Scoopin

Sinbad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scoop just came flying off while I was going down the track hahaha, no damage thank god. This ever happen to anybody else?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 118
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 180
Yep, you got lucky, most of the time it's found in multiple pieces

mine just had some I guess plastic nuts on little plastic bolts to the actual insert. They pretty much just broke off. Came around to get my time slip and the guy also handed me my scoop lol

Is it weird I kind of think it would look cool without that "bracket"

Maybe on to something here lads! ;) Won't be too hard to fabricate a nice black mesh insert to fit that extra hole size and BAM a new, larger and effective air intake/outlet.

On the trip home in my first 10 the scoop insert came flying out of mine. Nothing else damaged but the cost of the 2 piece insert is something like $345 unpainted. Does not hurt to check the brackets and nuts that hold the thing in place every once in a while. Most things on our trucks are well thought out and first rate but this insert is really cheap junk. :(

Hope you can make it work! It will look sweet!:rock:

Its just funny that this thread happened the same day I was under the hood doing some stuff and realized how much I didnt like the insert. Mine is held on different, with one-way metal retainers. Either way its coming off something is going in. Check out the "here she is" thread later on for pics.

Would it hurt anything to drive it in the rain like that, or washing it, or even just sitting in the rain? I feel like this could be a good way to really help cool the engine better.

Would it hurt anything to drive it in the rain like that, or washing it, or even just sitting in the rain? I feel like this could be a good way to really help cool the engine better.

No. Any water that got in there would just hit the hot motor and evaporate. Ever been through a car wash? If you have I can assure you that high pressure water, soap, and wax got in there. Since the scoop is designed to let heat out, I think the insert is nothing more than a blockage of hot, rising air. Removing it completely would be the way to go, but you dont wanna suck in dragonflys, birds, and small children into your engine bay going down the highway. So, the way to go will be a thin wire mesh, painted black.

Last edited:
Water and debris is fine, no danger at all. The only thing I can think of is at the top end speed these trucks can reach is "possible" hood failure or risking "hood lift off" from that extra air? I highly doubt it but that's the only "con" I can think of?

Water and debris is fine, no danger at all. The only thing I can think of is at the top end speed these trucks can reach is "possible" hood failure or risking "hood lift off" from that extra air? I highly doubt it but that's the only "con" I can think of?

Hood pins, problem solved. :D

Great idea and its been done ;-)
Mine doesn't have any screen and daily driven in rain, dirt roads, etc as well as highway speeds in Mexico up to 145 and has been fine. Water nor dust will affect anything other than a slightly dirty engine bay :)
Id like to think it runs a hair cooler and looks killer. This is on a venom hood but stock makes no difference :burnout:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back