Spark Plug Data and Experience Requested…Not looking for a, "Which is Better" Debate.

Skyydiver

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I have done the research and read post after post after post on this forum. Many of them are older (back from 2006), so while I hate to bring up what could possibly be construed as a "sore subject", I was hoping for some updated information. Many of you have been running aftermarket plugs (anything other then OEM Champion plugs) for many many months now. So I am curious to see what your results/findings are after having done such a long testing phase. Maybe this post will bring about enough information and data that it could possibly become a sticky.

Here is the criteria…I am mainly looking for information on the plugs that N/A trucks are using...although, FI guys and gals, please feel free to chime in with your experiences (this will be good information for all). This post is not meant to be a debate on what plugs are better/best. All I am looking for is factual information based on your own personal experiences. Again, I beg that you please do not hijack the thread into a plug debate.

I am especially interested in the following plugs:

-Stock Champions
-Bosch Platinum 4's
-Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion
-NGK Iridium's

1) Is your vehicle N/A, FI, or Nitrous?
a) If FI or Nitrous, are you using a colder plug?

2) What brand/type of plugs are you currently using?

3) How many miles have you put on your current plugs?

4) Have you checked the plugs since you first installed them?
a) If yes, how many miles between initial installation and checking them?
b) When you pulled the plugs, how did they look? (i.e.…fouled / appropriate for the given application….)

5) If you used anything other then the stock Champions:
a) Did you notice a performance difference (i.e.…improved throttle response / improved acceleration / improved gas mileage…or just the opposite, any decreased performance)?
b) Did you go back to stock Champion plugs after using a different brand of plugs? If so, why?
c) Would you (and are you) going to stay with your current choice of plugs or do you plan on going back to stock Champion plugs? If planning on going back to stock, why?
d) Do you feel your choice of plugs is a better alternative to the stock Champion plugs? If yes, please expound. If No, again, please expound

6) What is the part # of the plug you are using? (again, please note if this is a stock temp plug or one step colder plug)

7) Any other experiences and/or comments that you would like to share (in regards to spark plugs and ignition…Ha! …that could be a loaded comment there with this group!)

Thanks for all your input and experiences.

Joe

jeeez i hate writing essays!:D BTW i'm still with the stock plugs.

Man, I'd love to see the results of this, but you need to make an excel spreadsheet or something, that's way too much crap to write in a post.

Make a spreadsheet, post it up so people can click on it, and then they can fill it out like a form if they have a free 45 minutes :)

Has anyone had to deal with a bad spark plug wire yet? I can see #9 wire arcing in the dark, engine misses and now the check light shows misfire #9. This started as soon as I touched the wires the first time, installing Bassani headers. There are no physical marks or anything I can see,but the coil and wire location is super stupid. R and R the intake to access the wires?. Has anyone moved the coil pack to a logical position, instead of cooking the coil pack to death. O. E. plugs were Chumpions, looked worn at 11k, tried Platium + 4's, lasted 200 miles, now back to Champions and miss is a wire. MSD makes a wire set, I'll go to them next (work on my motorhome). Servicability is not very nice on this setup. I bought this to be a tow vehicle, has worked OK for the first season, but heat buildup from the exhaust seems like it will cook everything. The one tow I got showed the headers picking up 1+ mpg, and it was smoother, but now this. Oh well, no pain, no gain.........Gemini John

R and R the intake to access the wires?.
there are some on here that say they can replace the wires without removing the manifold. i think STINKER is one of them....or maybe the only one.LOL

SANCHOBA said:
there are some on here that say they can replace the wires without removing the manifold. i think STINKER is one of them....or maybe the only one.LOL
please show me how- i just got my wires from gary and then i saw what was required- does not look fun-- who has done this?

Okay...let me see if I can put together a spreadsheet...it's not like you guys have anything better to do anyways then sit on here and respond to posts! I know...ever since I became a member of this d@mn forum, that is all I freaking do. I have not bathed in two weeks now, work is calling me and my girlfriend left me (thank God for the small favors in life!) :D

Last edited:
I ordered the factory 2005 workshop manual 2 months ago from Mopar tech services, but they never had it printed. I re-ordered it today, but they say another 3 or 4 weeks. I don't want the DVD version, way too hard to navigate. I work on vehicles for a living, just hate data on discs. I think the intake must come off, and I'll be looking to move the coils to cooler ground when I'm in there. Thanks for the inputs all,really helpful.......Gemini John

Last edited:
I think this is your first legitimate response.

Skyydiver said:

N/A, using one step colder plug to stop pinging with advanced timing.

