Question for the Cali guys

tribal636

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to remove the rear cat's from my truck but want to hear from the Cali guys that have done this. Has anyone removed the rear cat's and passed smog? I just want to know prior to going to a muffler shop if I should have the pipes made with a flange so I can put the cat's back on for smog or not. Thanks in advance. Also, if anyone is bored and wants to post mods they have done and still passed smog I would appreciate it.

Damn, I was hoping not to have to deal with it. Looks like test pipes are gonna be in my future. Thanks for the info.

You will pass the sniffer but not the visual if they look for all four. But a doubt they will.

Im sure the "special kids" up here in the high desert have no clue this truck is supposed to have 4 cats. Either way to be safe Im gonna have to get test pipes made.

When I smoged mine I put the tune back to stock and the guy looked at the computer then counted the cats. Looked around the gas tank for something put on the rollers and then it passed. I have a set of mids with the rears removed but you can tell something was cut out. Maybe I will take a grinder and sand and high temp paint so it looks like nothing ever has there.

Just a quick question.....if I remove all the Cats on the truck, will it give me a check engine light or would I need to have truck re-tuned afterwards? Anybody that has it done, how much throatier does it sound? I have the Magnaflow catback system and I'm not impressed by the sound.....but I'm new to the V10 world also.

It should not throw a check engine light. Just make sure your 02 sensors are plugged in and you should be fine or get a O2 simulator.

I want to change out the fronts to high flows. I have a little time to figure out what I want to do. Just getting ideas for exhaust after the build this summer.

Those Fake cats looks dope and that would work for visual for sure. Chad is correct and not passing with the rears taken off though. My buddy owns a smog shop and i confirmed with him that the truck will pass without the rear cats but will fail visual and "most" places will visually check for 4 but if you were to use the fake ones that BecauseRacetruck posted for the rear and welded bungs in for your rear o2 sensors nobody would know. FAKE CATS FTW

Sounds like my best bet is going to be test pipes and just put the cats back in for smog. I really hate this state haha

Sounds like my best bet is going to be test pipes and just put the cats back in for smog. I really hate this state haha

YUUUUUUUUUUP just like i said from the beginning lol, but those Fake cats would be pretty cool setup to use for your test pipes too. For the cost id say its worth it

Yeah man for 40 bucks each you are 100% guaranteed to pass visual and you can just weld the fakes in instead of having a flanged section of test pipe. If you're a boss you could run all 4 fake but if you still have to do a sniffer text I wouldn't and just run high flows up front so you can pass. Do these trucks have an 02 sensor after the rear cats too or just the front ones?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back