road race

devildog02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need some help. I know there is some here that does some road racing, and i need some advice! I pass on the chace to race a Road America last summer, this year im going!! I need some advise on parts:( I don;t make crap for scratch!:mad: but I know i'll need some upgrades! Is there anything I can do for braking. I still want streetable! And i want to run the stock truck class! I have a 04 and the only mod was giving to me by Muzzie and Tiffany which is a K&N drop in!
Any help would be great!!!! I think it's an SCCA event, For anyone who doesnt know, Road America is a 4+ mile track and has 14 turns! I will be able to ride with other drivers befor i run. I just need some advice on brakes. Im all stock, tires and all!! TIA
Bill

make sure you have good brake pads but above all refill the brake fluid with a racing type ( higher boiling point ).

Also a 04... so you have as i do already some % water absorbed in the fluid over the years which causes the problem... lower boiling point and oeps... sponzy fading brakes within 1/2 hour racing ..:mad: :D

Now i have the racing brake fluid but must still do the refill...
My son let it do in his garage on his BMW for the race and it is alot better ....they surge the tank above and airpressure it with schocking pulses ? :dontknow: ? to drain the oil at the calipers ...but what i have seen now is that on calipers there only vents on top... no drains on bottom... So i'm afraid the way they do it there's always some old oil left in the calipers themselfs .... just were the oil is most heated .... :confused:

I must inform myself but i think to do the job real good we have to unscrew the calipers and hang them upside down , so the vents become drains and one can do a complete refill with the racing oil...

Check tire pressure and there you go :rock: :rock: good luck :rock: :rock:

Last edited:
Bill-

Brakes and tires are your two most important things to consider.

- New brake pads
http://www.zeckhausen.com/Dodge/Ram_SRT10.htm
$62 and well worth the investment. Your rears are probably okay as they only handle a small amount of the braking during daily driving. Check your rear pads after racing though.

- New brake fluid
Like Barry suggested, get some of the good stuff. A fluid swap of the brake lines is pretty easy (but kinda messy). I think our trucks take about 3 pints, and pints of the good stuff can be anywhere from $15 to $30 ea. JEGS and Summit have good brake fluid. Zeckhausen may be able to recommend something too. Avoid Autozone or PepBoys.

- Brake Bleeding
While I'm sure Karen has great leg strength (LOL), you'll probably want a big burly guy to help you with the brake bleeding. The more pressure applied, the better. You want a VERY firm brake pedal.
After racing, it may be a bit softer....and okay for daily driving.

- Tires
The stock Pirelli's ***LOVE*** road courses!!! That's what they were designed for. Make sure you have good tread depth (not worn too much), and check the tire pressure as many times as you can.

- Helmet
Both JEGS and Summit have good deals on high quality helmets. If you want to buy locally, cruise by a local motorcycle shop. At the very least, you can find out what size you need. :) You should be able to get a decent one for under $200.

- Video training
Cruise over to YouTube and look up "F1 Racing" or "Formula 1 Racing". Watch carefully how the guys (and that hottie Danica) setup and take turns, how they shift, and how they brake. Different drivers have different styles, but that should get you an idea for some of the basics.

And be sure to take a video camera!!!
:D

Road racing is A BLAST!! I've done it several times at different tracks with my truck. If you really enjoy it get into NASA racing, HPDE (high performance driving). Heres a link to the midwest where you would likely participate:

http://www.nasamidwest.com/

Thanks for all the help!!!:rock: I have a helmet, and I can use a friends transponder, plus ride with him and some of his friends. I'm going to have him ride with me and then I'll ride with him driving my truck. Kevan I know you are good with camera's, and set ups for driving. Is there anyway I could rent a user friendly setup from you? This is next August so plenty of time to get myself prepaired!!:rock: The cool news is they have a Stock Truck class!! Might win a plaque or something. It would be cool to have the VTCOA banner at the event. Just a thought:dontknow: One last thing, Kevan do you think I should get the rotors also? I'm not sure if that would knock me out of the stock truck class:dontknow: Thanks again for the words of wisdom!! I think stinkers braided lines would help also!!!:rock:

If it's a sanctioned SCCA event, you will have to meet their regulations, check their website.If it is a SCCA race day you will have to meet the safety regulations which are a full roll cage, five point harness, SA2000 helmet, fire suit etc.

