REAR END VIBRATION

TXVIPERPWRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased my 2nd Ram SRT-10 ( I sold my 05 RC in 2009). This time a red quad cab.

I've noticed that when I accelerate from a dead stop to about 5 miles an hour the rear end shutters or vibrates. Anybody have any ideas on the culprit? The truck is lowered in the rear with shackles - thinking axle wrap from the leaf springs?? The truck has 63k miles on it.

I recently purchased my 2nd Ram SRT-10 ( I sold my 05 RC in 2009). This time a red quad cab.

I've noticed that when I accelerate from a dead stop to about 5 miles an hour the rear end shutters or vibrates. Anybody have any ideas on the culprit? The truck is lowered in the rear with shackles - thinking axle wrap from the leaf springs?? The truck has 63k miles on it.

Is the rear end lowered? If so you u joints are probably gone too which can also result insome shuddering. If the rear end is lowered you should have the pinion angle checked and then shim the rear accordingly if it is out of spec. I forget the tolerance but i am sure someone here can chime in.

If she is not lowered i agree carrier bearing is a good start.

Sorry, I posted from my phone before and did not notice you mentioned it was lowered with shackles. I have 1.5" drop shackles on mine and tore up a carrier bearing and u-Joints and was experiencing shuddering real bad around 65-75 mph and sometimes around 45 mph. Believe or not I never really had a shudder from the launch like is usually the case. Anyway, I ended getting the carrier bearing and U-Joints replaced and then shimed the rear end with 2 1/2 degree shims on each side. My shackles were from ground force and they sent the shims after contacting them about the shudder. Hope this helps.

As already suggested, the carrier bearing and U-joints are your issues. However, the drive line angles need to be sorted or any new parts may just wear out again. I never lowered a truck, only lifted one...Issues on the lifted side as well. Back when I joined the site, I posted a link that explained how to calculate drive line angles. For whatever reason, I can't find that post. My suggestion would be to find a local drive line (or drive shaft) shop that specializes with this work.

I'm not much of a mechanic - the carrier bushing is between the 2 drive shafts - correct? Is this an expensive fix?

I don't have the prices but I would suggest you remove the drive shaft or take the truck to driveline shop n have it fixed. To replace the carrier bearing i believe u need a press to remove n reinstall. If the driveline is out of alignment the needle bearings in the joints are probably shot to. Crawl under ur truck n see if the boots on the carrier bearing are chewed up. If they are it most definitely needs replacing. I would guess maybe a couple hundred to fix it.

Also make sure that when u get the carrier bearing u get the right one. I think there is one for the diesels n one for the srt10.

Thanks for everybody's input! If I take it to a driveline shop - do you think it would be worth having them custom fab a single axle instead of replacing the carrier bearing, u-joints and shims from a cost perspective?

Thanks for everybody's input! If I take it to a driveline shop - do you think it would be worth having them custom fab a single axle instead of replacing the carrier bearing, u-joints and shims from a cost perspective?

I am guessing a good drive shaft would be anywhere from $800-$1000 so no it would not be cheaper. To get the parts and pay the labor to just fix what is broke on it as is I am guessing around $500 at the very most.

Others on here who have had driveshafts made can give you a better idea on what it cost.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back