Rad Flush and Fill

FlaglerSRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has 41xxx miles on it and it's an 04 I've had to add some peak coolant while on a road trip and then I topped off with Dexcool HOAT (it's all I could get) I'm worried about sludge or any other coolant issues so I'm considering a flush.
My questions are:
1. Do I need to do this?
2. How much coolant? And then how much water do I add?
3. Which coolant do I get? Just Mopar stuff
Thanks all!

My truck has 41xxx miles on it and it's an 04 I've had to add some peak coolant while on a road trip and then I topped off with Dexcool HOAT (it's all I could get) I'm worried about sludge or any other coolant issues so I'm considering a flush.
My questions are:
1. Do I need to do this?
2. How much coolant? And then how much water do I add?
3. Which coolant do I get? Just Mopar stuff
Thanks all!

If not sure what peak coolant was I'd drain all and flush then replace with a GL-5 coolant or Mopar coolant. Usually red/orange/pinkish color

Thanks for the fast response I've been looking and it seems to hold a little over 3gal is that mixed with water or straight coolant? In other words would I buy 1.5gal of coolant and add 1.5gal of water?

Thanks for the fast response I've been looking and it seems to hold a little over 3gal is that mixed with water or straight coolant? In other words would I buy 1.5gal of coolant and add 1.5gal of water?

It'll likely take more than that but I like a 70/30 coolant/Distilled Water mix personally. A 170* stat and tune will keep her at 180-185* year round ;)

I plan on doing a 170* swap but I need to figure out how much coolant to get I'll probably just get the Mopar stuff

Are T-stat swaps hard? I've done them in Hemi's a couple of times and it was pretty easy

Also this is probably a stupid question but in order to save some scratch could I use zerex g-05 instead of mopar?

REALLY? C'mon! Spend what u need for the right stuff, coolant 2nd most important liquid in your motor..

It's not that I'm trying to cut corners on a $45xxx truck however venemous1 suggested gl-5 coolant and I'm just trying to figure out if it's the same stuff.

Zerex G05 isn't cheap, they make the Mopar stuff, it is the right stuff to use!!!!!!!

Ok thanks hawk02 that's the answer I was looking for that I don't have to pay Mopar at the stearlership for the same stuff at Napa

When changing the Thermostat, there are 4 bolts holding on the housing!! one is difficult to access. You will need to flash the ECU to get the high speed fan to operate correctly. OH ... and... If the ambient temp. gets near -15F, Mix your coolant 50-50. any richer and it will "gel" and won't flow through the rad. Engine will overheat. been there ! Have fun with your first MOD!!! :rock:

When changing the Thermostat, there are 4 bolts holding on the housing!! one is difficult to access. You will need to flash the ECU to get the high speed fan to operate correctly. OH ... and... If the ambient temp. gets near -15F, Mix your coolant 50-50. any richer and it will "gel" and won't flow through the rad. Engine will overheat. been there ! Have fun with your first MOD!!! :rock:

Great advice and I meant GO-5 not GL-5....no gear lube in the coolant, lol.

Ok guys great info thanks! But I'm not to crazy about reflagging the ECM? Is that required and how would I do it? I'm a little uneasy about messing with this truck I've only dealt with HEMI rams so I don't wanna dick this up

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back