RC 6 speed gear jamming

Vtruck

Reaction score
How’s it going? I did a search but didn't find exactly what I am looking for. I was out in the 04 RC today and took someone for a ride. Everything was fine except on the way back. I went through the gears pretty quick (have done it in the past without any issues) but this time the tranny got locked in 4th gear I believe. The shifter wouldn't budge or even try to move from that position. Lucky I wasn't too far from home. I took off the center counsel to see if the stock shifter was jammed or not. It looked to be the tranny. I put it all back together and talked to a buddy that works on tranny’s. He said to give it a good crack forward to see if it would free up. A couple of tries and it did. I went for a ride and everything seemed ok. When I was really close to home I got on it and went through the gears quickly and you guessed it, it locked up in 4th gear again. I was able to free it up after a bit again and drove it home really easy. My question is, has this happened to anyone else, is it common and/or will it require some tranny work? Thanks for any help or heads up anyone can give.

I've not had that problem but there are some members that have had odd tranny problems. A lot of them can be resolved with a hydraulics upgrade but that doesn't sound like your problem to me. Someone should chime in eventually.

Last edited:
Yours sounds like an odd manifestation of a common issue.... I do believe that your problem is hydraulic. But then again, I'm an idiot musician.... one with only practical experinece and no real mechanical prowess....

That being said, I still believe that manual tranny issues resulting in stuck position will be remedied by replacing the shit OEM slutch slave and master with the one from the Viper coupe. Should cost about $500 to fix.....

That being said, someone like John (Silverback) or someone with greater hands-on experience may blow my theory all to hell....

Good luck bro.....

D

You've got a tranny issue...
The slave would not lock it in gear. I would guess it is either the shifter or a rail problem or even both. You'll have to tear it down to find out for sure.

Sounds like the 3/4 synchro is bad. Try to pay attention to how hard you pull/slam the shifter into 4th when it sticks - if that matters at all.

Thanks guys.... I am going to talk to my buddy that works on tranny's and possibly take the truck to the stealership if it sounds like my extended warranty will fix the issue. I bought the truck earlier in the year and it’s never showed this issue before (really kick a$$ truck!!!) There are two extended warranties from Chrysler Service contracts, the Maximum Care and the Added Care (Maximum Care covering everything (bumper to bumper) and the Added Care is suppose to still cover the tranny housing and all internals. The Added Care is what I have. I am not sure what might be a week link in the T56. (shift forks maybe???)

At first I did think it might be the clutch master cylinder/slave cylinder issue but the clutch seems to be working. The Hurst shifter seemed to work also when I removed it. The truck did roll back when I put the clutch in without any issues and acted normal throughout the whole situation.

Thanks again and if anyone has an idea what might be the issue, please let me know. I just want my “buddyâ€￾ fixed…… :eek:

Last edited:
Good luck with the dealership. They'll probably have to get it to lock in gear themselves before they'll work on it.

kennygene, if that is the case it most likely shouldn't be a problem. I don't want to mess with the truck and I can't say for sure but I think if I take the truck out for a "rip" the tranny will lock in gear. (based on what I seen today) I can most likely drop the truck off to them with the tranny locked up in gear if that is the case. I just don't like messing with the truck in any negative way... I will post up what ever I find out.............

That's what I would do. Lock it in gear and take it to them (have it hauled). Then, if they simply unlock it and give it back, you will have a record and can repeat the process until you get it resolved. Depending on their service department, this could be very easy or very difficult. I wish you the best of luck Keep everyone posted on your progress.

Good luck, sounds like the syncros, or the 3/4 shifter fork maybe?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back