Question on QC Shift Feel

FlyingLow said:
What is a "Trans-go shift kit"?
http://www.transgoperformance.com/
I've got one sitting right next to me for my Hemi. Haven't install all of it yet. Improves the shifting firmness (both up and down) and strenghtens some of the parts. SunCoast had them also in stock.

Q What does the TransGo Performance Shift Kit® really do for my transmission, how does it increase the durability/driveability, and why do I need one?
A Generally speaking, the modifications in the TransGo Performance Shift Kit® correct certain inherent design (or time caused) malfunctions, and at the same time, carefully revise the control system to supply more controlled oil to the shifting clutches and bands that activate the various gear ratios in the transmission. Additionally most kits increase the apply rate and holding ability of the Torque Converter Clutch (on models equipped with one). Most kits also increase lubrication flow for better cooling, converter feed, and of course lubrication to the gears, bearings, shafts, and bushings.

Q How long does it take to install?
A About three hours depending on transmission model.

Q Is this Shift Kit better than all the others?
A Guaranteed better! Compare parts content, performance and technology .The improvement in performance is unmatched!

Q Will it help with towing?
A Big advantage! Driver controlled shift points downshift's on demand, less strain on engine, transmission, and driveline. Dramatically improves durability and longevity.

Q Does it have more parts and better technology than other shift improver type kits?
A We have the most comprehensive Performance Shift Kit system for G.M. Chrysler and Ford. Not just a gasket with a few springs. TransGo solves the O.E. deficiencies through special valving, line pressure improvements, and specially machined integral parts.

Q If these improvements are so good why didn¹t the factory do them?
A The transmissions are designed by the factory engineers to suit a wide variety of average drivers and uses, along with cost constraints, and dozens of other obstacles. Like many other components on the vehicle, there is more potential there, it just needs to be let out, or custom tailored for more specific use.

Q Are all the kits the same or are they specific for different uses?
A There can be several TransGo Performance Shift Kits® for the same model transmission, depending on the type of kit; Stick-Shift or Automatic. Some are dual-purpose, and installed according to the intended use of the vehicle and the drivers desire. For example - the TransGo Performance Shift Kit® for the GM 700 can be installed either as stick shift option or automatic shift - the same kit does both. Other kits may combine towing/heavy duty use along with race/street strip use. See the catalog listings and descriptions for more details on specific kit functions for your vehicle.

Q Does TransGo make Performance Shift Kits for older applications & muscle cars ?
A Yes. If it's an American transmission and dates back to the 60's . Yes

Q Does TransGo make Shift Kits for all electronic transmissions ?
A Yes..Most domestic Ford, G.M, and Chrysler's with no computer interference.

Q Is the step by step video good ? And easy to follow ?
A Each video is specially designed for each kit type. It is included as a guide to work hand in hand with the complete and detailed printed instructions that are included with each kit. We have tried to structure the videos to obtain the most trouble-free results for the performance enthusiast.

Q Do I need an overhead rack to install ?
A No , Installation can be done on jack stands in your driveway.

Q Will the installation of TransGo Performance Shift Kit® hurt my transmission?
A On the contrary, the TransGo Performance Shift Kit® will IMPROVE durability by increasing friction component apply/holding ability. This reduces heat buildup that harms friction components, and at the same time increases cooling and lubrication flow in the transmission.

Q Will the installation of the TransGo Performance Shift Kit® make my transmission bulletproof, and immune to any possible harm?
A Of course not! Nothing can really do that. What IT WILL DO is greatly increase the capacity and durability of the transmission to its maximum potential, not make it impervious to any possible harm. Think of it like this: You have a hot running small block Chevy engine with built with high performance connecting rods and rod bolts. While these parts are far better than stock, there is still a limit to how high the engine could be revved before it flies apart.

Q I talked to a transmission shop about putting a kit in my car. He said I don¹t need one since he can just drill a couple holes and block some valves (or something) that do the same thing. If that¹s true, then why do I need a TransGo Performance Shift Kit®?
A It¹s not really true. Yes, some guys can drill some holes and such to create firmer shifts but its pretty much hit & miss guesswork. Usually they end up with uncoordinated bangy feeling shifts, which not only fail to increase durability, but can actually cause more harm than good. We look at these types of modifications as nothing more than ³cheap carnival tricks² that don¹t even compare to the TOTAL engineering package that you get from a TransGo Performance Shift Kit®.

Q I feel my transmission shifts into too high of a gear too soon for my liking. Will the TransGo Performance Shift Kit® stop this for me?
A That depends on the specific transmission model. Generally speaking, transmissions that are computer shifted (most domestics since early 90¹s) will still utilize the factory shift timing, which is controlled by the onboard computer. This automatic shift function is not changed with the installation of the TransGo Performance Shift Kit®.

Last edited:
If you want to go a step up from Transgo, Sun Coast has two kits for our Trucks.

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/dodge gas/srt-10/srt-10_accessories.html

2003-06: Upgrade Kit
Part No. 61848-3UG
Price: $296.00

This kit will upgrade the direct (3rd and rev.) clutch from 8 friction elements (4 friction/ 4 steel) to 12 elements (6 Alto Red high energy frictions & 6 Kolene steels). It upgrades the intermediate (2nd) band from a flex to rigid band with Kevlar lining and heavy- duty strut. It includes updated lip seals and Teflon rings, piston, pressure plate and snap ring. This is not a “rebuildâ€￾ kit but will compliment a trans overhaul or converter upgrade.

