Some observations as a new owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WearyMicrobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought that I would post this in here as I am still a new owner. I was on the fence for a long time about getting a truck and here were my concerns and some comments on the truck that a prospective owner should keep in mind.

Fit & Finish.

Truck is much better then I expected, the only two American cars that I have owned built in the last 50 years have been this truck and several prowlers. This truck is pretty darn good, its not my BMW but its leaps better then some would lead you to believe. All the gaps are good, the paint is surprisingly straight and free of fish-eye and its bolted together pretty darn well. No suspension squeaks on mine and good tracking. The black paint on mine is very nice for a OEM job.

Drivetrain/suspension

The ride in definitely "sport truck" not "truck". Its much happier with 20+ gallons of gas in the tank and it can get a little bouncy when dry. The person who picked the brake pad material should be "SHOT". I mean that. If they all squeak like mine do, then, drawn and quartered for good measure.

Budget 110$ for the zimm pads, heck buy them before the truck shows up or your wife will tease you about the sound.

The tires seem to be fine but the sidewalls are a little thin. I cut a tire open on a pipe and started a autopsy. The spare tire works surprisingly well and is pretty easy to get on if you are not hopping mad. The mirror does not go down automatically, darn European cars are spoiling me.

The motor is just tits, great power, gear selection is great, idles fine, just enough rumble to get your attention. 6th is stretched way out but I don't care I get ~17 mpg on the freeway with crap Cali gas and a light foot. With my driving style ~325 mile per tank, the trip computer was accurate on mine for the first tank or two down to ~.1 mpg. You can spin the tires at will with correct gear selection. And the truck launches straight and trus but in a turn its all in the drivers hands.

Interior.

Stereo is very ood for a stock vehicle. I think better door speakers and some suffing in the sub will make it perfect.

The CD is finicky with scratched CD's but it holds up well even on the bumpy stuff.

The seats are great but I am thinner then most, if you are of larger girth I would not know but I think the side bolsters could put some pressure on your legs. Passenger seat rattles over big bumps, drivetrain noise is great for a stock truck, amazing for something with 22's.

I would love the truck to be ~150% louder and no change in tone or drone but I doubt it would pass the EPA regs on the exhaust.

Overall.

Love the truck, except for the brakes and the stupid wing. I have had that thing on and off about 6 times already and its annoying. I love the look of it and I am willing to deal with moving it on and off. Once I have the new pads on and seated I will work on building a quick release system for it.

The cleats in the back bed work well, no idea why ford or anybody else would use the little loops anymore. The cleats just work.

The 22's are a pain to keep clean, but I expect the new pads to take care of that.

Originally I planned on using the truck for a weekend/fun vehicle but after having it a while and getting a few things worked out I think I am going to drive it everyday and get rid of the BMW. I am much happier in the truck and all that power is intoxicating

Currently the mod budget is growing and I have a few things that I would like to do to personalize but nt to a extent that the truck becomes a full toy

Welcome:D

As for the brakes, this is common. There are several vendors who sell replacement pads which will correct the problem of squeak. Just wait for the brake dust if you don't upgrade.

There are also several options for an exhaust:rock: I have the B&B and love it! But there are other good ones that are not as pricey.

Enjoy
MN:burnout:

Your assimilation is now complete....your credit card will be added to the collective to fasilitate ordering mods your truck will demand....go ahead and answer that credit card invitation...you will need it............and yea, great write up..:congrats:

I have had my truck almost 3 years and put on 32000 miles (now has 44000 total) I drive it pretty hard and have NO PROBLEMS with it that weren't my own fault. Actually one of the best vehicles that I have ever owned.

SPACEMONKEY1 said:
Get Stinkers oil cooler lines. I love my truck!!! And good write up!

They are oin the list.

So far I have ordered or dcone.

Debadege sides back.
K&N filter
PowerSticks (well similar)
Tires
Zim Brakes
Tint Window's.

Waiting on
Tint rims black.
honeycomb.
Oil lines
Polish intake.

Great writeup:congrats:
I find that the longer I own it,The harder it is not to drive it:dontknow:

You are just scratching the surface with you already choosen mods....Just give Stinker your CC number and the OK to get it all going at once...;)

Nice write up, indeed.....

However, I do disagree wth your assessment of the Pirelli P Zeros.

D

Django said:
Nice write up, indeed.....

However, I do disagree wth your assessment of the Pirelli P Zeros.

D

I wonder if its because I am used to the Porsche spec stuff. I used to go through them like water at the track but never had any issue with tearing or what looks like age degeneration on the edge of the sidewall. There have been a few complaints about bubbling on the bead and sidewall as well.

22's are a first as well, it could just be that they make them as compliant as possible in a 40 series.

WearyMicrobe said:
I wonder if its because I am used to the Porsche spec stuff. I used to go through them like water at the track but never had any issue with tearing or what looks like age degeneration on the edge of the sidewall. There have been a few complaints about bubbling on the bead and sidewall as well.

22's are a first as well, it could just be that they make them as compliant as possible in a 40 series.

The issue has allways been one of handling, specifically bumpsteer. Many of the guys including myself have felt that the steering and suspension geometry were very tenuous with the P90.

The problem could possibly be with the fact that many of us did fiddle with an already precarious formula when we lowered our trucks. The problem just became unbearable...at least for me. It was most noticeable at speeds over 50 on twisty roads with uneven asphalt. The slightest bumb in the middle of a curve could send you pitching outside quite profoundly. It was very unnerving...

Some of the guys went to the UHP Grabber which seemed to resolve 60-70% of the problem. But still did not eliminate bumpsteer altogether. The P90's just seemed to exacerbate (as I said) an already tenuous situation.

D

WearyMicrobe said:

The issue has always been one of handling, specifically bumpsteer. Many of the guys including myself have felt that the steering and suspension geometry were very tenuous with the P90.

The problem could possibly be with the fact that many of us did fiddle with what seems to be an already dicey formula when we lowered our trucks. The problem just became unbearable...at least for me. It was most noticeable at speeds over 50 on twisty roads with uneven asphalt. The slightest bump in the middle of a curve could send you pitching outside quite profoundly. It was very unnerving...

Some of the guys went to the UHP Grabber which seemed to resolve 60-70% of the problem. But still did not eliminate bumpsteer altogether. The P90's just seemed to exacerbate (as I said) an already tenuous situation.

D

Had mine a little over 2 months....brakes squeak all the time and are very dusty....tires are a little thin, I busted mine open on a crappy little curb making a u-turn, spare does go on fast........and if you own a QC get a tranny upgrade or at least install the GM solenoid ASAP...and the stock radio sucks, mine always makes a click then hi pitch sounds once in a while.....engine is awesome and the truck looks like it means business! The only thing you forgot is no AUTO LIGHTS

Django said:

D

Any chance its major movement in the rear axle. I mean the rear caltracs help with launch, it just take a a few degrees of shift to get a kind of bumpsteer in the rear.

The reason I ask is I am used to 4 links that don't do this, well not in the way I am getting in the truck. It shifts rear mainly in the back.

FATJACK said:
I have had my truck almost 3 years and put on 32000 miles (now has 44000 total) I drive it pretty hard and have NO PROBLEMS with it that weren't my own fault. Actually one of the best vehicles that I have ever owned.
same boat here....with about 65k....and counting....damn thing's never been in the shop!!!!!!!...what more could you ask for....:rock: :rock: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back