I was in SCCA for years and was the Divisional Tech Administrator for the Southwest Division of SCCA. Later I was a Steward. I have organized and held many road course events. You won't be able to run Road America without safety equipment. I don't think SCCA has a class that the truck will fit into. You need to give them a call. They are in Denver Co. The one thing that you can do is Autocross, Slolam or Solo racing, usually on a parking lot or skid pad with a course set up with cones. SCCA and NASA as well as other road racing clubs have a lot of these events. They are fun and a real challenge. Don't under estimate this it requires alot of driving skill. You race against the clock so there's no chance of hitting another vehicle. You also won't push your truck to a breaking point. Usually one on the course at a time. Even though the speed isn't there you can still get up to 75mph depending on the course. Its not expensive and usually one day events. If this event your talking about in Wisconsin is an open track day for all cars usually they only require a current Snell approved helmet and the factory seat belts as minimun. They will have resrictions on top speed, passing and run in groups related to HP. These track days can be a lot of fun and there is minimal preparation needed. You could change the brake fluid and pads but it really isn't necessary. Tire pressure is the most important factor. Some of the experianced competitors can help you with that. They won't allow you to run that fast. They have drivers meetings prior to any track time. They will have corner workers on the flags and Stewards in the Tower and ALL cars will be monitored for misconduct. It is a lot of fun. However if you really want a challenge try the Autocross, Slolam or Solo you won't regret it and your truck will get a lot of attention. You might even see another one at the same event. I would try one of these before trying a full size road course. I've seen a lot of expensive cars like Ferrari, Porche and Corvettes badly damaged and of couse no insurance.
I had a friend when I was in the Corvette Club that had a Mint 67 Big Block and tried to take it after he wrecked it at an Autocross at Sears Point (Infinion Raceway) in California out to the highway and dump it saying it had been stolen. The only problem was the local paper did an article at the event and had a picture of the car in the local paper. His insurance saw the article and he lost his car, home and business policies and couldn't find insurance for several years. He rebuilt the car back to concour condtion had a house fire and lost the car again. He said the fraud was the worst mistake he ever made and is still saddled with this on his record. An Autocross can be on a major road course and still have problems. Good luck on whatever you decide to do. I've been there and have had lot of Top Time of Day trophies for over all fastest at the event thru the years.

devildog02 said:
Thanks for all the help!!!:rock: I have a helmet, and I can use a friends transponder, plus ride with him and some of his friends. I'm going to have him ride with me and then I'll ride with him driving my truck. Kevan I know you are good with camera's, and set ups for driving. Is there anyway I could rent a user friendly setup from you? This is next August so plenty of time to get myself prepaired!!:rock: The cool news is they have a Stock Truck class!! Might win a plaque or something. It would be cool to have the VTCOA banner at the event. Just a thought:dontknow: One last thing, Kevan do you think I should get the rotors also? I'm not sure if that would knock me out of the stock truck class:dontknow: Thanks again for the words of wisdom!! I think stinkers braided lines would help also!!!:rock:
Sure, Bill.
I can either build one for ya, or loan you my current setup. No problem.

I don't think new rotors will be necessary, but they certainly won't hurt. :D

BCsrt10 said:
If it's a sanctioned SCCA event, you will have to meet their regulations, check their website.If it is a SCCA race day you will have to meet the safety regulations which are a full roll cage, five point harness, SA2000 helmet, fire suit etc.
thanks for the info!!!! my friend said you need a snell 95 or better, but he has not competed @ ROA in 2 years!! Guess i need a helmet! I'll run this info by him tomorrow. he told me his friends will have extra's. But he did say "snell 95" so it sounds like I will need somthing better!! Thanks!!:rock:

