STILL OVERHEATING!! Thermostat and bleed, PLEASE HELP!!

might sound weird but, does she smell hot???

thats a bit weird. our oil temps pretty much run with the water temp.

grab a holt of a temp gun & do a bit more trouble shootin.

ya got a reader/scanner to check for over heat codes???

seems a bit strange for her to act up "all" of a sudden

ya check between the a/c condensor & raditor??? might be some tumble weeds in thar or other stuff

Yeah I'll work on chasing scanner and gun over next few days. I'll probably try to flush completely before the rad shop. It doesn't smell hot. Smell some coolant but that's from bleeding.

Last edited:
if you're running 255+ on the engine that's not good... that's borderline overheating... well... technically it is overheating but that's close to doing potential damage, IMO...

and if you're oil temp isn't going up with it, then i don't think that's right...

also, most people put a 170 t stat in, not a 190... i wonder if your "new" thermostat is getting stuck - sometimes new parts are faulty. i'd put another one in there, no more than they cost and see if you have the same promblems...

It sounds like you still have a huge air pocket. I like to squeeze the hoses while nipple open to try and persuade air bubble out. Your engine coolant temp sensor will read higher when subjected to an air pocket. Hoping your oil temp gauge is accurate and that's similar to your actual coolant temp. Otherwise hoping its no head gasket. :(

if you're running 255+ on the engine that's not good... that's borderline overheating... well... technically it is overheating but that's close to doing potential damage, IMO...

and if you're oil temp isn't going up with it, then i don't think that's right...

also, most people put a 170 t stat in, not a 190... i wonder if your "new" thermostat is getting stuck - sometimes new parts are faulty. i'd put another one in there, no more than they cost and see if you have the same promblems...

yes I will be trying a different parts just to make sure as well.

It sounds like you still have a huge air pocket. I like to squeeze the hoses while nipple open to try and persuade air bubble out. Your engine coolant temp sensor will read higher when subjected to an air pocket. Hoping your oil temp gauge is accurate and that's similar to your actual coolant temp. Otherwise hoping its no head gasket. :(

I believe it is a huge air pocket. When I exchanged the thermostat I had less than a fourth of a cup leak of coolant. I'll do like the guys above mentioned and try a few cool and hot cycles to bleed it out over and over. I'll squeeze on that hose too. If that doesn't help I'll try replace with a new thermostat. Lastly, I'll go in for a head gasket opinion.

There is a tool that will pull a vacuum on your coolant system before you fill. It would be worth it to find a shop that has the tool so you can rule out the air pocket being a problem

This afternoon I'll put more time doing some cycles to flush out. I'll be calling around to find a good shopeho won't try to play me either. I'll update this thread this evening with changes.

There is a tool that will pull a vacuum on your coolant system before you fill. It would be worth it to find a shop that has the tool so you can rule out the air pocket being a problem

Yes sir, did that to mine when changing fluid and worked like a charm. :rock:

Yes sir, did that to mine when changing fluid and worked like a charm. :rock:

Called around and a performance shop in town will do it for $40. Guess I'll try that. I'd like to swap to a 170, does truck need to be tuned for this. Everyone around town says no need.

if I had to guess.... you said its been sitting a while... sounds like your Radiator has a restriction...

I wanna update you guys that chimed in with your wisdom. I ended up pulling the t-stat and replacing. Topped out fluids again then started the bleeding process again. It's a great day. Not gonna lie, I was puckering for a good while thinking about that head gasket. Kept thinking the worst. She back and alive again. Now to detail the engine from all the fluid splatter everywhere.:D

Great to hear and thanks for replying your final results for the next guy.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

:rock::rock::dancing2::rock::rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back