Special Thanks to Dan Cragin

SrtBrad

Michel Productions
Reaction score
Dan Cragin (Formerly DC Performance) is now Specialty Performance Team out of Alhambra CA. Dan was kind enough to get my differential issue on the right track. Here is Dan website:

Specialty Performance Team - Specialty Performance Team

My truck is at Unitrax out of Anaheim CA. They will be doing a teardown and inspection of the problem. This shop is highly recommended and respected in the Viper community. Here is Unitrax's website:

Unitrax • Differential and driveline parts and service. Ratio Changes & Overdrives. Axle Shafts. Using parts from the most reliable companies in the drivetrain industry: Dana Spicer, American Axle, US Gear, Timken, Gear Vendors, OS Giken, Autotech, F

I will post the before pictures soon. Thanks to Jerry Miller (Trainman) for the continued support on the VnmPwrd truck!:rock:

Guess the problem:

IMG_1630_zps1a836e2d.jpg

IMG_1643_zpscdaeefc7.jpg

IMG_1644_zps0043d370.jpg

IMG_1641_zpsc8dc354d.jpg

Did the bolt that holds the side gears break and then the shaft jam into the diff cover?

Holy shit brad, I had to buy a 12 inch long drill bit to drill the retaining bolt out of mine and yours just fell out, go figure.

Wow! that is ugly.

Yeah, do what's normally a pain in the ass just fell out for you?
Too many doughnuts Adrian!!:chain:

I've seen this with 10 bolts, 12 bolts, and Dana 44's. It's not unfeasible to think it can happen with our rear ends (c-clipped semi floaters). Every time I have seen it, it happened under hard launch conditions.

That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out. Is this problem mostly related to off the line or drifting? And what can be done to avoid this type of problem from happening again.

That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out. Is this problem mostly related to off the line or drifting?

Could be both, because in our diffs the weight of the vehicle rests on the axle shafts, not the axle housings. But, drifting didn't apply in any of the breakages I've seen. Every single one of those happened under hard straight line launches or under hard acceleration.

Could be both, because in our diffs the weight of the vehicle rests on the axle shafts, not the axle housings. But, drifting didn't apply in any of the breakages I've seen. Every single one of those happened under hard straight line launches or under hard acceleration.

By that token you would think this would have happened to Trainman's truck at least ten times. Trainman has the 4.56 gears like mine but not sure what kind of gears. Wonder if there is any difference between the 05 and 06 gears at all?

Yeah but what else can do this. Where the donuts? Now you made me hungry prick!:D

I 'borrowed' your truck took off the rear brakes and put my slicks on and did about 120 hard launches... I'm suprised your clutch is still holding up...:p

they're towing the tank up this week... let's hope they don't jack it up anymore... the guy asked me if there were any modifications.... 'its basically stock'... then under my breath i said tires :D

By that token you would think this would have happened to Trainman's truck at least ten times. Trainman has the 4.56 gears like mine but not sure what kind of gears. Wonder if there is any difference between the 05 and 06 gears at all?
I don't think it's a year thing. Your's just happen to break. My truck uses zero oil between oil changes. Others report using up to a quart. The difference isn't the year, it's just a variance between trucks.

I 'borrowed' your truck took off the rear brakes and put my slicks on and did about 120 hard launches... I'm suprised your clutch is still holding up...:p

they're towing the tank up this week... let's hope they don't jack it up anymore... the guy asked me if there were any modifications.... 'its basically stock'... then under my breath i said tires :D

Welcome back brother! How's the Supertank?

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back