roe blowing oil

hey guys, there is a fire less than 1/4 mile from my home so I am outta here for a while. I'll post a diagram asap.

I think I just have to sit back and watch this thread...both Sean Roe and Gary Virgin have worked on my truck with breathers off the valve covers...what is the difference between pressure coming out of a breather or coming out into a catch can that has a breather?

I guess I am once again confused.

Prof said:
I think I just have to sit back and watch this thread...both Sean Roe and Gary Virgin have worked on my truck with breathers off the valve covers...what is the difference between pressure coming out of a breather or coming out into a catch can that has a breather?

I guess I am once again confused.

Me too!!:confused:

Mike. hope you, family and your belongings are OK!

ive got boomer's valve covers with breathers and havent had any problems with the dipstick.

Our trucks dont have PCV valves, in fact no viper engine has had a PCV valve since the Gen 1's. They simply have breather ports on the valve covers.

The factory setup only pulls a vacuum on one side of the motor (drivers side valve cover to bottom of intake manifold) and the other is open to atmosphere (passengers side valve cover to airbox), so it probably pulls very little if any vacuum in the crankcase.

If you decide to run a catch can in the factory loop, then make sure and put a check valve as Mike stated, so that boost pressure fro the intake manifold isnt pressurizing the crankcase. A LS1 style vacuum pump as mentioned earlier (electric) would be a much better setup however if you feel it is necessary to pull a vacuum on the crankcase. Ive had excellent luck with open breathers (on top of my catch cans), as has EED with their catch can setup, Boomer with his valve covers, and Roe with their oil cap breathers.

Justin

the purpose of the catch can is to catch oil vapors between the breather and the intake manifold vacuum. if you have crankcase pressure and have smoke blowing out of your breathers, then the catch can is not going to help that problem.

I would grab that vacuum hose that runs to the driver's side breather and install the catch can in that path.

basically, hose from underside of throttle body to intake manifold goes to catch can with a check valve so that boost does not blow into the can. then hose #2 from breather on driver's side to catch can. no check valve on this side, as it should always have a small suction sucking oil vapors out of the breather, through the can, and back to the intake.

The pass side breather can be left alone, unless you're finding oil inside your intake piping. if you're boosted and haven't hooked up the breather hose to the low pressure side of your blower, then You could put a 2nd catch can between the breather and the low pressure side of your intake. under full throttle, you'll get suction and prevent pressure in the crank case, and oil leaks, dipsticks popping out, etc.

Sorry, I guess I am just dense. Justin's comments seem logical, but Mike, I think that you need to post the diagram you mentioned...it is very hard for me to follow what you are saying. You seem to mix philosophy with application and I just get more confused the more I read your last post.

You know that Mike (nowwhat) had this problem also and he has a Paxton.
He blew the whole dip-stick out of it's carrier. They tied his down :nurse:

Quick

Any word from Mike? I'd like to see the diagram he mentioned he would be posting.

Quote:the purpose of the catch can is to catch oil vapors between the breather and the intake manifold vacuum. if you have crankcase pressure and have smoke blowing out of your breathers, then the catch can is not going to help that problem.

I would grab that vacuum hose that runs to the driver's side breather and install the catch can in that path.

basically, hose from underside of throttle body to intake manifold goes to catch can with a check valve so that boost does not blow into the can. then hose #2 from breather on driver's side to catch can. no check valve on this side, as it should always have a small suction sucking oil vapors out of the breather, through the can, and back to the intake.

The pass side breather can be left alone, unless you're finding oil inside your intake piping. if you're boosted and haven't hooked up the breather hose to the low pressure side of your blower, then You could put a 2nd catch can between the breather and the low pressure side of your intake. under full throttle, you'll get suction and prevent pressure in the crank case, and oil leaks, dipsticks popping out, etc.

sorry, please forgive my drawing skills. for the supercharged guys, the blue hose needs to be on on the low pressure side of your intake so that it sees suction. basically, it needs to be right behind the air filter.

~mike~
catch-can.jpg

JMB Justin said:
A LS1 style vacuum pump as mentioned earlier (electric) would be a much better setup however if you feel it is necessary to pull a vacuum on the crankcase. Justin

i use it on all applications because i find it helps the rings seal a lot better. a friend of mine had a problem on his civic where he was getting a lot of blow by at no boost because he had low tention rings for high boost. he installed the vacuum pump and it stopped all blow-by issues. i put it on my truck with n/a and it helped quite a bit with compression. it raised it by .2. imo its worth the little money to do it, HOWEVER you MUST run a catch can in the line leading to it.

well... i'm using justin's catch can set-up, and routed the hoses as per his instuctions,plugged the opening on the bottom of the intake manifold and ran the hoses from each valve cover (td') into the can.:dontknow: whats wrong with this set-up?

SANCHOBA said:
well... i'm using justin's catch can set-up, and routed the hoses as per his instuctions,plugged the opening on the bottom of the intake manifold and ran the hoses from each valve cover (td') into the can.:dontknow: whats wrong with this set-up?
nothing at all. that is a great setup.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back