Roe vs Paxton: The real story :)

SRT-MIKE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This year's plan is 800-900rwhp.

I decided the best way to accomplish this would be to work on the top end. The Paxton would be more suitable for this instead of trying to force the Roe's fat torque curve into the higher ranges. Engine build mods will be as indicated in my sig.

The project is being done in two stages, the sense of guilt would kill me if I dropped all the $$ at once. Conventional wisdom would dictate the way to approach this project in two parts would be engine build first, forced induction second... but curiosity go the best of me. I had an opportunty to experience frst hand how the Roe and the Paxton pan out against each other and decided to go for it.

Unfortunately the build was completed one day too late to make the GTG, but there will always be another one. The flash by DC performance came in a bit too fat on the fuel and had to be sent back. Larry Macedo did a magnificent job, putting great attantion to detail and making sure everything was nothing short of perfect.

As I am not a fan of bling, I opted for the satin Paxton as opposed to the polished unit, the assembly looks like a factory setup, very clean and subdued while screaming business:

IMG_0978.jpg

All the Roe parts were professionally removed and cleaned, ready to ship to its new owner. Larry recommended the unit go through Roe for a quick lookover, inventory, and clean bill of health before going home to its new owner... unit was in perfect working condition, but it never hurts.

Driving the truck home after picking it up from the shop was a definite letdown, there was traffic and I never got the chance to open her up, but I did notice all my torque was gone. The truck felt like it was stock again. The suddent jolt-and-launch and wicked scream that came when stomping the pedal at 2000rpm were gone. Instead there was stock-like performance and a strange new whoosh when the wastegate occasionally opened just above idle, on acceleration the SC scream was replaced by the old viper exhaust thump.

I was having second thoughts about the swap, if it wasn't because I was commited to a full engine build, I would have been consumed by regret. So after going home, cleaning the truck, inspecting the assembly, taking pics, etc. I went to that quiet and nearly abandoned country road to search for that famous sweet spot.

As I ran back and forth a few times I began to realize I was dealing with a completely different animal and that looking at each supercharger from the perspective of the other was not doing either one justice. I was pleased to discover my truck was still a beast. Instead of the sudden torque surge from the Roe, the power delivery was linear and increased with RPM... Not a lag, like on many turbos, but in proportion to the rpm. So while the Paxton did not have the same bottom end punch, in the upper ranges the Roe appears to run out of wind while the Paxton gives the definite impression it has wind left to spare. With the Roe the punch is delivered at the bottom and by the time you get to 4-5k the adrenaline shock has made everything a blurr. With the Paxton the adrenaline is injected as you accelerate, kind of a like a rollercoaster starting its initial vertical drop.

Hard to tell which setup would win a race given the same driver and the same conditions, if traction was not a consideration the Roe would jump ahead right off the line and halfway through the Paxton would regain ground for a possible picture perfect finish, who knows. However while I always wondered which system would be better, I now realize it really is just like asking which tastes better, an apple or an orange.

As far as what is better for a given driving style, I also realize it is just as bad a question. There is a learning curve that comes with getting the best out of each system. Saying that one system is better for the street than the other is not a good statement either, one will learn to position himself in the appropiate rpm range for a given daily driving situation to get the best performance out of the equipemt.

The Roe was "love at first sight" as the gratification was instant, but as I drive the Paxton around town I'm learning to enjoy its finer attributes, smoothness, and seemingly unlimited horizon. As I get it wired I'm falling in love all over again.

I don't see how anyone could go wrong with either system... they are just so freaking badass...:burnout:

Last edited:
Nice description.

I hope to answer the ROE Torque/Traction question in about 12 weeks.

I see you got that wonderful part number stamping on top your chiller unit as well... though yours is not polished...

Nice setup. I plan the same build(with Roe).
Its good that you have experienced the best of both worlds.:D

Nice write up:rock: I think that Randy will enjoy the Roe just fine:D

Nicely constructed post...I am of the opinion that you are going in the right direction, and I doubt that even Sean Roe would disagree with your position and decisions.

Your commentary will be read by many over time...and it will be helpful to most of the readers.

What horse power did you dyno for both?
I have the paxton but wondered if i would like the Roe better.

Great Writeup!:rock:

If I could get passed the 'drilling a hole in my oil pan' thing, I'd have a Paxton on my Viper by now.

Great writeup,
I enjoyed your evaluation of both products!!:rock:

I'm glad everyone found the information valuable!
Thanks guys.

Peak hp on the Paxton was only 10hp above the Roe, but as you know those number don't really say a whole lot. I'll ask Larry to email the curves.

Great write-up. I really appreciate how you took an optimistic approach to both systems.

Halligan said:
Great write-up. I really appreciate how you took an optimistic approach to both systems.
Nice write up. I always thought a Roe would be good for a QC, pleny of power just for cruising.
Should help you decide. Looks like the weather is clearing up.

Maybe I should solve the problem and do both at the same time !!!!:rock:

Very good thread.Thanks for the info.I have been thinking about going forcedinduction for awhile and the way business is it may be a while longer before I can do anything.When I do this info will def.help in my decision on which one to go with.I love the look of the polished paxton,but for every day driving it sounds like the roe would probly be my best bet.Very jealous that you have had the chance to use both!

GILMO'S10 said:
Very good thread.Thanks for the info.I have been thinking about going forcedinduction for awhile and the way business is it may be a while longer before I can do anything.When I do this info will def.help in my decision on which one to go with.I love the look of the polished paxton,but for every day driving it sounds like the roe would probly be my best bet.Very jealous that you have had the chance to use both!

The change in performance is much more noticeable with the Roe, the low end is brutal. The Paxton boost is more subtle. On the same token, yesterday my son and I went to a quiet road where we have 1/4-mile markers to make a few timed runs, every one of them was better than the best run I ever had with the Roe. So perception can really be deceiving. As far as being able to break them loose at will, I really miss that top mount beast... But I believe a swap to 4.88's will take care of that :D

In any case, borrow, steal from your 401k, or even from your children's college fund, but it would be tragic to miss the experience of forced induction on the SRT-10 truck.
;)

SRT-MIKE said:
In any case, borrow, steal from your 401k, or even from your children's college fund, but it would be tragic to miss the experience of forced induction on the SRT-10 truck.
;)

good idea:D

imagine all that power with 2200 less pounds!

Back