Supercharging with stock PCV system

VA VIPERAM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, as most of you know, I'm still relatively new to the SRT-10 world, so I am discovering new things about the design of our engines every day. I was looking at the PCV system to design a vacuum-break to keep the engine from sucking oil from the passenger side valve cover upon high RPM downshifting. This is common on lots of engines. The LS1 in my WS6 had the same problem which is why GM re-desinged the system for the LS2. I have a simple and inexpensive solution (planned) that will be C.A.R.B. legal if someone applies for it. I'm going to modify mine this weekend and I'll post the details later.

Anyway, back to the blower theme. I noticed that there was no check valve at all between the valve cover and the intake. The valve cover has a baffle, but it flows both ways. Which means that if you are supercharged with a centrifugal blower or turbocharged and have not modified your PCV system, you are pressurizing your block. :( This may cause oil leaks, but worst of all it causes ring flutter at upper RPMs which costs you horsepower. You drag-race guys already know this, which is why you used to hook the tops of the valve covers to the headers, so the headers could scavenge the block and seal the rings.

Like I said, I'm relatively new, so sorry if this is old news.;) :)

good post....

yeah a couple of us blew our dipsticks clean out of the motor....a simple check valve solves the problem....but on the big hp builds we have gone to a breather system with a catch can...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back