STEERING HELP

vh_enriquez

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought 3 months ago my 2005 RC, 35,000 miles. Very good shape. But everytime I race it in highway, steering fluid leaks. I have replaced the hoses for braided and it keeps leaking after 10-15 min. of racing. I am tired of this. It has been fixed 5 times. I just run it and leaks again. The steering pump used to make a noise like it needed fluid, even tough it was on top.

I ordered a new steering pump from rockauto and they sent me a wrong part (I paid for the part, expensive shipping to Mx and import duties...)

Most of the time in these 3 months, my truck has been down, so I took it to the stealership here in Mexico.

They said it needs new hoses, new steering pump, new fluid deposit and a new fan, as it has been damaged...

Total cost: $50,000 mxn (around $3k usd)...

I am taking it out of the stealership.

Any suggestions??? I love the truck, but I am getting tired of this and would not like to get rid of it. Everything else is in great shape.

I was thinking on mayben doing a new steering pump and electric fan. Is there a way to do this?

thanks
Victor.

There is an electric fan conversion. Dont remember who makes it, I think its Roeracing. that might be your best bet.

I just got a call back from the stealership. They lowered the price to $2,300 and offered me 3 months of guarantee. I took the option specially for the guarantee. If I do the repair and import the parts, I will expect something around $1800 total without the certain of it to be fixed and specially not guarantee.

Once I receive it, I will push it to the limits to see if it will break down inside guarantee. Big bucks, but I want to keep it.

Can you Define racing? Sounds like you're seriously overheating the engine. Anything will boil/burn if you get it hot enough.

By racing I mean highway speeds ranging from 70 to 120 mph discontinuosly for traffic, but accelerating again at WOT, all this for periods of 10 minutes aprox. Engine temperature remains normal when doing so, until the leak begins.

I do the same with all my vehicles and this is the only one who is suffering a continuos leak.

By racing I mean highway speeds ranging from 70 to 120 mph discontinuosly for traffic, but accelerating again at WOT, all this for periods of 10 minutes aprox. Engine temperature remains normal when doing so, until the leak begins.

I do the same with all my vehicles and this is the only one who is suffering a continuos leak.

She should handle that no problem.
Is the cooling fan working at all? If it's locked up all that pressure has to go some place.

I guess it was working, at least under normal use, but maybe it was geting stucked at high rpm and that could have been the reason. The dealership said it needed replacement.

have you pin pointed where the leak is coming from ? I myself have installed the aftermarket powersteering lines and developed a worse leak, it was the o-ring on the new fitting and screwed into the pump, i took the old o-ring off the old fitting and installed it on the new fitting and bolted it back up and have been dry since. its a simple fix but a fustrasting deal cuz you know you have new lines that arent suppose to leak lol.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back