Questions re: Push-button start

5th_line_heavy

Reaction score
Sorry for a dumb question but I am new here and don't own one of these cool trucks yet. I've done a search on the forum, but came up dry.

What prevents anyone who gets into the cab from starting her up and driving her away? Is there an OEM factory alarm, like in my 2005 Ram 1500?

Thx/
Bo

You still have to put the key in the ignition on the column and turn it on, then press the almighty red button.:D

Anytime, this is the best site to ask questions. Many here with vast knowledge about these trucks. Welcome to the forum!

Yea, Who needs a Security system, When people grab my Keys and make a mad dash for my truck i dont even chase them. Because i know by the time i walk there, the will be sitting dumbfounded cranking that key in the ignition, Oblivious to the RED "ENGINE START" Button located near the cater console,

Its soo foolproof, I might as well tell you all i know since you took the time to ask. When you put the key in the On position, And press the button, there is no such thing as holding it too long, When the engine starts, the button is disabled automatically,
So if your driving down the road at 150mph (as i Too often Am), and your knee taps that button, Your not going to haft to worry about the starter being slung through the floorboard and into your Hip somewhere, When the engine is running the Button does nothing, Its a great design, and it really adds a nice bit of Simulated Custom Appeal to an otherwise Lackluster Vehicle........

P.S. I might be Intoxicated.

Hey ol' intoxicated one,

Thank you for that! Seriously! I didn't know that when the engine is running, the button is disabled. And that you can't hold it too long. Thanks for more info!

Sincerely,
Sober as Ever

I had to work up Allot of Guts to press that button when the engine was running. Try it....... Nothing happens, And next time you start it, Just hold the button down..... NOTHING HAPPENS

Burkerice07 said:
Yea, Who needs a Security system, When people grab my Keys and make a mad dash for my truck i dont even chase them. Because i know by the time i walk there, the will be sitting dumbfounded cranking that key in the ignition, Oblivious to the RED "ENGINE START" Button located near the cater console,

Its soo foolproof, I might as well tell you all i know since you took the time to ask. When you put the key in the On position, And press the button, there is no such thing as holding it too long, When the engine starts, the button is disabled automatically,
So if your driving down the road at 150mph (as i Too often Am), and your knee taps that button, Your not going to haft to worry about the starter being slung through the floorboard and into your Hip somewhere, When the engine is running the Button does nothing, Its a great design, and it really adds a nice bit of Simulated Custom Appeal to an otherwise Lackluster Vehicle........

P.S. I might be Intoxicated.

If some poor thief was going to take my keys good luck to him. I have a nice, if not annoying, issue with my column. Seems that my column is very picky about being in park. If I don't get it in park just right putting the key in and pushing the start button does me no good. Every time I get in I have issues getting her started if I don't put her in park exactly as she wants it. The usual ritual is pushing the start and hearing nothing. After that I have to put my foot on the brake and work the column for a while before my girl is happy that she is in park. Starting her up is a challenge like most good girls.

It's kind of like sex with mine. She is never in the mood until I get her in the exact position she wants:)

PPS, I'm a little bent too:D

jelms said:
If some poor thief was going to take my keys good luck to him. I have a nice, if not annoying, issue with my column. Seems that my column is very picky about being in park. If I don't get it in park just right putting the key in and pushing the start button does me no good. Every time I get in I have issues getting her started if I don't put her in park exactly as she wants it. The usual ritual is pushing the start and hearing nothing. After that I have to put my foot on the brake and work the column for a while before my girl is happy that she is in park. Starting her up is a challenge like most good girls.

It's kind of like sex with mine. She is never in the mood until I get her in the exact position she wants:)

LMAO!! too funny:rock:

A real man can start it with both hands on the wheel!!!:rock: :rock: :rock: :D

Not me... 6'3" & Hung like a hampster...:eek:

The Itch said:
A real man can start it with both hands on the wheel!!!:rock: :rock: :rock: :D

Not me... 6'3" & Hung like a hampster...:eek:

LMAO, I thought being hung like a hampster was a good thing???:dontknow: :dontknow: :D

not true about the button disabling well atleast not on my 05 qc you push the button while its runnin it will crank the starter over and grind.........maybe its just this particular truck i dont know my 04 rc will not let me do this...........so i dont know

505'sFastestViper. said:
not true about the button disabling well atleast not on my 05 qc you push the button while its runnin it will crank the starter over and grind.........maybe its just this particular truck i dont know my 04 rc will not let me do this...........so i dont know
what he said.........

i've accidently bumped mine before & it grinds, if the clutch is in........

i'm pretty sure the button is enabled by the clutch being in on an rc or in park on a qc whether running or not.........

Last edited:
Burkerice07]Yea, Who needs a Security system, When people grab my Keys and make a mad dash for my truck i dont even chase them. Because i know by the time i walk there, the will be sitting dumbfounded cranking that key in the ignition, Oblivious to the RED "ENGINE START" Button located near the cater console,

I don't think this is the case anymore, just about every new car out there is comming with a start button!:p

It's pretty much the norm now!:(

on the real Ram SRT-10's one has to push the clutch pedal down:rock: :rock: :rock:

ZCx said:
on the real Ram SRT-10's one has to push the clutch pedal down:rock: :rock: :rock:
This is true. With the clutch pedal down, the starter will engage. The reason it doesn't while driving down the road is because the clutch pedal is out.

Another thing about our trucks is the transistor key. There is a little transistor inbedded in the key. So that even if a thief has a duplicate key, the truck will only start and run for a couple seconds then die. The transistor has to be programmed and identified by the truck. Unless you've done the Viper key mod.

Halligan said:
LMAO, I thought being hung like a hampster was a good thing???:dontknow: :dontknow: :D

UMMM... That should have read "GANG'STA"...:eek: :dontknow: :rock: :D

The Itch said:
UMMM... That should have read "GANG'STA"...:eek: :dontknow: :rock: :D

lol....gangsta....wangsta...hamsta...Itch, are you 50 cent?

jelms said:

Put your truck in neutral then start it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back