099 FEVER said:
I was in SCCA for years and was the Divisional Tech Administrator for the Southwest Division of SCCA. Later I was a Steward. I have organized and held many road course events. You won't be able to run Road America without safety equipment. I don't think SCCA has a class that the truck will fit into. You need to give them a call. They are in Denver Co. The one thing that you can do is Autocross, Slolam or Solo racing, usually on a parking lot or skid pad with a course set up with cones. SCCA and NASA as well as other road racing clubs have a lot of these events. They are fun and a real challenge. Don't under estimate this it requires alot of driving skill. You race against the clock so there's no chance of hitting another vehicle. You also won't push your truck to a breaking point. Usually one on the course at a time. Even though the speed isn't there you can still get up to 75mph depending on the course. Its not expensive and usually one day events. If this event your talking about in Wisconsin is an open track day for all cars usually they only require a current Snell approved helmet and the factory seat belts as minimun. They will have resrictions on top speed, passing and run in groups related to HP. These track days can be a lot of fun and there is minimal preparation needed. You could change the brake fluid and pads but it really isn't necessary. Tire pressure is the most important factor. Some of the experianced competitors can help you with that. They won't allow you to run that fast. They have drivers meetings prior to any track time. They will have corner workers on the flags and Stewards in the Tower and ALL cars will be monitored for misconduct. It is a lot of fun. However if you really want a challenge try the Autocross, Slolam or Solo you won't regret it and your truck will get a lot of attention. You might even see another one at the same event. I would try one of these before trying a full size road course. I've seen a lot of expensive cars like Ferrari, Porche and Corvettes badly damaged and of couse no insurance.
I had a friend when I was in the Corvette Club that had a Mint 67 Big Block and tried to take it after he wrecked it at an Autocross at Sears Point (Infinion Raceway) in California out to the highway and dump it saying it had been stolen. The only problem was the local paper did an article at the event and had a picture of the car in the local paper. His insurance saw the article and he lost his car, home and business policies and couldn't find insurance for several years. He rebuilt the car back to concour condtion had a house fire and lost the car again. He said the fraud was the worst mistake he ever made and is still saddled with this on his record. An Autocross can be on a major road course and still have problems. Good luck on whatever you decide to do. I've been there and have had lot of Top Time of Day trophies for over all fastest at the event thru the years.
As of now all I know is, it is a SCCA event, (I'll talk to him tomorrow to find out for sure) he said it is a 3 day deal, fri, sat, sun, Saturday is time trials, and I don't have to run all 3 days. Or even the time trials on sat. He said I can ride with instructors, himself, and friends. Likewise he can ride with me.
He also said they have a max time for a lap, somthing along the line of if you run under 3 min. You have to have a cage, fire suit, and a window net. That was 2 years ago, from what i gather:dontknow: He also said that they run "groups" one through five. He recomended group 5 and at the start let everone by. He said I could somewhat choose which one to be in. He said i could take a passenger so long as it was not on the time trial day.
As for insurance stuff, I think if i pay enough, "WHICH I DO" that a one time track experience would be justified. I will consalt with my insurance company first! I would like to stress, that i would like to know what our trucks are capable of "in a controled enviroment" well somwhat controlled. Maybe I will invite them:dontknow: I guess in my original post I got a little happy with the plaque thing. I just want to push my driving skill's a little. I WILL NOT JEPRODIZE MY TRUCK FOR ANYTHING!!!!
I'll get back tomorrow night with more track info! I might ask for a phone number as this progresses, If you would be willing. Thanks for all the info!!!! and please if you think of anything more, or if you can make it to this event PLEASE DO!!!
Thanks!
-Bill

Kevan said:
Sure, Bill.
I can either build one for ya, or loan you my current setup. No problem.

I don't think new rotors will be necessary, but they certainly won't hurt. :D
This will be more for the "fun factor"! what kinda of camera is it set up for? We just have a cheap digital here that is not capible! So we would have to buy one. What you recomend? Money is always tight:eek:
I'll post up tomorrow night with more info. Thankfully it is a long-wase out! Aug.
As of now, I'm going to do Front pads and a Fluid change. I will also try to save enough for a clutch upgrade. It is only 3 hrs from here but I think ill through it on a trailer just incase. Sounds like the stock clutches are junk!
Do you know if the 04's have brake ducting, for cooling?
Thanks again for all your help!!!:rock:

I wouldn't talk with your insurance company untill you have all the details of the event. I know that coverage in any speed contest is addressed in the small print of your policy. The event sounds cool. I wish I was closer cause RA is such a neet track. I was listening to a discussion on a new video camera that is about the size of an iPod. They said it has great quality and only about 3 buttons to operate and all for about 100 bucks. This is small enough you may be able to use Velcro to mount it. SCCA should have info on the mounting requirements. Someone on the forum may know more about these small cameras. I'll pm my number if you want me to.

