Starter Questions?

doneo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having some problems with the starter on my truck.....it seems that once the motor runs for a while it has some difficulty cranking and sometimes won't crank at all.....when she's cold she's fine.....when she soaks some heat she's worse....is that a typical problem? do starter motors suffer from heat soak related problems? i'm running mopar long tube headers, anyone have a similar issue? if I replace the starter motor is there anyway to help prevent this from happening again? any and all advice would be welcome....Thanks in Advance!

Don as I recall Roktman and a few other guys had similar starter issues when running headers due to how close the starter is to the headers and the additional heat from the headers. I believe when they replaced their starter they were putting an additonal heat wrap around it to prevent further issues. You should be able to find the heat shield on Jegs or similar sites..Hope this helps brudda!

Craig said:
Don as I recall Roktman and a few other guys had similar starter issues when running headers due to how close the starter is to the headers and the additional heat from the headers. I believe when they replaced their starter they were putting an additonal heat wrap around it to prevent further issues. You should be able to find the heat shield on Jegs or similar sites..Hope this helps brudda!

I'm going from memory also, but I believe Craig is correct.

Thank you both very much.....I'll look for the heat shield.....bringing it to the stealership tomorrow morning to get it taken care of....scary!

yep jegs and summit sell wraps for starters to protect from heat.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back