Rear Main Seal

badmood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed oil stains above the oil pan area. I think it might be my rear main seal. I have extended warranty. Any word of advise before I go to the dealership to do the work. They looked at it once and said it looked like residual oil and added a dye to the oil. It has showed up under the truck again.

could be hydraulic oil from the clutch...some have had problems with the slave/master.i'm not very knowlegeable when it comes to the clutches,some one else i'm sure will chime in though:D

Im an Advisor here at a Dodge dealer in DFW, and about 7-8 months ago I had one of my regular customers with an 04 RC had the rear main changed due to leaking, that and we got his warranty company to pay the labor to replace his clutch:D I haven't had any others though, the only oil leak I've had was early this week from the damn OEM oil cooler lines:mad: but I had Chrysler pay for me another set:D

04s seep, i have changed mine 3 times and same result, it wont get real nasty its just not going to be perfect. buddys the same way. over filling the crankcase will cause it to leak out also.

dnz28 said:
04s seep, i have changed mine 3 times and same result, it wont get real nasty its just not going to be perfect. buddys the same way. over filling the crankcase will cause it to leak out also.
Three times for me also.

I think mine is starting this now also. Is there nothing we can do other than make sure oil level stays good. Don't wanna go thru the trouble of changing out the seal if it doesn't even fix it! My truck just hit 10000 miles also. How long do the factory oil lines last? There is no oil dripping out where the truck parks but it is on the truck. Wipe it off at oil change and about 1000 miles later it is back. Any other things it could be?

Stinkers oil lines are a must! Never have another leaky hose again! Oil to the cooler and the power steering to the fan!! They will leak for sure ! I changed my seal recently. $108.00 For the seal here at the dealer!! I should find a spare alittle cheaper somewhere ! Sounds like it will be a common item to replace regularly!!!

If you are running a catchcan without vacuum , there could be pressure buildup in the crankcase that needs to vent. The seal is the easiest place to releive pressure and takes oil with it. F/I guys would be plagued with this problem .

Im an Advisor here at a Dodge dealer in DFW, and about 7-8 months ago I had one of my regular customers with an 04 RC had the rear main changed due to leaking, that and we got his warranty company to pay the labor to replace his clutch:D I haven't had any others though, the only oil leak I've had was early this week from the damn OEM oil cooler lines:mad: but I had Chrysler pay for me another set:D

Nice, finally a good story from a dealer. Thats customer service!

How hard is it to change the seal?

If you are talking about the rear seal its a piece of cake. I'd recommend you lift the rear of the truck up slightly or you'll get a few ounces of oil spill out the tail section. Hardest part is getting the new seal started straight. I used a flat board.

You might want to simply pull your Yoke and wet sand it first. When mine started to seep thats what I did. Lasted a good 30K miles or so and started to seep again. That time I replaced the seal and again resanded the yoke.

Seal codes: UHO450E or UHO456E

If you are talking about the rear seal its a piece of cake. I'd recommend you lift the rear of the truck up slightly or you'll get a few ounces of oil spill out the tail section. Hardest part is getting the new seal started straight. I used a flat board.

You might want to simply pull your Yoke and wet sand it first. When mine started to seep thats what I did. Lasted a good 30K miles or so and started to seep again. That time I replaced the seal and again resanded the yoke.

Seal codes: UHO450E or UHO456E

You must be speaking of the transmission seal! We were talking about the engine seal. Part # 05037300AA

I'm gonna try to track it down this weekend and see where it is leaking. Hopefully it is the oem oil lines.

Looks like it is coming from the drain plug! Hope that is it cuz it can't be any easier of a fix than that!:rock:

Looks like it is coming from the drain plug! Hope that is it cuz it can't be any easier of a fix than that!:rock:

Stop by your local Chevrolet dealership and pick up this sealing washer...14090908 I've been using it for years not only on my SRT but all my bikes and anything else that needs/fits a sealing reusable washer. Mine has probably 15 oil changes with same washer....still in perfect condition.

Stop by your local Chevrolet dealership and pick up this sealing washer...14090908 I've been using it for years not only on my SRT but all my bikes and anything else that needs/fits a sealing reusable washer. Mine has probably 15 oil changes with same washer....still in perfect condition.

Cool thanks, I'll check into that.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back