Stock 6sp question

lightningeater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a common problem for the stock tranny in my RC to pop outa reverse when its cold? I assume it is but I just want to be sure I don't need to take it in.

Wildman

I have a 2004 and it has never jumped out so far. It sounds like something that needs looked at.

Wade

Yes, its common to have shifting issues when its cold. First and reverse are hard shifts. Now, it "pops out" when it wasnt fully seated....which reverse is the hardest to feel.

Swap out the fluid to Redline ATF and your cold weather shifting blues are all gone ;)

bucke77 said:
what do you mean pops out?

I do not always get all the way into reverse, and it will come out of gear just when I start to back up.

What kind of shifter are you running ?

Mine does that off and on but it's not really poping out ,it was not fullly engaged so any preasure just pushes it back . It's only doing it in the cold because the fluid is just a bit thicker and the stock one comes from the factory with thicker oil than it needs . Soon as I get some time I am draining it and going with synthetic ATF, check the back threads on that . If you do a 5-6 shift before you go reverse it should not do it cold but really I would say change the fluid .
Have A Kind Day
Mike

when my tranny was going out it used to pop out of 1st all the time. But after my brand new tremec was put in no more problems. But it never poped out of reverse.:burnout:

sounds like i'm having the same problem as what hotrodmike is talking about. it doesn't necessarily pop out of gear, it just isn't fully engaged so it just grinds and feels like its about a half inch out of place. i'll try changing to a synthetic fluid and hope that it warms up around here soon.

lightningeater said:
sounds like i'm having the same problem as what hotrodmike is talking about. it doesn't necessarily pop out of gear, it just isn't fully engaged so it just grinds and feels like its about a half inch out of place. i'll try changing to a synthetic fluid and hope that it warms up around here soon.
I did think of something to add but I am fairly positive it's not what you are encountering . Reverse has a solinoid lock out so you can not shift into R while rolling . We have done a bunch of the Tremac's and had a few the link on the solinoid had some drag and would retract but still make it tight . Like I said once I started to ,start it run it from 5 to 6 with the clutch in then go to R it has never done it only when I try to hit R , it just likes to get wiggled so it knows you care :D
Have A Kind Day
Mike

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back