Question on QC Shift Feel

oldguysrt10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my new QC 2006 Friday in Missouri and have a question on shifts. On mild accelaration the shift from 2-3 (and cometimes 1-2 and 3-4) is rough compared to feel of my '04 QC Hemi I traded in. What seems normal for shift smoothness on the new QC SRT10s? Just trying to determine if I have a problem and need to get to a dealership or if it's normal. Truck now has 960 miles on it (745 from Missouri back home in Texas then driving around to show it to friends).

Thanks for any info./help.

My 05 QC shifts tire chirping hard especially 1-2 which I really like...I assume this is normal..I drove 2 different QCs at the SRT Track Event and they both shifted hard..I wished my SRT8 would shift as hard..

The autos in the srt's are modified slightly from the hemis, due to more torque and hp the plates and springs are heavier, to provide slightly more line pressure, thus letting the clutches ingage quicker to provide less slippage .

When I put the shift kit in my QC I noticed several instances where the kit said to drill or replace a spring that the srt tranny allready had these modifications.

Your tranny is more than likely fine.

2 completely different transmissions. you can't compare your hemi trans which is the 5-45RFE and the one behind your SRT-10 is the 48RE. they dont share any of the same components and the 5-45RFE is a complete electronic controlled trans. The 48RE still uses a throttle pressure cable, you can make some adjustments on it to soften the shift, but who wants to do that?

bucke77 said:
2 completely different transmissions. you can't compare your hemi trans which is the 5-45RFE and the one behind your SRT-10 is the 48RE. they dont share any of the same components and the 5-45RFE is a complete electronic controlled trans. The 48RE still uses a throttle pressure cable, you can make some adjustments on it to soften the shift, but who wants to do that?

Exactlamente! I have both and they are completely different.
Talk to Sun Coast if you want a different feel.

See the thing is that the 545RFE behind the hemi is actually a mercedes benz transmssion(in fact it has dual starter bolt patterens for left or right hand drive). It was designed for comfort and a smooth shift. the 48Re is actually a 727 with an o/d on the end of the trans. The 727 is a very strong dependable unit, but it has always had a much firmer shift.

Same here, sounds like it's standard.....I love it, good, firm, aggressive shifts that let you know you're driving a beast :rock:

Someone told me a long time ago that the newer auto truck trannies typically have so many problems because they are built for smooth shifts, which is made possible by slipping the clutches, which causes heat and leads to failure....been told that well built trannies have stiffer shifts, which is a good sign :dontknow:

Like someone said, I like the 2nd gear scratches....good times...

Mine is EXTREEMLY firm... after the rework and trans-go shift kit..... people who ride with me... complain about it and ask.. why does it bump so hard... but I tell them.. hey.. this aint your mothers caddy!! :D :D :D :burnout: lol!!=)

Since we are talking about transmissions, the manual says to get the bands adjusted at 15K miles. I got mine adjusted and it shifts hard as shit.

FlyingLow said:
Since we are talking about transmissions, the manual says to get the bands adjusted at 15K miles. I got mine adjusted and it shifts hard as shit.

Did the dealership do it under warranty or did you have to pay?? By the way, did you get ur truck fixed after the guard rail or are you still waitn on it??:dontknow:

KRAZYSRT10 said:
Did the dealership do it under warranty or did you have to pay?? By the way, did you get ur truck fixed after the guard rail or are you still waitn on it??:dontknow:

The band adjustment is normal service, so you will have to pay (just like an oil change). My truck just got looked at today by the insurance company. So it is still not fixed.

FlyingLow said:
The band adjustment is normal service, so you will have to pay (just like an oil change). My truck just got looked at today by the insurance company. So it is still not fixed.

Thanx for the response!! Hope they get it fixed soon!!!....GOOD LUCK SCOTT!!!!!!!!!;) :D

Band adjustment is a piece of cake, just have it done when you service the tranny.

Azpyroguy I know what ya mean , after installing the kit on our QC it definitly wil break your neck under acceleration:rock:

Stinker said:
Band adjustment is a piece of cake, just have it done when you service the tranny.

Azpyroguy I know what ya mean , after installing the kit on our QC it definitly wil break your neck under acceleration:rock:
Can you guys tell me more about this "kit"...I am interested....should I do it before an SC or after??? I have 4-5 yrs in Hawaii and thats plenty of time to supe it up for the 2011 Nats!!!:D:D:D

azpyroguy said:
Mine is EXTREEMLY firm... after the rework and trans-go shift kit..... people who ride with me... complain about it and ask.. why does it bump so hard... but I tell them.. hey.. this aint your mothers caddy!! :D :D :D :burnout: lol!!=)

What is a "Trans-go shift kit"?

The harder the shift the better, they build a lot less heat in the trans which makes them live much longer.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back