Steering noise

vh_enriquez

Reaction score
Hi
I got a question. When I drive the truck, it starts to make a noise as if there was low steering fluid, you know that whistle... It makes it even when not turning the steering wheel. A month ago, a steering hose broke so I replaced with braided but, my mechanic only changed the upper one, which was the one leaking (I wanted both but he didn't). The fluid is on top at this moment.

When driving it is making the noise, but quits when I press the clutch pedal.

Any clues?

Thanks
Victor

Hi
I got a question. When I drive the truck, it starts to make a noise as if there was low steering fluid, you know that whistle... It makes it even when not turning the steering wheel. A month ago, a steering hose broke so I replaced with braided but, my mechanic only changed the upper one, which was the one leaking (I wanted both but he didn't). The fluid is on top at this moment.

Any clues?

Thanks
Victor

Quits with clutch pedal? That's sounds driveline/clutch related rather than PS.

I can't see depressing the clutch changing a steering noise. As Scott said you may want to start checking for a clutch / driveline issue.

Hi

Any clues?

Thanks
Victor
make sure they replace the lower line, and get all the air out of the system and be 100% sure they are using the right fluid, if wrong it will cavitate and cause the whining noise and yessir it will get quite with the clutch in

make sure they replace the lower line, and get all the air out of the system and be 100% sure they are using the right fluid, if wrong it will cavitate and cause the whining noise and yessir it will get quite with the clutch in

Ok, I just spent the last 4hrs riding (motorcycle) across the Mojave desert. Average temp wasn't too bad at around 115F but did see 119F for about an hour. I'm a bit tired and certainly a bit dehydrated but please explain in terms that even 1/2 brain dead person like me can understand how steering pump/fluid and clutch operation are related. No question on fluid though...

Side note...in my limited experience (and what I did) I would agree with the mechanic. Only need to replace the HP line off the steering pump.

I just got the lower hose changed too, for braided. I am Not sure what fluid they used but the noise is still there. I am not a professional mechanic but I have mid level knowledge, and I would bet an eye that the noise I hear is steering noise. It also makes a little when standing still, I turn the steering wheel. I have turned it 5 times from side to side to get rid of air bit nothing. The faster I accelerate, the noisier it gets. I also don't find a logic relation between clutch and steering noise, but it does. In fact, when I release clutch in 1st gear to start moving, the noise begins.

I will try tomorrow to drain the system myself and add the atf+4. I have never done it. Any special suggestion?

Thanks to all

Ok, I just spent the last 4hrs riding (motorcycle) across the Mojave desert. Average temp wasn't too bad at around 115F but did see 119F for about an hour. I'm a bit tired and certainly a bit dehydrated but please explain in terms that even 1/2 brain dead person like me can understand how steering pump/fluid and clutch operation are related. No question on fluid though...

Side note...in my limited experience (and what I did) I would agree with the mechanic. Only need to replace the HP line off the steering pump.

common sense, the noise started when he replaced the ps lines, pretty simple if you think about it

I just got the lower hose changed too, for braided. I am Not sure what fluid they used but the noise is still there. I am not a professional mechanic but I have mid level knowledge, and I would bet an eye that the noise I hear is steering noise. It also makes a little when standing still, I turn the steering wheel. I have turned it 5 times from side to side to get rid of air bit nothing. The faster I accelerate, the noisier it gets. I also don't find a logic relation between clutch and steering noise, but it does. In fact, when I release clutch in 1st gear to start moving, the noise begins.

I will try tomorrow to drain the system myself and add the atf+4. I have never done it. Any special suggestion?

Thanks to all
Some of the trucks we found will make whine no matter what, we have found that some used other fluid, and when replaced wiwth the correct fluid, the noise got quieter,
the best way is to drain out the fluid, install new, loosen slightly the lower fitting, as it runs you should see small air bubbles come out, when no more ,tighten.
now some just make the noise, usually we find its an older ps unit with miles on it, some do not, also check and make sure they secured all the lines as the factory was. but again some do it , some do not, still haven't 100% figured that out

So I tried it, but it was going to be too messy, so I took it instead to the dealership, and arrived with the atf+4 Mopar bottles that I bought there in the morning. The next day, they called me and said it wasn't the right oil. I replied, it's what the manual says. They said they were sure it wasn't, and instead used ordinary steering fluid (I guess). I picked it up today and at the beginning it seemed to be fixed, but once the temp went to normal, the noise came back, not as much as before, but it was back, so I returned it to the stealership, and asked them to drain it again and use the one I said: atf+4... I guess the ordinary rams use ordinary steering fluid?

these trucks use the ATF+4 because it has a hydraulic fan which also uses the power steering pump, all regular rams (except Diesel) have mechanical fans, that is the difference

I have seen trans fluid used in power steering systems for more than 30 years. Mostly because it's cheaper then PS fluid. Figured the factory has one less fluid to buy.

I returned it to the dealership and told them to change it for ATF+4. They called me today and said the steering pump is damaged, that it has to be changed... $800 usd total repair. I will ask them tomorrow if they tried it with ATF+4 before.
Any taughts?

almost sounds like bs unless you have no power steering and you know for sure the pump is bad, the pump on my dakota is noisy like it has air or low on fluid but im not too worried bout it.

I returned it to the dealership and told them to change it for ATF+4. They called me today and said the steering pump is damaged, that it has to be changed... $800 usd total repair. I will ask them tomorrow if they tried it with ATF+4 before.
Any taughts?

Get it away from that dealer! Lol
As said they do make some noise. If you have steering and no issues otherwise you're good. Our pump runs the fan module as well so
Noise from the pump can vary depending on fan speed and rpm

That is right VR1. I took it out from the dealership this morning and Bought the atf+4 there (mopar), took to another shop and I asked them to drain and refill. It took 3 bottles. The noise is still there. Not when cold, but as soon as it reaches normal temp, it begins, and goes louder as rpms increases.

What is strange to me is that it didn't used to do it before.

It also sounds when I am releasing the clutch, half way only. Not with pedal inside, but comes back when rpms go up.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back