SRT 10 value drop

Gaboon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear other peoples opinion's as to why the SRT 10 continues to lose value. People are able to pick these things up pretty cheap now compared to invoice. I just find it strange that for what it is, I would think they would hold their value a little better.

Gaboon said:
I would like to hear other peoples opinion's as to why the SRT 10 continues to lose value. People are able to pick these things up pretty cheap now compared to invoice. I just find it strange that for what it is, I would think they would hold their value a little better.

imho , i think now they stopped production the ones who want to sell have to wait a while....they will become collectibles ....:D
I assume alot of buyers were not fully aware of what it would give...it's not a normal car/truck, perhaps , and ,i don't want to offend anybody ! , reason was because a Viper engine was within reach... Now honestly as a daily driver i prefer others , as a fun car compareble with sportscars but with room ( for a pony..:D ) which is for big peope ( like me :eek: ) a bonus :rock: :rock:

Now i never sell that baby :p :elefant: :elefant:

It is the economy ,fears of the Iraq "police Action" will continue like Viet Nam,
the housing markert ( forclosuers/ interest worries affecting the stock market) bankrupcies (spelling sucks today)and unemployment worries.:(
oops forgot about the Oil Prices!!!!!!!

It will get worse before it gets better, most likely after the elections:( :(

Contrary opinion...

This was a narrow spectrum venture. Only a few people want a high performance vehicle, that happens to be a truck. The Universe of people who will buy this vehicle is minuscule. Hence only a run of three years of production. The third year was a bust and we may never hear the number sold in 05 and 06 because it tells a story of failure from a marketing perspective.

Now combine that small universe of people who would buy a new SRT 10 truck with the prevailing perception of the new buyers (heavy footed, speed freaks ) and you will encounter a very suspicious, incredibly small group of people who are willing to purchase our trucks.

I seriously doubt that this truck will ever become a sought after collector item. There may end up being a few that have very low miles and are unmodified that will bring their original purchase price ten years from now...but not very many.

Those that have modifications will decline in price even more rapidly than the completely stock ones. Modifications performance or appearance, appeal to the person who installs the mods. This once again narrows the appeal to a precious few. For example, put black rims on one of these trucks and you rule out a huge number of people who like the bright original wheels...that does not broaden the appeal, it just reduces the market place, while it might be the deciding factor for a few, most would prefer to do what they want to do to the vehicle.

If you are holding for investment purposes, you will probably be disappointed. I plan to trade my truck when I get tired of it for book value on my next lusty impulse...someone will get a great truck with over $20k of performance mods for SRT 10 retail...the mods were for me...and will not mean anything to most of the tiny potential market for my old truck.

Last edited:
Prof said:
Contrary opinion...

This was a narrow spectrum venture. Only a few people want a high performance vehicle, that happens to be a truck. The Universe of people who will buy this vehicle is minuscule. Hence only a run of three years of production. The third year was a bust and we may never hear the number sold in 05 and 06 because it tells a story of failure from a marketing perspective.

Now combine that small universe of people who would buy a new SRT 10 truck with the prevailing perception of the new buyers (heavy footed, speed freaks ) and you will encounter a very suspicious, incredibly small group of people who are willing to purchase our trucks.

I seriously doubt that this truck will ever become a sought after collector item. There may end up being a few that have very low miles and are unmodified that will bring their original purchase price ten years from now...but not very many.

Those that have modifications will decline in price even more rapidly than the completely stock ones. Modifications performance or appearance, appeal to the person who installs the mods. This once again narrows the appeal to a precious few. For example, put black rims on one of these trucks and you rule out a huge number of people who like the bright original wheels...that does not broaden the appeal, it just reduces the market place, while it might be the deciding factor for a few, most would prefer to do what they want to do to the vehicle.

If you are holding for investment purposes, you will probably be disappointed. I plan to trade my truck when I get tired of it for book value on my next lusty impulse...someone will get a great truck with over $20k of performance mods for SRT 10 retail...the mods were for me...and will not mean anything to most of the tiny potential market for my old truck.

i agree Prof, you can never profit the collectible value yourself...and even then for grandkids it will be more to hold instead of sell... but look at those vettes 454 or Hemi's with them biggest engines from the days... now....:)

because they are slow , gas guzzling , noisy , pieces of crap, plain and simple.

you can buy a lightning, get better mileage, mod them for tons less, and go tons faster, cheaper

As Roy stated, the truck appeals to a very small market. Hence the lack of demand, and the drop in value. It's all supply and demand. No demand equals low prices.

I do however disagree with Roy regarding their future value. Older trucks are gaining in value as most cars are out of the price range that the majority of people can pay. This eventually will be picked up by the investors and they will then make drive up the prices of the pickups.

Anyway, that's my opinion for what it's worth.

If history is any indicator, I must agree with Prof.

Based on the value (what people are willing to pay) for Lil Rdd Express trucks (only 2,188 made in 1978 and 5,XXX in 1979) the future is not real bright for the SRT-10 market. A pristine 100% original very low miles 1978 Lil Red went for about $50K at Barrett Jackson last year. If you look on e-bay, people are almost giving away the 1979s.

