RHD with mods

Wannaute

Reaction score
Arabian Gulf or Tasmania depends on which day it i
Hi all,

My 05 CE arrived in Dubai a couple of weeks ago.

I need to own it overseas for 12 months before I can get it back into Australia without getting caned on import taxes.

I'll also need to get it converted from a left hand to a right hand drive.

The conversion to RHD isn't a problem as I have found a company who do fantastic work. Whilst its in pieces being converted, I'd also like to get some mods done. I'm thinking a supercharger and forged internals to begin with.

Which supercharger would you recommend and why? (Roe or Paxton)

Does anybody know if the Roe or Paxton blowers can be fitted to a RHD vehicle? (The steering column installation for RHD necessitates shifting everything off the firewall and moving it to the LH side.)

How far should I go with the forged internals? Do most SC installations run with the standard crank or a forged one?

Who is the best for forged parts?

Thanks in advance,

Wannaute

Most every Paxton set up I've seen goes on the right hand side...... You may be forced to go with the Roe anyway..... I'd say it's a safe bet that the steering on that side would make the blower installation on that side a bit of a squeeze...... But it's only an educated guess....

Maybe Kalani would know for sure........... Did he even have a Paxton?

D

Yeah I dont think the brake booster and master cylinder will fit with the paxton on the right side,,,I think the roe is your safest bet as far as clearance goes

The other option is to NOT fit a supercharger and just beef up the internals, transmission and maybe some head work and a Borla.

That way it can be driven harder without the increased risk of a BOOM! that seems to go hand in hand with the SC.

Any ideas?

up the compression and add strykers heads...I think in dubai you can get high octane fuel all day long for very little $$$

Dubai??? Been there...never wanna go back!!!!:D

Good luck on your rebuild!;)

congrats on the beast.
check the Exotic Engine Development link. they have some good info on the Stryker heads

Wannute I can get a real good deal on a set of strykers, BUT the rumor is they dont work well with the Roe, now whether that is true or not? I really dont know, I dont know of anyone myself that has tried that set up:dontknow:
but if ya interested let me know via pm, I have a ton of catching up to do sir:D

Wannaute said:
The other option is to NOT fit a supercharger and just beef up the internals, transmission and maybe some head work and a Borla.

That way it can be driven harder without the increased risk of a BOOM! that seems to go hand in hand with the SC.

Any ideas?

I think you are on the right track with this idea. ;)

wheredwhogo? said:
lived there for 4 years, that place rocks!!!!! are you serious....

I never got more than "3 beers" a day and it was a PITA to get out...probly just sucked because I was military...then again...which Dubai are talking about? I am talking about Qatar...:eek: :dontknow: :D

A few words of caution and in advance (below). Apart from that it's not too major in terms of movement of parts. Obviously the Interior job is huge in itself but in terms of mechanical swaps it's basically just the boaster and master slave cylinder, etc.

1) You'll run into header trouble on the RH side floor (lowered for the opedal assembly).
Custom or altering some aftermarket headers is the only way to get them to fit.

2) The master slave line will need to be lengthened during the RH conversion.
The shop will be able to do this for you, just hard to get a single line (no joins).

3) Supercharger should be fine, I can't see any issues with it.
Below is my engine bay in it's RHD configuration.

Cheers,
Carl

JMB_CAI_Catchcan1.jpg

FerrariTruck said:
dumb question...but why not just leave it LHD????
Not sure about Dubai but in New Zealand any car in the LHD configuration must be converted to RHD (as that is how we drive, same with Aussie and the UK, etc). There are 2 main rules which allows the vehicle to remain LHD. 1) It's older than 20 years at the time of it's VIN and first NZ Registration, ie: 1988 or older as of today. 2) You've owned the vehicle in the country of origin longer than 90 days and bring it home to keep. Apart from that it has to be converted to RHD. For me, I prefer RHD as that is what I'm use to, makes handling and driving on our roads more enjoyable. I have 2 LHD cars so either or is fine, just preference I guess. Lot of work to get my truck but it was WELL worth it.

:D :) ;)

The more I think about it, the more I think a head/cam/exhaust upgrade is the way to go (and cheaper).

I want the truck to be reliable, but I would prefer to have its insides beefed up without the SC fitted. Since the truck arrived I have discovered that it can't be driven subtly/sensibly/slowly but a SC may cause more headaches when it inevitably overstresses something.

I'm thinking more along the lines of an engine that's built to take more than its given, if you know what I mean...

I'm in touch with Eagle Automotive in NZ (they did Carls truck pictured above) as they seem to be the best people based on their previous work.

In Australia I can't get the truck registered LHD unless its older than 20 years. Period.

Thanks for the "heads up" on the headers Carl. I may need to wait until the conversion is done and get a custom set made up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back