Speaker Problem?

rodtek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently, the rear Infinity speaker underneath the back seat is going cutting in and out. Before it actually started cutting out entirely, it would buzz on occasion.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm not a stereo expert so I don't know if it's a speaker problem, relay or something else...I removed the cover and speaker screws, but was unsuccessful in taking the speaker out to inspect it....and didn't wanna keep messin' with it for fear of $@#! something up. Is there a trick to removing the subwoofer?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited:
have you checked if the wiring plug is connected to the amp properly?

I had the same thing a while back and it turned out the plug wasn't in completely...

Floor said:
have you checked if the wiring plug is connected to the amp properly?

I had the same thing a while back and it turned out the plug wasn't in completely...
Hello Floor, if you're referring to that plug that's right on the side of the speaker...yeah..I checked that....if not, then no I haven't.

Last edited:
mauiSRT/10 said:
Sounds like a plug problem or ground problem to me. Is everything stock? Check connections at sub amp and at sub speaker.

patrick
Hi mauiSRT/10,

Everything is still stock....is the "sub amp" located underneath the speaker?

Thanks

Not sure where it is in the qc but in an rc its in the bottom compartment between the front seats. Sorry thats prolly not much help. One of the hardcore stereo guys will chime in soon.

patrick

rodtek said:
Hello Floor, if you're referring to that plug that's right on the side of the speaker...yeah..I checked that....if not, then no I haven't.

was refering to the plug which goes in the amp (underneath the center console/seat).

Hey Rodtek, sounds like the voice coil could be going in the speaker (if you already checked the plug). An easy way to test this is to put light pressure on the subwoofer cone (hand on the paper part pushing lightly against the speaker) This is done when the speaker is moving at about 50 percent. DO NOT PUSH THE SUB CONE SIDEWAYS, only push it in. If it makes that buzzing noise or stops playing then your voice coil has warped or started to deform due to heat.

To take it out is quite easy. Remove the chrome allen head screws (they are only for show and are very short. Be careful they are only in the plastic. Once you removed them pull cover off. Then remove the real screws. Once this is done you will not be able to pull the speaker up. Look around the edge and you will find a metal lip. Start there with a screw driver (cover the tip in tape as to not damage plastic) and the sub will pop right out. When you put it back in make sure the 2 sets of wires don't get pinced under the magnet.

mauiSRT/10 said:
Not sure where it is in the qc but in an rc its in the bottom compartment between the front seats. Sorry thats prolly not much help. One of the hardcore stereo guys will chime in soon.

patrick
Okay, I will take a look. Thanks

Floor said:
was refering to the plug which goes in the amp (underneath the center console/seat).
Oh, I haven't looked there...I'll check it out.

Thanx

5_0_BAIT said:
Hey Rodtek, sounds like the voice coil could be going in the speaker (if you already checked the plug). An easy way to test this is to put light pressure on the subwoofer cone (hand on the paper part pushing lightly against the speaker) This is done when the speaker is moving at about 50 percent. DO NOT PUSH THE SUB CONE SIDEWAYS, only push it in. If it makes that buzzing noise or stops playing then your voice coil has warped or started to deform due to heat.

To take it out is quite easy. Remove the chrome allen head screws (they are only for show and are very short. Be careful they are only in the plastic. Once you removed them pull cover off. Then remove the real screws. Once this is done you will not be able to pull the speaker up. Look around the edge and you will find a metal lip. Start there with a screw driver (cover the tip in tape as to not damage plastic) and the sub will pop right out. When you put it back in make sure the 2 sets of wires don't get pinced under the magnet.
I'll definitely try this in the event the plugs check out.....I gotta feeling it's more than the plug though, but I hope not.

Thanx

I have similar problems with mine. It still plays fine but makes a squealing sound when I start the truck up or turn it off. Sounds like a bad ground to me but i have checked every connection I can. I am thinking the amp is on its way out.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back