From the Barrett-Jackson website:

Photo LotNumber Year Make Model CarStyle Price Auction
Select 600 1978 DODGE LIL RED EXPRESS PICKUP 16000.00 Palm Beach 2007
Select 608 1978 DODGE D15 LI'L RED EXPRESS PICKUP 18000.00 Scottsdale 2007
Select 767 1978 DODGE LI'L RED EXPRESS PICKUP 49000.00 Scottsdale 35th Anniversary 2006
Select 603 1978 DODGE LI'L RED EXPRESS TRUCK 22500.00 PBCCA Palm Beach 2006
Select 324 1978 DODGE LI'L RED EXPRESS TRUCK 20500.00 Scottsdale 2005
Select 606 1978 DODGE LI'L RED EXPRESS PICKUP 20000.00 Scottsdale 2004
Select 501 1978 DODGE LI'L RED EXPRESS 26500.00 Scottsdale 2003
Select 501.1 1978 DODGE LI'L RED EXPRESS 30500.00 Scottsdale 2003

Just my observation and opinion (and we all know what opinions are like..:D )

Last edited:
includemeout said:
It is the economy ,fears of the Iraq "police Action" will continue like Viet Nam,
the housing markert ( forclosuers/ interest worries affecting the stock market) bankrupcies (spelling sucks today)and unemployment worries.:(
oops forgot about the Oil Prices!!!!!!!

It will get worse before it gets better, most likely after the elections:( :(

That would be the answer

yeah figuring once things settle down value will go back up but right now market is bad. if i could afford it i would buy another right now while they are cheap :)

My lease buy out is about $33K in 15 months. I keep telling myself that I am going to keep it because it will hold its value. I am thinking I have poor judgement at this point. I feel the R/C will hold there value better, a 6-speed in these trucks with the Viper V-10...that will always have some appeal. The QC (especially 06's) are just fat hogs, but doesn't change the fact that in the last 2 days, a couple of kids have just stared at my truck with a huge grin, turned to there parents and said "is that the Viper truck". People love these trucks, but either think they cost more than they do, would rather have a "vette" :dontknow: , or just don't want it as a daily driver. People ask me about my truck every day! so atleast I have that going for me:D

PS...the real reason I bought it! ->:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

i personally liken our trucks to how the hemi cuda's were when they were produced in the early seventies...... big, powerful, rare & late to the game as we were heading into the gas crunch of the mid-seventies....... granted, it is a truck, but what a rare piece (and it ain't no lightning, thank god !!)...... and as the numbers continue to dwindle thru street racing (did i just say that ??!!) & accidents, years from now (probably 30) i think their values will climb for the stock, pristine, low miles ones that are still available........

now with all that said, i have never purchased any vehicle for investment purposes....... who knows if it will go up, who cares..... i bought this truck because it fit my needs & is bad ass..... people who don't own one, wouldn't understand anyways..... just a bunch of haters.......:D
i remember when the v-10's were first coming to the dodge trucks back in '94..... i went to the dealership (driving an '85 ram pu w/440 & a 4spd) to get me one, only to find out that they didn't come with the viper v-10 & trans...... when i asked if dodge would ever make a performance truck with the viper drivetrain, they just laughed & said it would never happen...... well, it finally did 10 yrs later & i'm glad it did !!!:D

we are still the "fastest production pickup on the planet"......:rock:

Last edited:
With that line of thinking, in 1978 a Lil Red Wagon sold around 6 - 7,000 at most. If it is sell at $50K now at Barret Jackson, just think what the value the SRT10 will be in 25-30 years.

A Lil Red Wagon was built during the middle of gas crisis in the 70's. Worst performance vehicles made were from 74 - 79. The big 3 were building cars that were either show with no go, or 4 bangers that fell apart in a few years. i.e. the Pinto, the Vega,

Plus the new car prices and inflation, I figure An SRT10 in excellent condition are going to go for at least 4 - 10 times the sticker price. (If not higher.)

Look at the 1969 Dodge Daytona with the hemi.... low production with a big following. Can't touch one of those for under 100 grand if lucky.

The SRT not go up in value in the short term, but will be one of those vehicles that will be a collector’s item if unmolested or abused.

So quite powder coating your intake lime Green!

Small Market, for a minority of humans that can appreciate such a Vehicle...

I mean, just look at how many cars sell with Viper Engines.....

rofl_lmao.jpg

Stinker said:
because they are slow , gas guzzling , noisy , pieces of crap, plain and simple.

you can buy a lightning, get better mileage, mod them for tons less, and go tons faster, cheaper

You can buy a Focus too and mod it to be faster than a Viper with far less money.... :D

Gas prices going up and down and fuel economy are the main worries/concerns for MOST folks nowadays I'd say...

Hell, I got mine b/c I may never have another chance to own one nor may I be around tomorrow!!!
Fuckin' A, it's a Viper V-10 in a truck... Woo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock:

BDR SRT-10 said:
Gas prices going up and down and fuel economy are the main worries/concerns for MOST folks nowadays I'd say...

Hell, I got mine b/c I may never have another chance to own one nor may I be around tomorrow!!!
Fuckin' A, it's a Viper V-10 in a truck... Woo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock:
:dito: :dito: :dito: :dito: :dito: :dito: :dito: :dito: :dito: :dito: :dito: :rock:

yeah didn't really get mine to turn a profit years down road got it cause i love sports cars they just don't really like me i am a 6'4 tall guy at over 300lbs lol i am not comfortable in most sports cars this truck i am completely comfortable in it and it has quite a bit of kick to it :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back