Racer Dies at Maxton Speed Trials Today

BIG NANA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just heard that a racer lost his life at Maxton today. He went thru the traps at 215MPH, something unkown as of yet happened and he ended up in the woods. It is the Bike speed week in Maxton this weekend, so I assume he was a bike racer, but the info is coming out in sparadic spurts. I will update you folks as I hear more or you can check the ECTA website later on Sunday and I assume that there will be more news. It is very sad when someone loses their life in racing, but it is a very real danger to do the sport we all love.:dontknow:

That sure is bad news, the good news is we got to hear from you, where the hell have you been?????

Here is the background on Dave Owens. http://www.newlimitstuning.com/daveo.php He was a bike racer, about my age, a father who was really proud of his son.

I've been working to get my life turned around and it is hard work to correct years of stupidity, but I'm going to get thru it. I still try to check in once in awhile, still have the truck, still drive it once in a while, we'll see how it goes.

That's too bad. :( Hope they they were atleast prepared in case something like this were to happen. Just sucks tho......

Glad to see you on here once in a while Mark. Things will work out for you. It just takes time....

Yea, Just goes to show you have to be prepared for anything. You never know when life will jump up and bite you in the Butt. The way the world is right now, you just never know. But, I'm glad to see you guys are still trucking, and I'll check in more often, or at least try to. RIP Mr. Dave.

RIP Brother,

it is sad to see a person that has the same passion as we do lose his life. I know that we take so many precautions, Safety step to prevent everything, but sometimes the man above has a different road for us.

Here is an update from someone who went to the track to get first hand information:

I just got back from the track, and here's what we know to be factual -
- Dave made a run timed at 215+.
- After he went thru the traps, he never released the throttle and the bike did not ever slow
- He went straight off the end of the track just past the short shutdown and thru the brush (in other words, the bike did not make the right hand transition onto the long shutdown)
- The bike didn't stop for a considerable distance into the brush - I'd estimate 300 feet or so

Now on to speculation -
It's the guess of many of us that he died during the run of some natural cause (heart attack, stroke - some such catastrophic cause) and then went off the track. PLEASE NOTE - this is speculation. The investigation will, no doubt, continue.

Following the emergency response at the track (which was carried out perfectly by our volunteer staff and the Maxton professionals), Keith, Joe, Donna, and Tonya held a meeting to discuss what we would do going forward. This is a meeting that I hope to never again have to attend. Josh was asked what he wanted, and he decided that his Dad was a racer, and would want us to race. And that's exactly what we did. It was really a wonderful meet with sadness in our hearts but wonderful weather, a renewed sense of safety, and a resolve to carry on. Many records were set, and I suspect that they were all in Dave's memory - many of the racers dedicated their efforts to Dave's memory.

Dave was a great guy and a fine competitor. I did not know him well, but as a volunteer interacted with him on many occasions and found him to be pleasant, helpful, and friendly. I often saw him impart his considerable knowledge to others, including those running on the same records he was running against. In other words, a real gentleman. He will be sorely missed.

I had the chance to remind Josh that we at the track are all his family, and I know that we will all do all we can to help during this time of grief for him and the rest of Dave's family. If you're a praying person, this is the time.

Dan

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back