Strange noise upon start up?

BDR SRT-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened yesterday afternoon for the first time and then again this afternoon :confused: ...
Lasts maybe 6-7 seconds after initial start-up and at first yesterday I thought I was just hearing what sounded like a sport bike zooming WOT down the highway . We live about 100 yds. from the main by-pass in town and can hear 'em now and then gunning it down the on-ramp, so I didn't pay it much attention... Although my wife looked at me and said it sounded to her like it was the truck, which by then it stopped... Didn't think much of it until again this afternoon it did it again and I clearly heard it was from the truck :mad: ! I just had the oil changed on Sat. and used the new Viper specific filter this time... :dontknow:

Perhaps the belt maybe? Or a loose pulley bolt somewhere? I've read on here to check 'em ever so often as they may come loose... Any suggestion guys and gals??

Mine's an 04 RC with 21,xxx miles BTW... Thanx!!

thats a comon sound .. i think every srt10 ive been in makes that sound when cold at start up ..

Forgive my noob-ness, but which one exactly is that pulley?? Or hell, should I just have 'em all checked again??
Also, if it is fairly common on SRT-10's, I've never heard this noise before on my truck until this w/e?? Actually it's never made any noises at all upon any start-ups since I've owned her :dontknow:

SRT10VENOMOUS said:
common thought on this is its the oil filter used ...
I have had both,Worn belt squeal,And oil filter squeal.Both happened at start up when cold.With the oil filter i thought it was the belt again,But remembered i tried a different oil filter a couple of days before.Changed back to the Mopar filter,No more noise.

When the truck sits for a day or longer at start up there is a
whining sound (high pitch sound)escalading for about 10-15
seconds then stops...When i start truck after it's been driven
no sound at all...Never thought nothing of it till this post...:dontknow:
So i guess i'm not the only one...

04 SRT 10 said:
When the truck sits for a day or longer at start up there is a
whining sound (high pitch sound)escalading for about 10-15
seconds then stops...When i start truck after it's been driven
no sound at all...Never thought nothing of it till this post...:dontknow:
So i guess i'm not the only one...
Are you using the Mopar oil filter?

04 SRT 10 said:
Yes the factory Mopar filter...From dealer
Then i would say change out the belt,And check the bolt while your there.That should take care of it.

Well hell, I just switched from that one to the new one with 'Viper' on it... Wonder why it would make noise?? I was with the tech under the truck when he put it on... We both checked to make sure the old o-ring was off and that he primed the new filter with oil before he screwed it on... Like I said, never made any noises until now :banghead:

BDR SRT-10 said:
Well hell, I just switched from that one to the new one with 'Viper' on it... Wonder why it would make noise?? I was with the tech under the truck when he put it on... We both checked to make sure the old o-ring was off and that he primed the new filter with oil before he screwed it on... Like I said, never made any noises until now :banghead:
I do not know about the new Viper filter making any noise,It should be fine.Have you checked the belt?

Nope. I will in the AM now... Perhaps just a coincident?? Any ideas on the cost of the new belt and its' part #??

BDR SRT-10 said:
Nope. I will in the AM now... Perhaps just a coincident?? Any ideas on the cost of the new belt and its' part #??
I would have to go through some paper work,I can't remember off hand.I think you should call them to order it before going in.Probably not in stock.

Mine does it with both the Mopar filter and the Viper filter.
Always has. It is not a belt. I have checked the pulley, belt looks fine and has good tension. My truck is an 04 with only has 7500Km (4700 miles)on it since I am hardly ever home to drive it. I change the oil every Spring and just before it goes into storage for the winter.

When I bought the truck new it had a black Mopar oil filter, that was the only time it didn't make the noise. Trouble is I threw that one away without getting a part number off it.
Anybody know what that filter was??:dontknow:

Alberta-SRT said:
Mine does it with both the Mopar filter and the Viper filter.
Always has. It is not a belt. I have checked the pulley, belt looks fine and has good tension. My truck is an 04 with only has 7500Km (4700 miles)on it since I am hardly ever home to drive it. I change the oil every Spring and just before it goes into storage for the winter.

When I bought the truck new it had a black Mopar oil filter, that was the only time it didn't make the noise. Trouble is I threw that one away without getting a part number off it.
Anybody know what that filter was??:dontknow:

Got one in my hand, Mopar #05281090 on box and filter:D

505'sFastestViper. said:
not to sound dumb......but how in the f**k does an oil filter make a loud noise?:dontknow: :dontknow:

Maybe from a bybass or back flow valve:dontknow: :D

We tried to put a billet oil filter on my truck (Boomer) and it caused the flapping noise...it is a back-flow valve...and the noise could not be stopped. We dropped the billet filter...

Prof said:
We tried to put a billet oil filter on my truck (Boomer) and it caused the flapping noise...it is a back-flow valve...and the noise could not be stopped. We dropped the billet filter...

Learn from the Master Grasshopper:rock: :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back