Repainting my truck

04SRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys I have a red RC. The paint is a little faded not terrible. Still looks good for a 04. I was thinking about repainting her. I landed on a dark cherry burgandy or just BLACK. Everything black. Im still not sure, anyone have any pictures of nice custom colors? Also will a color change hurt resale value? And will I have to notify the DMV?

it would have to be a "TOTAL" color change. any red left behind will stick out like a sore thumb, imvho

Im with every1 else leave it red... maybe put some stripes on.... doesn't the vin tell the original color??

yes, you will have to pull the bed and everything else to do a full color change.

thats why I didnt go down that road.

If you was going to spend the money to change colors just leave it red and do a custom wet paint job. Spray extra coat of red and wet sand then extra coat of clear and wet sand then buff. People won't even get close thinking it's still wet lol!! My dad wins best paint every where one if his cars or trucks go. Used to anyway when he painted. He would win with solid colors! Don't let anyone tell you that's not needed as they have probably never sprayed a true custom paint job.

The paints today are a base clear system. If you sanded the red before you cleared it, you'd have a shiny red paint job that you could see the sand scratches in. :dontknow: The best way to do it.....and I have done national award winning show cars, not local parking lot ones, is to shoot three coats of clear, pull it out of the booth when dry and let it sit two or three days, wetsand it completely smooth ( no orange peel or texture, there IS a difference! ) and re shoot it with two more coats of clear. Let that dry a week or so and repeat the sanding process, finishing up with 1500 or 2000 grit and buff it out. A reputable shop should be able to do it for about $10K inside and out. :)

Deliveredtailgatereflection.jpg

Notice in the reflection there is zero distortion of the image of the 71 Cuda? THAT is a slick paint job.

Picture099.jpg

This is the feature article in a truck magazine that truck got it's first show out.

beautiful paint for sure:rock::rock::rock:

is there a type of paint and/or paint job with that quailty that is best for a DD???:dontknow:

I'd love to do it, but getting it to Little Rock Arkansas might be a bit of a challenge! :dontknow:

I have used PPG DBC basecoats and PPG Concept 2002 Urethane Clears on just about everything I shoot. No issues on drivers out of the ordinary. It's pretty damned tough once it's cured.

The paints today are a base clear system. If you sanded the red before you cleared it, you'd have a shiny red paint job that you could see the sand scratches in. :dontknow: The best way to do it.....and I have done national award winning show cars, not local parking lot ones, is to shoot three coats of clear, pull it out of the booth when dry and let it sit two or three days, wetsand it completely smooth ( no orange peel or texture, there IS a difference! ) and re shoot it with two more coats of clear. Let that dry a week or so and repeat the sanding process, finishing up with 1500 or 2000 grit and buff it out. A reputable shop should be able to do it for about $10K inside and out. :)

Deliveredtailgatereflection.jpg

Notice in the reflection there is zero distortion of the image of the 71 Cuda? THAT is a slick paint job.

Picture099.jpg

This is the feature article in a truck magazine that truck got it's first show out.

Beautiful truck and congrats on the magazine coverage. I do things a lil different with my custom paint and airbrushing. Rarely do I EVER colorsand and buff a finished job as it tends to never be as ultimately glossy as it does with the original untouched clear. The key is to be a badarse painter/prepper that can lay it down without the need for colorsanding. If for some reason I needed to, it would be with minimum of 2000 grit, and more than likely 3000! I consider it an art to be able to lay it down like GLASS without extra time spent on colorsanding and buffing.:D:burnout:
68' camaro racing stripes1.JPG

68' camarostripes2.jpg

68' camarostripes3.jpg

1200sportster.JPG

realfire68camaro.jpg

realfire68camaro2.jpg

realfire68camaro4.jpg

Beautiful truck and congrats on the magazine coverage. I do things a lil different with my custom paint and airbrushing. Rarely do I EVER colorsand and buff a finished job as it tends to never be as ultimately glossy as it does with the original untouched clear. The key is to be a badarse painter/prepper that can lay it down without the need for colorsanding. If for some reason I needed to, it would be with minimum of 2000 grit, and more than likely 3000! I consider it an art to be able to lay it down like GLASS without extra time spent on colorsanding and buffing.:D:burnout:
View attachment 48618

View attachment 48619

View attachment 48620

View attachment 48621

View attachment 48622

View attachment 48623

View attachment 48624

Did anybody ask you? No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :chain: :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details