Question for Paxton Owners

rtgordon

Reaction score
I purchased a paxton supercharged 2005 QC earlier this year... I noticed the serpentine belt was looking frayed so I bought a new belt and took it in to a local speed shop to diagnose and fix the problem.

Anyways, while I was there, I had them dyno the truck. I got 529hp and 510tq. I was surprised that this number was so low. I have been reading up on on it some, and have seen different solutions.

One particular solution on the other forum suggested that the IAT location on the intake right before the throttle body was bad and needed to be located to an ambient air location in front of the radiator or air intake before the sc because the truck was picking up the heat and pulling timing regardless of the fact that it was compressed. If I do relocate the IAT, any suggestions for plugging the current IAT hole? or how to relocate?

I have seen other more complex solutions, but I'm trying to keep it simple if possible.

I figure the sc was installed and not messed with shortly after buying the truck in 2005. Have there been any revisions to the system?

Anything else in general I need to look at? Check/change sc water/coolant?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gordon

Gordon, please fill out your profile. It helps other members to see where you are before responding (the answer to your question varies wildly depending on if you are in Denver or Houston).

I think them numbers are about right , what #'s were you hoping to see ??

The numbers are low, but I don't think your IAT is your issue. Does it have a wideband A/F gauge? How do plugs looks? What tune? Way too many unknowns to help much at this point bud.

Gordon, please fill out your profile. It helps other members to see where you are before responding (the answer to your question varies wildly depending on if you are in Denver or Houston).

Right... Sorry about that Keller, TX (DFW area) ambient temp about 100 degrees (dyno was in the garage with fan blowing over the engine). Humidity approx 45%. I was hoping to see high 500's/low 600's based on what I read and the claims from Paxton. Truck has 42K miles. Supercharger 30K I'm guessing. Other mods are Bellanger headers and magnaflow cat-back.

Way too many unknowns to help much at this point bud

Exactly... I agree. Too many unknowns. I'm looking for places to start... basic stuff being a forced induction newbie. :dontknow:

Things like:

How much coolant solution should be in the charger cooler? Full? If not, that could be part of my problem.

If it isn't full, should I drain and refill? Should I fill with a mixture of water wetter, distilled water, and anti freeze? Or water/mehtanol? Or just top off with water wetter and distilled water? I probably need to confirm the pump is pumping somehow, too.

I can pull a plug and see if it looks fouled.

I will post a pic of the dyno. Indicated A/F looked a little rich.

Has Paxton made any changes to the system since it came out in 2005? (I emailed paxton... waiting for a reply) I'm assuming straight up Paxton install. I know the heat exchanger is the paxton and upgrading that can help. I'm also assuming paxton computer. Any way to easily tell?

I'm reading and slowly putting some things together, but it is difficult as threads go off topic and are at all kinds of levels and often assume fundamental knowledge of your own system and systems in general. Mine was purchased from the original owner that had it all done and didn't really know everything that was put in.

Is there anything else I can tell/show you that might help.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Gordon, there are two different Novi superchargers used since this kit was released. Your numbers are low. Did the dyno facility do any data logging on the truck while it was in their dyno?

The QC paxton kits are rated at 595ish flywheel because of the tranny. The supercharger pulley is larger than the RC kits.

Gordon, there are two different Novi superchargers used since this kit was released. Your numbers are low. Did the dyno facility do any data logging on the truck while it was in their dyno?

No data logging on the dyno. I'd have to have it tuned to get that. Which I may look into doing if I don't find anything.

On an average the gains are around 150hp with the Paxton at stock boost (5-6psi), stock quad cabs sit around 400ish stock (380-415), coolant should be full in the water cooler,who it was tuned by is very important to find out by??? I'm guessing by the low # it's an SCT online tune done and hasn't been fine tuned, for the IAT sensor, mine is in stock location and does just fine there, if the air going in is hot and it pulls timing then there's a reason for that is to save your engine from detonating which is a good thing! These stock pistons don't deal well with detonation!!

On an average the gains are around 150hp with the Paxton at stock boost (5-6psi), stock quad cabs sit around 400ish stock (380-415), coolant should be full in the water cooler,who it was tuned by is very important to find out by??? I'm guessing by the low # it's an SCT online tune done and hasn't been fine tuned, for the IAT sensor, mine is in stock location and does just fine there, if the air going in is hot and it pulls timing then there's a reason for that is to save your engine from detonating which is a good thing! These stock pistons don't deal well with detonation!!

If it was installed in 05 and hasn't been messed with since then I doubt it's an sct, they didn't come out until 07-08.

I understand now that the auto tranny is rated 595 at the flywheel. Seems like I've seen similar qc setups (sc, headers, cat back) posting higher, though.

