slippen trany

fast fred

Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i think its time to upgrade my auto trany, it's started slippen real bad today ....i did a search and found a shift kit at transgo for our 48res but has some one here done the kit from them or some one tryed a better kit??...how munch should i expect to pay for a auto shift kit installed. i'm going thru the phone book now to try to get some priceing and some one to do the job?....i only have 21,650 miles on the truck .....o k 21,650 hard miles....thanks for the input....fast fred

Fred me and I think bone have done the kit in ours, its not too bad, dont know the cost of install I did mine myself.

BBBuuttt Fred , if ya slippin, a shift kit want fix that, it usually means your clutches are goin bad.

Now you can try this if ya want, install the shift kit, but also check the band adjustment, alot of them were out of adjustment from the factory and will cause premature failure.

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5392&highlight=transmission+band

hope this helps

How aggressive are your mods??? Methinks a dealer visit and free tranny is in order :dontknow:

Good luck...

aaaahhhhh Thanks Big Perm didnt think about that, forgot he should still be under waarrrraaaannnnnneeeeeeeeee!LOLOl

Is it "real" noticable slip?

what does it actually do?

thanks guys ...yea it slips when up shifting or down shifting ...not at all from a stop in 1st....real bad from 1st to 2nd and not to bad from 2nd to 3rd..and not at all in o d (4th)....i have D C perforance stage 2 upgrade..gibson headers... borla exhust... k&N in take..and boomers goodies lowering kit and lots of shinny stuff from boomer....what do you guys think???

to me it sounds like you may be able to adjust the bands and take care of it for awhile, but sooner or later it may give.

Like Perm says, I would shoot it by the dealer, if thats not an option, then try the bands and shift kit.

Tightning the bands is real easy, dont let it fool ya , its not that bad.

Have you had your bands adjusted? That took care of the tranny slipping problem for me.

my tranny was slippin also wasn't to bad but was starting engine light turned on also i toke it to the dealer and got it replaced under warranty

fast fred said:
I THINK I WILL PULL THE PCM AND TAKE IT TO THE DEALER AND SEE WHAT THEY DO.............

The manual says to get your bands adjusted every 15K miles. See if you can get them to do that for free as the probably don't realize it is recommend service.

you got it right put your OEM PCM in and take it to the dealership. you should not have any problems from there.

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5023&highlight=suncoast
here's my post on my install/

I have put a Transgo kit on my hemi now too. It wasn't slippin but the kit improved the shifting firmness.

Like they said adjust/replace the band, it could even be a spring in the valve body, hard to say. If possible, take it to the dealer and let them work it out. We do have a good tranny in our truck (old 727), but like anything has limits. (it's definitely stonger than my 545re in my hemi truck)

Our band isn't posted on their web site, but they do have it. Joe was creating a web link for our truck, partially completed now.

Suncoast has some rigid bands that aren't expensive
We have a fix for Chrysler 618 transmissions that tend to be prone to band strut failure. The OEM band struts, manufactured from steel by stamping are notorious for bending causing excessive band clearances that can potentially contribute to premature transmission failure. Our rigid band has reinforce apply ends and hi-energy lining.

Billet apply strut and steel anchor replaces factory strut and anchor that bends and breaks.

Rigid Intermediate band with Hi-Energy lining replaces OEM thin Flex Band with weak apply ends.

Suncoast also has authorized dealers of their products. They might have a dealer located near you to help you out if the dealer won't or can't. They had one 20 minutes from my location, but I drove down to see their shop first hand anyhow.

Also, westmintrans is on the forum too. I have no experience with them however.

Last edited:
well i never made it home from work,i went on the freeway by going from 1st to 3rd to 0 d and when i got off the freeway and stopped and the dammm thing just was slippin so bad the truck would not move at all.....so monday its going to the place where i got it. and see what they say...(i'm goimg to have it towed)

fast fred said:
well i never made it home from work,i went on the freeway by going from 1st to 3rd to 0 d and when i got off the freeway and stopped and the dammm thing just was slippin so bad the truck would not move at all.....so monday its going to the place where i got it. and see what they say...(i'm goimg to have it towed)

yep that is the band she is gonnnnneee....

Call Joe at Westminster Trans....714-898-0089....he will help....

earnhart dodge in mesa fixed my tranny in 3 days. it took the dealer here in valencia a month to fix it last time.

replaced 2nd gear band, torque converter, and pump.

i droped of my truck at the dealer today and the tec. checking in my truck sees the hitch on the back and says to me ...("you know youre not to tow eneything with this truck") i just looked at him and i said thats why it came from the factory with a tow set up....so you don't tow with it!:dontknow: hahahaha.....he said i should have it back in a few days....

fast fred said:
i droped of my truck at the dealer today and the tec. checking in my truck sees the hitch on the back and says to me ...("you know youre not to tow eneything with this truck") i just looked at him and i said thats why it came from the factory with a tow set up....so you don't tow with it!:dontknow: hahahaha.....he said i should have it back in a few days....

Scary....I wouldnt let that guy work on my truck LOL

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back