I would have to call the trans guy to check , but IF not mistaken you are supposed to remove the adapter, not 100% because when we tried to use one they were too heavy and would crack the flywheel, so we got our own single disc built, the tripple is way overkill anyway,
but the diesal trannies dont use the adapter, hence if not mistaken why you ended up iwth the difference.

if you want let me know, I can check with him

That triple disc converter is alot heavier than the converter I use, you're losing power spinning that extra mass. Stick with a single disc converter for our trucks.

I'm with Dumb and Dumber.^^^^^:D
Single disc is the way to go. Several of us, including myself and poolboy^. have had great success with the single disc.

I researched converters like a mofo after a local shop in Phoenix built mine and I didn't like it, truck seemed sluggish. Found another guy that built me one and that made a big difference, same guy that now makes them for Tony, I believe. I would give him a call before you put that triple disc in, look at my 1/4 and 60ft times for proof.

When I bought trans I was told it was built but did not know it had a triple disc TC. Right now my only option is stick with Triple disc or run stock TC back in. Eventually I will get a single. Which TC out of the 2 that I have would give me more performance for now?

if you have the choice I would run the stock one, the tripples are really heavy, actually heavier than oem, plus you may take the risk of cracking the oem flywheel

Now that I think about it I was told it was a Sun Coast TC. When I was filling it with fluid It had SRT 10 stamped on along with other numbers.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back