Squeaky pulley part 2/death rattle

The belt was good and dry too. When we pulled it off, it stayed in the same shape as the pulleys. (almost star shaped) I think that better get changed as well.

new belt and both idler and tensioner pulleys would not hurt

new belt and both idler and tensioner pulleys would not hurt
I'm going to do that too since its being done. Its expensive, but I think I'd rather have someone who knows our engines take a look at it. I'll pay extra for that security and just to have it all done and not be worrying about anything.

I'm going to do that too since its being done. Its expensive, but I think I'd rather have someone who knows our engines take a look at it. I'll pay extra for that security and just to have it all done and not be worrying about anything.

Very smart idea!

Well, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I called the dealership to check on my ride and they asked me if I was sitting down. They said that it was "bad". They said they couldn't replace just the crank and that a new engine would be $24,000. (more than the truck is worth) They said they were putting together options for me and that I would be sure to get a "discount". I am 95 percent sure I couldve bolted that pulley back and been on my way. Any advice? Is this the end of the road for my favorite vehicle that I've had for 1 year next month? IS THERE ANY HOPE?

Well, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I called the dealership to check on my ride and they asked me if I was sitting down. They said that it was "bad". They said they couldn't replace just the crank and that a new engine would be $24,000. (more than the truck is worth) They said they were putting together options for me and that I would be sure to get a "discount". I am 95 percent sure I couldve bolted that pulley back and been on my way. Any advice? Is this the end of the road for my favorite vehicle that I've had for 1 year next month? IS THERE ANY HOPE?

What 24 grand for engine? Is that a joke. You can find them for 12 to 15 for a new one

Go look at the damage!! Pay the shop for their time and have it towed home. $24K for an engine is B.S. Where are you located? If you can still put a balancer on the crank with a press fit I would try it first prior to throwing in the towel.

Go look at the damage!! Pay the shop for their time and have it towed home. $24K for an engine is B.S. Where are you located? If you can still put a balancer on the crank with a press fit I would try it first prior to throwing in the towel.
Thats actually kind of the plan. I want to see what their "options" are. The guy who looked at it with me this weekend thought the same thing. I also have only talked over the phone. I haven't been down there yet. I need to see something other than, "bad" or there is some "bad stuff going on". However, I will be sure to "get a discount".

Message Justin @JMB or Venomous1 or email Sean Roe. Detail exactly what happened and see what they think. Worst case if you have to swap in a engine, you can get a good used one for 8k or less through places X2 Builders. And I promise that Venomous or JMB can rebuild your engine better than stock for waaaaaay less than 24k. Hell, You could get a build engine and ProCharger kit from JMB for probably 15k or less. Dealership is full of shit. They don't want to do the work. They just want to swap engines and call it a day and rape your bank account.

Tell them to pump the brakes!! Take a ride down and lay eyes on it and have them show you why the engine needs to be replaced as ICPREY said. I had mine come off on my first truck at about 4k rpm and didn't cause any damage. Put a new balancer on and drove it for another 25k miles before trading it in. Don't let them take you for a fool!!

Tell them to pump the brakes!! Take a ride down and lay eyes on it and have them show you why the engine needs to be replaced as ICPREY said. I had mine come off on my first truck at about 4k rpm and didn't cause any damage. Put a new balancer on and drove it for another 25k miles before trading it in. Don't let them take you for a fool!!
Mine loosened in the garage! Thanks guys. I'm about to call and find out their other options. I don't think I'll be doing anything with them though. I think they threw me the 24K to make any other option not sound as bad. I'll let you all know how it goes and will drive down and make them show me the damage as well. I'm not going to get taken advantage of. I felt like it was iffy but hearing from you all validated that.

Mine loosened in the garage! Thanks guys. I'm about to call and find out their other options. I don't think I'll be doing anything with them though. I think they threw me the 24K to make any other option not sound as bad. I'll let you all know how it goes and will drive down and make them show me the damage as well. I'm not going to get taken advantage of. I felt like it was iffy but hearing from you all validated that.

Good luck man, if you need anything feel free to ask and I will do my best to help out.

Update: I think I'm gonna be okay. The dealership still insists that the crank is shot, but we were shown no evidence that it was. They showed us a bolt that was two different colors: (black where it sat inside the balancer, the part that was not was much lighter colored) They also said that the threads that the bolt screws into were shot. (this was not the case) We asked what the diameter of the crank was supposed to be vs what it was. No answer could be provided. When they pulled calipers out to measure, they gave a larger diameter for the crankshaft than for the balancer inner diameter. (I believe that this was poor use of calipers) I can tell that they do not want to try a new balancer. Theyve opened "a case" to see what other options are. Part of this is that they couldn't guarantee that to be a permanent fix. I will give them till today to decide if they want to try the following: A new balancer, a new bolt, maybe some retaining compount, and a new belt. If they feel like this is too much of a "quick fix" I will not ask them to do the work. I am hesitant to ask them to do something that they think will fail before they even try it. This is going on week 3. I am ready to get something resolved.

To keep rambling, I think that they heard what happened and had already decided I needed a new block before they looked at it. Once they say that, they don't want to say okay, well, we can try this for a few hundred or you can spend anywhere between 7-24 thousand dollars.
At one point, when the SRT tech said that the threads were bad, he said he didn't have a tap big enough to clean them up. I'm thinking, okay, we don't have the right tool, better get a whole new engine!

Being that I work at a dealership, I am the last person to bad mouth a dealership. With that being said, find a new dealer, seriously!! I'm sorry you are having such a bad experience with this situation.

Being that I work at a dealership, I am the last person to bad mouth a dealership. With that being said, find a new dealer, seriously!! I'm sorry you are having such a bad experience with this situation.
Writing it all down makes it clearer that this hasn't been a good experience and I should probably go somewhere else. I called yesterday and they said they'd opened a "star" case. Does that mean anything to you? If they don't like my proposal today, I've got to have it towed again. I'd like for them to fix it, but my confidence is shaken.

you should have towed it a long time ago. there's nothing to gain from making them proposals. They clearly don't want to do the correct work or possibly don't even know what they are doing. I don't know why you're still wasting your time with this place. They're probably just going to fuck you over on $$$ and fuck up your truck. Dealerships aren't the only places that can fix a vehicle.

Writing it all down makes it clearer that this hasn't been a good experience and I should probably go somewhere else. I called yesterday and they said they'd opened a "star" case. Does that mean anything to you? If they don't like my proposal today, I've got to have it towed again. I'd like for them to fix it, but my confidence is shaken.

STAR is Chrysler's technical assistance network. If you have a problem that you are having difficulty fixing you can type the concern into the system and it will show if someone else has experienced the same problem and what the potential fix is. If they opened a new case an advisor will assist them in what the proper repair would be, which doesn't make sense to me. Give me a minute I will do a quick hits search and see if there are any STAR online cases that apply.

I see no STAR cases that apply.

I see no STAR cases that apply.
Thanks for checking. I had researched the problem a lot and was pretty informed. They appear to have not heard of it. It looks like I have to go rescue my vehicle and my bank account while either still exist.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back