Another thought. Check the schedule for the SRT Experiance. It is conducted by a professinal driving school for Chrysler. I would take advantage of this and attend one before you go to RA. I've been to one and the cover all the performance areas. You get to drive all Mopar's SRT vehicles
except the truck and push them to a limit. They will probaly tell you why the truck was taken out when it was still in production. It was for a good reason. Some of the guys on this forum have gone and might post there experiance. Check under search in this forum for posts "SRT Experiance".

Bill- with my current camera rig, you could borrow the whole thing: mount, camera, etc. It's pretty simple. Takes DV tapes.

I'm looking at a couple of different suction-cup mounts. I may have one by the time you get on the course.

There are some very slick solid state cameras out there now that record directly to RAM/memory cards. Most though, are pretty poor quality and have very limited recording time. The video might look good on a 2" monitor, but when you bring it to the computer it's pixelated and crappy. Forget about doing it on a TV or anything running HD.
The good RAM cameras are in the multi-thousand dollar range.

Your 04 has brake cooling ducts.

FEVER-
While the SRT Track Experience is fun as hell, they don't let you drive YOUR vehicle for it. And with the trucks no longer in production, they're not at the events anymore. Still a blast to go drive the Viper though. :)

I think what Bill is looking for is doing something with his truck, personally.

I agree. I was suggesting the alternatives for seat time (experiance) in someone else's vehicle before attempting to run on a full blown course and quickly getting into trouble. It's 5200 lbs of horsepower and not forgiving. It doesn't take horsepower to go fast on a track day, it takes smooth driving and staying in the line.They will probably have some offset gates with cones or a shicane set up to slow the cars as needed in tricky places. Sometimes they use pace cars to keep the stragglers honest and from falling back then "race" speed to catch up. The Stewards know all the tricks and can use the black or red flags at anytime.

FEVER- I hear ya.
Practice with someone else's ride is always a good thing, even it's just to learn the course and how it's laid out.

I got somemore info. I was wrong! It is not a SCCA event, it is a SAAC event:eek: I do appoligize for my mistake!! I am still going to do it!! I'm very excited! My friend "Dave" said it is a northeast region SAAC or somthing like that.
Kevan I would like to use your setup, It worked great on youtube!!! Dave said you can use a camera but it has to be secure, so i'm not sure about suction cups. Maybe i could do some track testing for the new desigh?:dontknow: I am stoked about this!! I can push the truck in a controlled enviroment!:rock: I dont think i could sleep at night using your setup without pay somthing!! Please let me rent it from you!! You spent alot of time getting it right!! Shipping and Handling+ Usage+ Editing? And a total cost replacement! You wont need to figure the shipping, I have paypal and can send you what ever is needed!! And if you would rather not do editing i can figure somthing out! I am very greatful for everything!! Thank you very much!!!:rock:
The way i see it now is i need- new brakes, new fluid. I'm not sure if i have to have a # on the truck or not? If i do! I know right where to go for that, and if the VTCOA is willing, I would love to buy a few extra with the VTCOA Logo!!!:rock: :rock:
If anyone can think of anything else please let me know!! Thanks again
-Bill

Bill- we can work out the camera rig stuff later. That'll be the easy part.

To get your truck prep'd, you should be under $200. New brake pads and fluid will be about $120-140.
Triple-check the condition of the tires. Tread depth, inside wall, outside wall. Really inspect them closely.

Also- pick up a digital tire pressure gauge. Craftsman has a nice one for about $20:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02823013000P
There are cheaper ones out there, but that one will last you about...oh...30 years. :)

It also helps to have a portable inflator, just in case you drop tire pressures a little too low.
I have this guy:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00911586000P
It's about $40, plus batteries. He works with my 19.2V C3 system batts.

There are good 12V (cigarette lighter) models out there too.
Here's a 12V cordless/rechargable one:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02875116000P

Put the inflator and gauge in a backpack or soft briefcase (or something similar), then store it securely behind the pass. seat.
You'll want it OUT of the truck when it comes race time.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back