NGK Iridium IX, BKR7EIX-11, stock number 6988

800-1000

b) When you pulled the plugs, how did they look? (i.e.…fouled / appropriate for the given application….)

No

a) Did you notice a performance difference (i.e.…improved throttle response / improved acceleration / improved gas mileage…or just the opposite, any decreased performance)? No effects one way or the other just not pinging now. Everything running just like with stock plugs.
b) Did you go back to stock Champion plugs after using a different brand of plugs? If so, why?
c) Would you (and are you) going to stay with your current choice of plugs or do you plan on going back to stock Champion plugs? If planning on going back to stock, why? Staying with the NGK's.
d) Do you feel your choice of plugs is a better alternative to the stock Champion plugs? If yes, please expound. If No, again, please expound
Uhmm, yes.....no more pinging.

6) What is the part # of the plug you are using? (again, please note if this is a stock temp plug or one step colder plug)
NGK 6988. One step colder than stock.

7) Any other experiences and/or comments that you would like to share (in regards to spark plugs and ignition…Ha! …that could be a loaded comment there with this group!)
No comment. I'm standing on the fifth. Speak with my lawyer.

Joe

Skyydiver said:
Okay, so I have done the research and read post after post after post on this forum. Many of them are older (back from 2006), so while I hate to bring up what could possibly be construed as a "sore subject", I was hoping for some updated information. Many of you have been running aftermarket plugs (anything other then OEM Champion plugs) for many many months now. So I am curious to see what your results/findings are after having done such a long testing phase. Maybe this post will bring about enough information and data that it could possibly become a sticky.

Here is the criteria…I am mainly looking for information on the plugs that N/A trucks are using...although, FI guys and gals, please feel free to chime in with your experiences (this will be good information for all). This post is not meant to be a debate on what plugs are better/best. All I am looking for is factual information based on your own personal experiences. Again, I beg that you please do not hijack the thread into a plug debate.

I am especially interested in the following plugs:

-Stock Champions
-Bosch Platinum 4's
-Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion
-NGK Iridium's

a) Did you notice a performance difference (i.e.…improved throttle response / improved acceleration / improved gas mileage…or just the opposite, any decreased performance)?
c) Would you (and are you) going to stay with your current choice of plugs or do you plan on going back to stock Champion plugs? If planning on going back to stock, why?

Joe
1- Normally aspirated
2- Champion
3- Less than 300
4- No but ones pulled last weekend/NGKs looked normal as did the previous set of Champion OEMs.
5- a - Tried NGKs....saw no performance difference but made no trips to the track with them.
b - Yes -- Champions had a longer internal electrode than the NGKs resulting in the spark being deeper into the combustion chamber and additional mass/slight increase in compression
c - I'm going to stay with Champion OEM plugs
d - n/a
6 - I'm using Champion RC12ECC OEM plugs. Had previously gone to NGK V-Power ZFR6F-115 (for about 6,500 miles) with no problems but realized the elctrode location is approx. 3/16" shallower into the combustion chamber and could speculate logically that this could result in poorer performance so I opted back to indexing new OEM plugs.
7 - The above sums it up on my SRT10. I went the OEM, then platinum, then iridium route on my Hemi but opted back to OEM. On it and my SRT10 I seem to have quicker starts and a smoother idle with OEM plugs. My thought is more dollars on plugs doesn't equal any improvement. Yep....wasted some money to reach that conclusion.

oldguy

Thank you SilvrSRT10 and Oldguy for not "high jacking" the thread and re-directing it back to the topic at hand. And more importantly, thank you for giving your candid feed back.

-Joe

NGK 6988. One step colder than stock.
Two (2) steps colder, not one (1).
reference other threads on this subject.

Bone said:
Two (2) steps colder, not one (1).
If the NGK stock replacement plug is a 6 (ZFR6FIX-11). Then why would a 7 (BKR7EIX-11) be two steps colder. I would think that the 8 would be two steps colder. Enlighten me please. With the NGK's, the higher the number the colder the plug (for those that don't know).

I've posted on this before. I just don't have time to track down my posts and threads for you.

Reference NGK web site too. 6's were one step colder. Stock temp were a different NGK plug altogether.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?productTypeID=1&AAIA=1431796
I see now they are referencing them as stock, but that is not what they said on the phone. Also, if you compare a stock champion to them you will see a slight size difference. They may be close and NGK is force matching them. They were made as a Mini Cooper plug originally as I was told by their tech guy.

So call them 1.5 times colder then if you want to compromise.

Also, if you compare the colder bosch's to the NGKs 7s you will see a slight difference in size and plug height.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back