Extreme duty rebuild kit
Part No. 028907EHP-48
Price: $486.00

This Master rebuild kit offers the shop or DIY truck owner a complete kit with Alto Red Hi-energy frictions, Kolene steels, gaskets, seals, sealing rings, rigid intermediate band, billet strut and anchor, billet 4 ring accumulator. The extreme duty rebuild kit furnishes all the soft parts to accomplish a complete overhaul. It increases clutch count in direct and overdrive. This kit requires a professional skill level.

My post on SunCoast
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5023&highlight=suncoast

Attachments

• drbldkit.jpg
    drbldkit.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 29
  • dxtmrbldkit.jpg
    dxtmrbldkit.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 22
FATJACK said:
The harder the shift the better, they build a lot less heat in the trans which makes them live much longer.

Exactly. The harder they shift, which in turns means less slippage...and in turn means less heat equals longer life.

I have had mine in for about 4,000 miles, and about 1,000 with the SC installed, and I had just had a well-baby check up done on it... and the tech said the tranny looked as good as the day they put it back together... no slippage, but heat marks on clutches, etc..

I pretty much have the extreme duty kit, along with a custom built torque converter, together those were about $2,000, and labor was around $1800.00 for r/r... there was a few other things he did when he tore it apart, but I can not recall what.

My next upgrades are my input shafts, and midshafts.

Scott

Bone said:
If you want to go a step up from Transgo, Sun Coast has two kits for our Trucks.

2003-06: Upgrade Kit
Part No. 61848-3UG
Price: $296.00

This kit will upgrade the direct (3rd and rev.) clutch from 8 friction elements (4 friction/ 4 steel) to 12 elements (6 Alto Red high energy frictions & 6 Kolene steels). It upgrades the intermediate (2nd) band from a flex to rigid band with Kevlar lining and heavy- duty strut. It includes updated lip seals and Teflon rings, piston, pressure plate and snap ring. This is not a “rebuildâ€￾ kit but will compliment a trans overhaul or converter upgrade.

Extreme duty rebuild kit
Part No. 028907EHP-48
Price: $486.00

This Master rebuild kit offers the shop or DIY truck owner a complete kit with Alto Red Hi-energy frictions, Kolene steels, gaskets, seals, sealing rings, rigid intermediate band, billet strut and anchor, billet 4 ring accumulator. The extreme duty rebuild kit furnishes all the soft parts to accomplish a complete overhaul. It increases clutch count in direct and overdrive. This kit requires a professional skill level.

My post on SunCoast
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5023&highlight=suncoast

i dont consider anything with out a clutch pedel able to shift :D

Craig said:
:dontknow: P/N for the Trans-Go???
I didn't get it for my SRT, only for my Hemi. Sorry I can't help you with that one. Did the Transgo site list one?

how do you adjust the bands ?

can someone explain this ?

yves said:
can someone explain this ?

You mean how do you do it or how to get them adjusted. The dealer can do it for you. I had mine adjusted, new fluid and filter done at the same time. I don't remember the excact price, but I know it was less then $150. Plus it got rid of the slippage that was happening from 2nd to 3rd gear. If you want to know how to DIY then ask Stinker. I think he knows and/or has done his before.

Smoke

Bone said:
http://www.transgoperformance.com/
I've got one sitting right next to me for my Hemi. Haven't install all of it yet. Improves the shifting firmness (both up and down) and strenghtens some of the parts. SunCoast had them also in stock.

Thanks for the info. After some tunning and meth kit then tranny will be next in line.

I had mine adjusted, new fluid and filter done at the same time. I don't remember the excact price, but I know it was less then $150.

I know you have a good relationship with your service dept. did they make these adjustments? I mention that I might want to have my kick-down band and the rest adjusted, and before I finished he was already shaking his head no!

"No, you don't want to go inside there. Just flush it and refill it, there's nothing wrong with it. Going inside just creates more problems."
I didn't feel like arguing (Strange I know) so I just let it go.

Why are they always so reluctant to do any work? Doesn't make sense. I am starting to think that they know that they are not qualified to work on my truck! I wasn't even trying to say I wanted it done under warranty! :dontknow:

You live in FL. Take a trip to Sun Coast. Well worth the visit. Nice people, not pushy. I'll met you down there and have my hemi done.

ntw0rk said:
I know you have a good relationship with your service dept. did they make these adjustments? I mention that I might want to have my kick-down band and the rest adjusted, and before I finished he was already shaking his head no!

"No, you don't want to go inside there. Just flush it and refill it, there's nothing wrong with it. Going inside just creates more problems."
I didn't feel like arguing (Strange I know) so I just let it go.

Why are they always so reluctant to do any work? Doesn't make sense. I am starting to think that they know that they are not qualified to work on my truck! I wasn't even trying to say I wanted it done under warranty! :dontknow:

I had this service done when I was up in Va. Your owners manuals says to do it at 15K miles. I just went in and said I need my bands adjusted and I want the fluid changed, how much? If the manual says you should do something, then I would ask why they don't won't too.

Kinda tired right now but will post instructions tommorrow, but basically if you lay under the truck head front feet rear under tranny, look at the drivers side find the shift cable and fluid lines, jsut above the fluid lines you will see a stud kickin out of the tranny with a lock bolt, the other is inside the tranny much easier to get to , just service the tranny with a new filter and you will easily see the band adjuster.

but what you do is loosen the lock nut, tight down the adjuster bolt to a specified torque , then back it off a number of rounds, then tighten lock nut.

done ,, easy

I will take time to post a thread tommorrow with detailed instructions, if I dont ....someone kick me in the nutts and wake me up:D

Stinker said:
done ,, easy

I will take time to post a thread tommorrow with detailed instructions, if I dont ....someone kick me in the nutts and wake me up:D

I hope ya don't so we can start kicken!

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back