Sticky throttle problem

SRT-MIKE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shortly after the Roe TB install the gas pedal started sticking slightly at iddle, when I push it had enough (and mind you, it is not very hard) to overcome the sticking point it "pops" slightly and jerks into a higher rpm.

This is making it very anoying when shifting or taking off from a dead stop.

It is not constant, it's intermittent, but it's happening more and more... just about 80% of the time now.

I checked the TB and the butterfly appears to be completely free...

Could it be the cable? is there any way to lube the system?

Any thought would be appreciated!

To much slack in the go cable...?

I am try to figure it out myself...:D :D :D

Butterfly is probably binding, take off the filter and have someone press the accelerator while you watch it.

I would bet it is hanging up somewhere. I heard of this happening with the Hennesy TB's

I took off the filter and manually turned the throttle linkage, but everything seemed in order. Is there anything in the pedal assembly that might be causing this?

Since it is intermittent, maybe it is the butterfly after all... I wonder if smooting the edges would help.

Thanks for the input.

SRT-MIKE said:
I took off the filter and manually turned the throttle linkage, but everything seemed in order. Is there anything in the pedal assembly that might be causing this?

Since it is intermittent, maybe it is the butterfly after all... I wonder if smooting the edges would help.

Thanks for the input.

yes this is common with most of the tb's, take some 600 grit and lightly sand around the blade , you should be able to see the spot where it is binding, it should leave a mark in the bore

take off the TB and put a light behind it, this will show you where it is binding. take the material off of the blade first. if you want you can use a compund and go through the inside of the bore of the TB. My TB used to do this.

Stinker said:
yes this is common with most of the tb's, take some 600 grit and lightly sand around the blade , you should be able to see the spot where it is binding, it should leave a mark in the bore

That sounds like good advice, I'll give those edges a nice polish and go from there.

Thanks!

avmech said:
take off the TB and put a light behind it, this will show you where it is binding. take the material off of the blade first. if you want you can use a compund and go through the inside of the bore of the TB. My TB used to do this.

Thanks man.
I felt some tiny back-and-forth play on the shaft so I think it is not rubbing on the sides, maybe it's touching top or bottom.

Like others have mentioned, it's probably the throttle plate. Open the throttle with your had (at the TB) and let it snap shut. That can cause them to stick too. You can also try to adjust the throttle stop just enough to keep the plate from sticking in the bore.

avmech said:
stock TB doesent stick, nature of the aftermarket TB.
Care to come for a drive tomorrow? :)
Mine began doing this odd "idle at 2000 rpms then SLOWLY (5-10 minutes) go back to normal" the last 2 days.
No codes, so I'm not sure what's going on.
I'll look into it this weekend.

I'm pretty sure its not the TB, its your idle air controll valve, ist located under your TB. on the right hand side of your TB. its the one with the electrical plug on it. I had the same problem with mine. costs about 40 bucks and the dealer will set it back to zero for you for free. takes 5 mins to replace.

No problem, the idle controll seems to go out more often on a blown engine then a N/A. think its due to the extra force thats always on the controll valve, no one makes a stronger one and its only a little gear set inside of the mopar one, belive its like a little servo motor in it.

Last edited:
avmech said:
No problem, the idle controll seems to go out more often on a blown engine then a N/A. think its due to the extra force thats always on the controll valve, no one makes a stronger one and its only a little gear set inside of the mopar one, belive its like a little servo motor in it.

This makes sense to me.... :) :eek:

These sensors seem to be getting more and more fragile every model year! :confused: :dontknow: :mad: :(

Before heading to the dealership, I checked the engine bay- specifically around the throttle body- for possible damaged/disconnected wires,
I found that the CCV hose (from TB to CAI) had malformed at the TB inlet point. When cold, I'm sure it provided a nice tight seal, but once warm I'm guessing that seal was broken.

I added a hose clamp to the connection. The CCV hose will be replaced ASAP.

We'll find out in a few hours if this was causing my 'sticky stock TB'. :)

Sometimes Kevan it is good to remove the tb and take some carb cleaner and remove all the deposits from the tb, alot of times carbon will build up around the idle air solenoid

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back