I think that the post I read was from a while back and was originally looked at as a solution, but ultimately was not used.

I need to re-check the charger cooler. I seem to remember putting my finger in there and not feeling anything. Honestly at the time I bought it I wasn't sure what I needed to do... I read that these systems are closed loop and basically maintenance free so I left it alone not having a good understanding of what everything did... Until I had it on the dyno and am looking at what might be possible issues.

I'll look through the papers and see if I can find out anything about who/where.

Last edited:
I understand the auto tranny is rated 595 at the flywheel. Seems like I've seen similar setups (sc, headers, cat back) posting higher, though.

I think that the post I read was from a while back and was originally looked at as a solution, but ultimately was not used.

I need to re-check the charger cooler. I seem to remember putting my finger in there and not feeling anything. I am at work and not able to do so right now.

I'll look through the papers and see if I can find out anything about who/where.

It's not far off and really depends if it was a loaded dyno or not. You just missed a lil gtg in D/FW Monday night we had. You should bring it down to Waco Saturday. What plugs are in it? Yes I'm sure like ArrestmeRed said you have a Paxton boost a pump and fuel control unit and likely crap tuning. Needs an SCT

Did I miss what kind of dyno it was on? They vary from one to another as far as hp ratings. How many psi you running? If I was you I would change the plugs as decent amount of miles since blower install. Even with proper tune though I don't see you making the hp you were hoping for. And if you do your tranny will go shortly after it does. I would purchase a a/f guage it's a big importance on a boosted truck. Just my 2 cents but I don't know much

I was in the same situation you are in now. Stock QC with stock Paxton install. Depending on how much your willing to spend, you can pull 575 to 630HP at the rear wheels with that Paxton setup.

The very first thing you need to do is buy an SCT tuner ($450ish) install 69lbs injectors ($700ish) remove the black Paxton SS box, twin helper pumps and FMU, replace your OEM fuel pump with a Walbro 400lpg fuel pump ($200ish). Give Torrie a call and get it tuned and dyno'd. I've been told the OEM fuel pump is good for 600HP but I wouldn't risk it.

The stock fuel management that comes with the Paxton is really garbage.

I understand now that the auto tranny is rated 595 at the flywheel. Seems like I've seen similar qc setups (sc, headers, cat back) posting higher, though.

I need to re-check the charger cooler. I seem to remember putting my finger in there and not feeling anything. Honestly at the time I bought it I wasn't sure what I needed to do... I read that these systems are closed loop and basically maintenance free so I left it alone not having a good understanding of what everything did... Until I had it on the dyno and am looking at what might be possible issues.

I was in the same situation you are in now. Stock QC with stock Paxton install. Depending on how much your willing to spend, you can pull 575 to 630HP at the rear wheels with that Paxton setup.

The very first thing you need to do is buy an SCT tuner ($450ish) install 69lbs injectors ($700ish) remove the black Paxton SS box, twin helper pumps and FMU, replace your OEM fuel pump with a Walbro 400lpg fuel pump ($200ish). Give Torrie a call and get it tuned and dyno'd. I've been told the OEM fuel pump is good for 600HP but I wouldn't risk it.

The stock fuel management that comes with the Paxton is really garbage.

You are the only person I know still recommending Torrie for FI tuning. Chris Jensen is the unanimous choice.

You are the only person I know still recommending Torrie for FI tuning. Chris Jensen is the unanimous choice.

I agree with Chris Jensen for the tuning! He did an amazing job on tuning my truck when other tuners couldn't get it tuned properly! I seen him on the dyno tuning a few times and he is very very fussy on what he does! :) and does it amazingly well too :)

I'm in the same place apart from I'm a long way away. The uk!
You can check the Paxton charge cooler pump is running by turning on the ignition and walking round to the passenger side and if you put your ear down just under the light you will hear it, you will also see a swirl in the header tank when the pump is running with the cap off. It (mine) has a inline fuse to the pump on the passenger side in a little rubber case see if that's in tacked also. It's just near the paxton (split second) ecu
I've got a aem a/f gauge it runs 14.5.ish off boost and about 11.5 at full chat which is about right for a Paxton piggyback ecu. (Split second)
I've being speaking to row and they recommend injectors/fule pump/sct to really get it right. Exactly what tdamon30 posted.

Charlie

Thanks for all the info guys! Looks like I have some work to do. The cooler header was empty (maybe a little on the bottom... I could not reach any liquid with my finger) so I topped it off with some royal purple purple ice and filtered water. I can see it swirling around in there so I know it is pumping.

Plugs on the car are autolite 3922's. I pulled plug #1 and it seemed okay.

Attached is a pic of the dyno read out. Looks like I was wrong about humidity... a little lower inside the garage.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• dyno.jpg
    dyno.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back