Running rich...

BDR SRT-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that our trucks are programmed to run overly rich from the factory, as a safety precaution mostly I assume, but on a stock truck do some of them come out too rich really? How do you test for this accurately? Is there a way to lean out a stock truck a bit? Any benefits to this or is it even necessary unless you're heavily modded? Just curious and trying to learn a bit too...

BDR SRT-10 said:
I understand that our trucks are programmed to run overly rich from the factory, as a safety precaution mostly I assume, but on a stock truck do some of them come out too rich really? How do you test for this accurately? Is there a way to lean out a stock truck a bit? Any benefits to this or is it even necessary unless you're heavily modded? Just curious and trying to learn a bit too...

they are rich from the factory, the easiest way is to get the stock pcm flashed to correct the problem

only way to adjust fuel is piggyback or standalone. Yes, you will gain if done correctly. I would go to a reputable tuner if your not 100% sure whats going on :)

You can also lean it out by adding mods to help (WOT), so headers, heads, etc....but you NEED a wideband to monitor :)

-Red

BDR SRT-10 said:

Mine was 10.6:1 which was pretty fat, when it was stock.

I use a dyno when making changes to see what the air fuel is doing after the mod.

And, as stated by Stinker, a pcm flash will lean it out.
My truck also leaned out a bit with the catback and hi flow cats.

Benefits? Better throttle response and the potential for better mileage.

Ron

Last edited:
This is very true I dynoed my truck stock and it was rich as hell now with all my mods Im geting better MPG than before.

before my flash,there would be soot on my tailgate after a wide open sprint:D

Ok good info fella's... Thanx! So do I understand it that the flash will universally correct the richness somewhat, or do you have to specify to what A/F ratio you're trying to achieve? I'm still a little confused as to how the PCM flash works?
In other words, is the flash just a specific flash with set parameters more fine tuned than stock or can you customize a flash to your needs?

Wooo better mpg and more power????? finally getting somewhere with my past post ----Now waiting on the answer to #10 post----PCM may be in order really soon----I wish to thank BDR SRT10 for asking such a daring question THANK YOU

Nothing to add here really other than my wideband logs between 10.5-10.7, very rich indeed. I was considering the VEC III instead of a flash because of the nitrous, but I bet I could get a flash without the timing advance. :dontknow: Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out.

Will do... but I'm really just trying to gather info now and see what's best and what to expect...

No problem 05QCVIPER! :rock:

BDR SRT-10 said:
Ok good info fella's... Thanx! So do I understand it that the flash will universally correct the richness somewhat, or do you have to specify to what A/F ratio you're trying to achieve? I'm still a little confused as to how the PCM flash works?
In other words, is the flash just a specific flash with set parameters more fine tuned than stock or can you customize a flash to your needs?

Yes it is a moderate tune, much better than stock though. If you hade a dyno run with your a/f ratios, you could send it to one of the tuners who could then tune your PCM specifically for your truck. Even better, take the truck to the tuner!!

Mine right now under WOT w/all my mods... runs 10.0 flat (or less) it buries the guage at 10.0 at WOT... so I know (and can smell) it running waayyyyy to fat...

But I am going to DC in September when I am in the area for the sand sport super show to have them tune it for me... or at least optimize the fuel that is being poured out the tail pipes right now...

I was told by Boomer that I could remove a part or button from my FMU unit that would help lean it out... but I am not sure exactly what part he is talking about (as far as the guts go in the FMU), so I might just leave that messing around for DC to work with...

Scott.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back