Stock shifter sticky

cold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks,

I am seeing some strange behavior with my shifter today. I pull it out of first and remove my hand. The shifter sticks to the left center for a couple seconds then pops to the center. I noticed the same behavior with pulling out of reverse. Any ideas? :dontknow: And yes I know stock shifter sucks but would like any help you can give that does not require replacing the shifter.

cold said:
Folks,

I am seeing some strange behavior with my shifter today. I pull it out of first and remove my hand. The shifter sticks to the left center for a couple seconds then pops to the center. I noticed the same behavior with pulling out of reverse. Any ideas? :dontknow: And yes I know stock shifter sucks but would like any help you can give that does not require replacing the shifter.
What type of fluid you using?

J.R.

JRSVIPR said:
What type of fluid you using?

J.R.

I am running on the factory fluid. The truck has 2000ish miles on it.

cold said:
I am running on the factory fluid. The truck has 2000ish miles on it.
Alot of the guys here run synthetic ATF. That is what tremec recommends .

J.R.

First remove your boot and make sure the shifter has not come loose from the tranny. This has happened to others.

Second , if it's not loose there may be a problem with the centering springs.

Third, get the X-Metal shifter you will be amazed at the difference!!!

Good Luck!!

Marc T said:
First remove your boot and make sure the shifter has not come loose from the tranny. This has happened to others.

Second , if it's not loose there may be a problem with the centering springs.

Third, get the X-Metal shifter you will be amazed at the difference!!!

Good Luck!!

:dito: :dito:

Check shifter bolts, swap tranny fluid to Mobil 1 ATF.

Had a similar problem with my stock shifter....it was sticking as well...sticking out of the dumpster ;) Its not a problem anymore....trash man came and fixed it :D

Just summarizing:

Check bolts; Order x-metal shifter; change to Mobil 1 ATF.

Got it?

I think we're all in agreement here. Hellboy should not post a comment on any thread with the words "sticky shifter" in it.:D

...or fluids.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back